Re: Lucy, Galadriel, and Temptation

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 7, 2007
      Janet,

      Thanks for the great comments! That Tanith Lee story sounds wonderful. And I like the idea of the "faerian drama" here, too. So, if this is the case, do you think that the outcome Lucy sees -- war, jealousy, desolation, etc. -- is unique to her? That is to say, others might see different "stories" unfold in the illustrated manuscript? I suppose I assumed Lewis was indicating that war and desolation were the *inevitable* outcomes for anybody using the spell; but alternative readings are certainly possible. Also, we don't know whether the spell is permanent. Or whether it even "works" at all; perhaps the "spell" is simply the lesson one learns in the pictures, and could never actually be effected? I hadn't thought of that before ...

      Interesting conversation! Dawn Treader is probably my favorite of the Chronicles. :)

      Jason

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 7, 2007
        Look what happened to Nebuchudnezzar. God took his reason, and he ate grass for seven years. Now, THAT's a spell. Much worse than giving a man an asses' head, no? ---djb

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 7, 2007
          On Dec 7, 2007, at 8:00 AM, Jason Fisher wrote:
          >> So, I assume that for _some_ people and in _some_ circumstances,
          >> the "beauty" spell might be used for good.
          >
          > Can you actually think of such a scenario? Perhaps it's a limit to
          > my imagination, but I can't.

          Maybe it's simpler than that. If people wish upon a star, in a
          magical world that star has to be able to grant their wish, right?
          And 'fairest in the land' is a pretty standard one. So it's not
          surprising an ex-star would know how to do that.
          That said, the whole thing of letting Lucy misuse the spellbook
          and only intervening when she thinks about doing so again has always
          been one of my least favorite scenes in the book. I can try to
          rationalize Aslan's behavior, but in the end it always comes across
          as arbitrary to me. One of the reasons I can read the books as
          fantasy but not as allegory.

          --JDR
        • Marc Drayer
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 7, 2007
            I've been thinking about this, and it prompted me to come out of
            lurkdom. It has occured to me that the beauty spell wasn't evil of
            itself, but in the way Lucy originally wanted it. In the book, it
            showed Lucy standing before the book with a terrible expression on
            her face, reciting the spell, then all those horrible things
            followed. Lucy had wanted the beauty for herself in the wrong way.
            In The Magician's Nephew, when Aslan tells Digory to get a magic
            apple for the protection of Narnia, Digory comes to the gate with
            this inscription:

            Come in by the gold gates or not at all,
            Take of my fruit for others or forbear.
            For those who steal and those who climb my wall
            Shall find their heart's desire and find despair.

            Aslan later explained to Digory that this magic works according to
            its nature, but if taken at the wrong time in the wrong way,
            disaster follows. The fruit is good, but they loathe it ever after.
            As Aslan said "All get what they want: They do not always like it."
            If any Narnian, unbidden had stolen an apple, it would have
            protected Narnia, but only by making it into a strong and cruel
            empire like Charn.

            Lewis gives another hint to what he is saying in That Hideous
            Strength, when Jane Studdock reads this mysterious passage:

            "The beauty of the female is the root of joy to the female as well
            as to the male, and it is no accident that the goddess of Love is
            older and stronger than the god. To desire the desiring of one's own
            beauty is the vanity of Lilith, but to desire the enjoying of one's
            own beauty is the obedience of Eve, and to both it is in the lover
            that the beloved tastes her own delightfulness. As obedience is the
            stairway of pleasure, so humility is the---" Then Jane is
            interrupted, and we never see the end of the passage.

            Used wrongly, the beauty spell leads to the horror Lewis spoke of in
            his short story "The Shoddy Lands," where nothing is real to this
            Peggy in her world except the things she cares about, and the center
            is a "swollen image of herself, remodelled to be as much as the
            girls in the advertisements as possible." And so, when Lucy attempts
            to do the spell in that way, she sees Aslan growling at her.

            But used rightly, the beauty spell does great good. We see this when
            after Lucy gives the spell to make invisible things visible, she
            turns and sees Aslan, and now the beauty spell works in the right
            way:

            "Then her face lit up, till, for a moment, (but of course she didn't
            know it), she looked almost as beautiful as the other Lucy in the
            picture, and she ran forward with a little cry of delight and with
            her arms stretched out. For what stood in the doorway was Aslan
            himself, the Lion, the highest of all the High Kings. And he was
            solid and real and warm and he let her kiss and bury herself in his
            shining mane. And from the low, earthquake-like sound that came from
            inside him, Lucy even dared to think he was purring."

            Of course, why Aslan allowed her to fall for the lesser temptation
            to magically eavesdrop on her friend, I don't know.

            Under the Mercy,
            Marc Drayer

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...>
            wrote:

            > Janet,
            >
            > Thanks for the great comments! That Tanith Lee story sounds
            wonderful. And I like the idea of the "faerian drama" here, too. So,
            if this is the case, do you think that the outcome Lucy sees -- war,
            jealousy, desolation, etc. -- is unique to her? That is to say,
            others might see different "stories" unfold in the illustrated
            manuscript? I suppose I assumed Lewis was indicating that war and
            desolation were the *inevitable* outcomes for anybody using the
            spell; but alternative readings are certainly possible. Also, we
            don't know whether the spell is permanent. Or whether it
            even "works" at all; perhaps the "spell" is simply the lesson one
            learns in the pictures, and could never actually be effected? I
            hadn't thought of that before ...

            > Interesting conversation! Dawn Treader is probably my favorite of
            the Chronicles. :)

            > Jason

          • Ernest Davis
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 8, 2007
              Diane Joy Baker writes:

              > I suppose good could be accomplished by making a woman the most beautiful
              > woman in the world; just am not sure what would happen afterwards. Lovely
              > women are definitely treated more positively, but unless one is already a
              > confident and wise-souled woman, I would think the result would be a
              > lifetime's worth of major temptations.---and I don't just mean sexual (tho
              > it's also true that beauty intimidates many men. Note, I did not say ALL
              > men.)
              >
              > It would make for an interesting fantasy tale: what would be the
              > out-working of that kind of spell?---djb

              E. Nesbit did this (sort of) in "Five Children and It," chapter 1,
              "Beautiful as the Day". But makeovers, some of them pretty extreme, are
              mundane enough that I don't think you have to resort to fantasy to find
              out how it works out; that's described at length in half the magazines at
              the supermarket counter.

              -- Ernie
            • Lynn Maudlin
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 10, 2007
                CSL wasn't writing allegory but trying to imagine Christ coming to a
                world in which the animals could talk - the king of the beasts being
                the lion, etc. - Lewis was trying to make Aslan as much like Jesus as
                he could imagine, Jesus in the form of a great Lion in a land of
                talking animals. That was a point that escaped me for quite a few
                years; you probably know it but just in case you didn't... {grin}

                -- Lynn --

                > One of the reasons I can read the books as
                > fantasy but not as allegory.
                >
                > --JDR

              • Lynn Maudlin
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 10, 2007
                  De-lurking Marc, I think there are many situations in which *most* of
                  us learn better the hard way. I've often admired those rare humans who
                  can learn from the mistakes of others; for myself, I tend to be the,
                  "what do you mean, 'the stove is hot'? OUCH!!!" type.

                  Allowing her to experience the sadness of indulging in that spell may
                  have been the 'least expensive' way for her to learn a solid lesson.

                  imho, of course, ymmv.

                  -- Lynn --

                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Drayer" <mdrayer2001@...> wrote:

                  > I've been thinking about this, and it prompted me to come out of
                  > lurkdom...
                  >
                  > Of course, why Aslan allowed her to fall for the lesser temptation
                  > to magically eavesdrop on her friend, I don't know.
                  >
                  > Under the Mercy,
                  > Marc Drayer

                • John D Rateliff
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 11, 2007
                    On Dec 10, 2007, at 2:58 PM, Lynn Maudlin wrote:
                    > Lewis was trying to make Aslan as much like Jesus as he could imagine

                    Well, all I can say is that for me he failed utterly. I can only
                    read the books if I 'suspend disbelief' and treat Aslan as a purely
                    fictional character, like Manwe or Mana-Yood-Sushai or Koshchei the
                    Deathless (i.e., as god, not God).
                    I suspect others have the reverse problem with Pullman; they read
                    his fantasy as if he were writing a realistic novel about our world,
                    and react accordingly.
                    --JDR
                  • alexeik@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 13, 2007
                      On Dec 10, 2007, at 2:58 PM, Lynn Maudlin wrote:
                      > Lewis was trying to make Aslan as much like Jesus as he could imagine

                      Well, all I can say is that for me he failed utterly. I can only
                      read the books if I 'suspend disbelief' and treat Aslan as a purely
                      fictional character, like Manwe or Mana-Yood-Sushai or Koshchei the
                      Deathless (i.e., as god, not God).
                      I suspect others have the reverse problem with Pullman; they read
                      his fantasy as if he were writing a realistic novel about our world,
                      and react accordingly.
                      <<

                      Are they entirely unjustified in this, though? Not all of Pullman's story takes place in a fantasy world: parts of it are anchored in the primary world as well (or a world so similar to ours that its precise identity?makes no difference), and in those parts it does try to convince the reader directly about issues in the primary world. My impression has been that the aspect of the story that offends Christian readers most?is not so much the "death of God" theme as the subplot involving Dr. Mary Malone, the ex-nun-turned-scientist who jettisons both her religious vocation and her faith in general as a result of tasting marzipan. If this took place entirely in a fantasy setting, it could be taken as a clever reversal of the "Turkish delight" theme in _LWW_, and appreciated on the same?level, mythopoeically. But Pullman clearly presents it as his own judgment on Christianity in our world -- a judgment he wants his readers to share. In the process he shows himself incapable of imagining what a religious vocation would feel like (a serious lack in an imaginative writer), and also suggests that he has an extraordinarily shallow?understanding of this-worldly Christianity, seeing it as having no spiritual dimension beyond a simple denial of the body and its pleasures. Whether one agrees with him or not, it turns his story into a primary-world polemic rather than a mythopoeic statement. This is what terminally ruined _The Amber Spyglass_ for me, although I really enjoyed?most of the two previous books.
                      Alexei
                      ??

                      RECENT ACTIVITY

                      2

                      New Members

                      Visit Your Group

                      Star Wars on Y!

                      Discover new content

                      Connect with other

                      fans & upload video.

                      Yahoo! News

                      Kevin Sites

                      Get coverage of

                      world crises.

                      Drive Traffic

                      Sponsored Search

                      can help increase

                      your site traffic.

                      .

                    • Lynn Maudlin
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 13, 2007
                        Interesting. I have no problem reading Aslan as CSL's concept of Jesus
                        interacting in a world of talking animals. I don't expect it to be
                        *my* concept of Jesus interacting in a world of talking animals (!!)
                        but it's close enough to be recognizable.

                        I've not read Pullman; I guess anybody who proudly trumpets himself as
                        the anti-CSL is just not very appealing to me. Don't know if I'll see
                        the film or not.

                        -- Lynn --

                        > On Dec 10, 2007, at 2:58 PM, Lynn Maudlin wrote:
                        > > Lewis was trying to make Aslan as much like Jesus as he could imagine
                        >
                        > Well, all I can say is that for me he failed utterly. I can only
                        > read the books if I 'suspend disbelief' and treat Aslan as a purely
                        > fictional character, like Manwe or Mana-Yood-Sushai or Koshchei the
                        > Deathless (i.e., as god, not God).
                        > I suspect others have the reverse problem with Pullman; they read
                        > his fantasy as if he were writing a realistic novel about our world,
                        > and react accordingly.
                        > --JDR

                      • John D Rateliff
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 13, 2007
                          Two interesting pieces of news out of the U.K. today, one happy news,
                          the other sad.

                          First, a J. K. Rowling manuscript just sold at auction for a
                          children's charity. They were hoping it'd go for about fifty thousand
                          pounds; instead it went for two million (over four million dollars).
                          Wow.

                          Second, Terry Pratchett, author of the DIscworld series (among
                          others), has just revealed that he has early onset Alzheimer's. He's
                          planning to keep writing while he can.

                          --JDR
                        • John D Rateliff
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 13, 2007
                            On Dec 13, 2007, at 12:25 PM, alexeik@... wrote:
                            > Are they entirely unjustified in this, though? Not all of Pullman's
                            > story takes place in a fantasy world: parts of it are anchored in
                            > the primary world as well (or a world so similar to ours that its
                            > precise identity makes no difference)

                            It starts out presenting it as if it's the real world, but since
                            fantasy events begin to happen in it it's revealed as just another
                            fantasy world by that very fact. And it's not the portrayal of
                            religious figures in Will's world that upsets the people calling for
                            boycotts of the film or removal of the books from libraries but how
                            they appear in Lyra's world and the fantasy worlds of the third book.

                            > . . . the subplot involving Dr. Mary Malone, the ex-nun-turned-
                            > scientist who jettisons both her religious vocation and her faith
                            > in general as a result of tasting marzipan. If this took place
                            > entirely in a fantasy setting, it could be taken as a clever
                            > reversal of the "Turkish delight" theme in _LWW_, and appreciated
                            > on the same level, mythopoeically.

                            I like the idea of the two scenes being inverse of each other; I'd
                            not thought of that before. It struck me as the most trivial possible
                            reason to lose yr faith; I hope for her sake it was at least good
                            marzipan, just as I've always hoped it was a pretty good apple.

                            > Whether one agrees with him or not, it turns his story into a
                            > primary-world polemic rather than a mythopoeic statement. This is
                            > what terminally ruined _The Amber Spyglass_ for me, although I
                            > really enjoyed most of the two previous books.

                            I thought the first book was brilliant. The second was an interesting
                            attempt to start from a different point and work to the same place;
                            didn't quite come off, but worth reading. The third was a terrible
                            hash, both polemic (which was annoying) and mythopoeic (mainly I
                            think derived from Blake's prophetic books). I've always wondered
                            what the original version of the third book, which he took back from
                            the publisher and extensively rewrote, was like.

                            --JDR
                          • John D Rateliff
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 13, 2007
                              On Dec 13, 2007, at 1:15 PM, Lynn Maudlin wrote:
                              > I've not read Pullman; I guess anybody who proudly trumpets himself
                              > as the anti-CSL is just not very appealing to me. Don't know if
                              > I'll see the film or not.

                              In that case, I wouldn't recommend your reading the books. You might
                              still enjoy the movie, which strips out all the parts of the story I
                              think you'd find objectionable, but it's pretty lightweight as a
                              result and shd be enjoyed (or not) pretty much just as entertainment.

                              --JDR