Faërian drama

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2007
      In a message dated 12/7/2007 11:35:41 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      jbcroft@... writes:

      Just something that sprung to my mind from your mention of Bottom's
      re-education - spells to create surpassing beauty or give someone an ass's head might
      be elements of "faerian drama" - as in Christopher Garbowski's article in
      Mythlore #90 where he sees It's a Wonderful Life as a faerian drama staged to
      teach George some home truths about his life - and therefore their proper uses
      might be outside the sphere of human understanding. In this way A Midsummer
      Night's Dream and A Christmas Carol can also be read as faerian dramas.

      How far can we push the idea of faërian drama? Is the movie Shallow Hal an
      example? In it a man is extremely superficial in his desire for a
      girlfriend. She must be spectacularly beautiful, even though he's not that handsome
      himself. A motivational guru who he goes to talk to tells him that henceforth
      he will see the inner beauty in all women, not their outer beauty. For some
      (basically magical) reason this changes his conscious perceptions, and
      henceforth he sees all women this way. He meets a woman he finds beautiful,
      although previously he would have rejected her because she was fat. He falls in
      love with her and she with him. When later (again for basically magical
      reasons) he ceases to see women's inner beauty, he almost breaks up with her
      because she didn't fit the superficial ideas about beauty he has always had.
      Then he realizes how ridiculous his ideas of beauty were and that their love for
      each other had nothing to do with his superficial desires, so he stays with
      her.

      I mention this film not because it's a particularly good one (and it isn't
      very good) but because there are a fair number of Hollywood films (and I
      presume also those from other countries) which only work because of what are
      really magical premises. Indeed, it's common for Hollywood films to be
      wish-fulfillment fantasies which can only work through non-realistic circumstances. To
      be a faërian drama, is it necessary to have the magic done by ghosts,
      angels, or fairies, or is it sufficient that the events of the movie could only
      happen if you assume magical processes could happen?