Re: Article that mentions Tolkien

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 5, 2007
      Assuredly JRRT was ecologically minded but I don't know that that
      equals "Green Party voter" (which, my impression from *this* side of
      the pond, is fairly left-leaning in nearly all regards, yes?). But I
      could have used the example of the folks who thought that pipeweed was
      marijuana... (like Peter Jackson, perhaps?!!).

      All due respect to Tom Shippey, but I suspect Priscilla Tolkien and
      Christopher Tolkien would be better at surmising how JRRT would vote
      in today's elections.

      -- Lynn --

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 5, 2007
        I very much doubt that Tolkien would vote for the Green Party, but he was very far from being a stereotypical Tory. That his ecological views were, through a Christian viewpoint, very green with a small "g" is, I think, adequately proven by Dickerson and Evans's "Ents, Elves, and Eriador," and also supported by Curry's "Defending Middle-earth." Using "seeing Tolkien as 'green'" as any kind of measure of "offness" in Tolkien studies is, I think, unfair and mistaken. Tolkien was entirely comparatible with being "green", as long as you do not confuse that with either of 1) voting for the Green Party; 2) adopting the lifestyle of stereotypically "green" people.

        >Assuredly JRRT was ecologically minded but I don't know that that
        >equals "Green Party voter" (which, my impression from *this* side of
        >the pond, is fairly left-leaning in nearly all regards, yes?). But I
        >could have used the example of the folks who thought that pipeweed was
        >marijuana... (like Peter Jackson, perhaps?!!).
        >
        >All due respect to Tom Shippey, but I suspect Priscilla Tolkien and
        >Christopher Tolkien would be better at surmising how JRRT would vote
        >in today's elections.
        >
        > -- Lynn --
        >

        >--- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Merlin DeTardo" <emptyD@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> >--- "Lynn Maudlin" <lynnmaudlin@> wrote:
        >>
        >> << One might read Pinkerton's article and feel he misuses JRRT but I
        >> don't think he's any further off than the folks who saw Tolkien
        >> as "green"... >>
        >>

        >> Here's one such: Tom Shippey, in his article, "Literature, Twentieth
        >> Century, Influence of Tolkien", in _J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia_ (2006):
        >>
        >> "If he were voting today, Tolkien would certainly vote for the Green
        >> Party..."
        >>
        >> -Merlin DeTardo

      • Lynn Maudlin
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 10, 2007
          Thank you for stating it so much better than I, David. I am also a
          "little g green" so I knew what I meant, however I mangled the sense!
          (currently throttling words).

          -- Lynn --