Re: [mythsoc] Re: Article that mentions Tolkien

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 5, 2007
      I very much doubt that Tolkien would vote for the Green Party, but he was very far from being a stereotypical Tory. That his ecological views were, through a Christian viewpoint, very green with a small "g" is, I think, adequately proven by Dickerson and Evans's "Ents, Elves, and Eriador," and also supported by Curry's "Defending Middle-earth." Using "seeing Tolkien as 'green'" as any kind of measure of "offness" in Tolkien studies is, I think, unfair and mistaken. Tolkien was entirely comparatible with being "green", as long as you do not confuse that with either of 1) voting for the Green Party; 2) adopting the lifestyle of stereotypically "green" people.

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 10, 2007
        Thank you for stating it so much better than I, David. I am also a
        "little g green" so I knew what I meant, however I mangled the sense!
        (currently throttling words).

        -- Lynn --