Re: [mythsoc] Re: Jackson Films

  • aveeris523@aol.com
    Message 1 of 108 , Dec 6, 2007
      Ian Holm did an excellent job early in Fellowship of the Ring when he
      was arguing with Gandalf-his face turned more and more deranged, his eyes wild;
      he didn't need any special effects for that, just his great skills as an
      actor! Has he ever put in a bad performance?
      Personally I liked the part where Galadriel turned into a demonic
      version of herself; I just wish they had taken the dialogue directly from Tolkien
      (but gee, Phillipa Boyens fixed that!).

      Steve Gaddis

      Message 108 of 108 , Dec 7, 2007
        In a message dated 12/7/07 9:41:39 AM, dbratman@... writes:

        > Very much the opposite opinion here. I don't recall anything harmful being
        > done to the text, but the image was definitely a problem. Tolkien says she was
        > "beautiful beyond enduring, terrible and worshipful." The only word in this
        > that Jackson seems to have followed was "terrible" - and he seems to be using
        > it in the sense of "scary and terrifying," rather than "eliciting awe" which
        > is what Tolkien presumably meant.
        >
        > Good point David! Beautiful and Terrible like an angel would have been more
        appropriate.