movie alert

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2007
      "The Golden Compass" film is to be released tomorrow. I may go see it. After years of having abandoned the book at the end of part one, I finally read the entire volume (but not the sequels) last week. I think I've figured out why it doesn't really work, but I'll save that for later. But it has its effective resonances as well; curiously, the fantasy novel I was most often reminded of by it was "Dracula."

      Saw an ad for the film on tv this evening. The following words, or something near enough to them, appeared on the screen:

      "Takes it's place among the great fantasy movies of all time!"

      Yes, that's right; they misspelled "its."
    • Diane Joy Baker
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 7, 2007
        Most people don't know the difference between its and it's these days, it seems, and even my computer spell-checker sometimes pings on it. When I change it (wrong or right), it pings on the other one. Go figure.