Re: Article that mentions Tolkien

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 4, 2007
      >--- "Lynn Maudlin" <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:

      << One might read Pinkerton's article and feel he misuses JRRT but I
      don't think he's any further off than the folks who saw Tolkien
      as "green"... >>

      Here's one such: Tom Shippey, in his article, "Literature, Twentieth
      Century, Influence of Tolkien", in _J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia_ (2006):

      "If he were voting today, Tolkien would certainly vote for the Green
      Party..."

      -Merlin DeTardo
    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 5, 2007
        Thanks for the link, Wendell. I found the article itself appalling,
        but fascinating as an exercise in 'applicability'. And I would have
        missed it altogether if not for your posting.
        --JDR

        On Dec 4, 2007, at 11:31 AM, WendellWag@... wrote:

        > There's an article in the Readings section of _Harper's_ this month
        > that
        > mentions Tolkien in an interesting way. The Readings section
        > reprints writings
        > (or selections from writings) that the editors find important in
        > some way,
        > sometimes because they think it expresses a good idea, sometimes
        > because they
        > find the viewpoint horrifying. They make no comment themselves on
        > what they
        > think of it. Neither will I. It's "The Once & Future
        > Christendom" by James
        > P. Pinkerton from the September 10th issue of _The American
        > Conservative_. My
        > apologies if someone has already given a link to this.
        >
        > _http://www.amconmag.com/2007/2007_09_10/cover.html_
        > (http://www.amconmag.com/2007/2007_09_10/cover.html)
        >
        > Wendell Wagner
      • Lynn Maudlin
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 5, 2007
          Assuredly JRRT was ecologically minded but I don't know that that
          equals "Green Party voter" (which, my impression from *this* side of
          the pond, is fairly left-leaning in nearly all regards, yes?). But I
          could have used the example of the folks who thought that pipeweed was
          marijuana... (like Peter Jackson, perhaps?!!).

          All due respect to Tom Shippey, but I suspect Priscilla Tolkien and
          Christopher Tolkien would be better at surmising how JRRT would vote
          in today's elections.

          -- Lynn --

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 5, 2007
            I very much doubt that Tolkien would vote for the Green Party, but he was very far from being a stereotypical Tory. That his ecological views were, through a Christian viewpoint, very green with a small "g" is, I think, adequately proven by Dickerson and Evans's "Ents, Elves, and Eriador," and also supported by Curry's "Defending Middle-earth." Using "seeing Tolkien as 'green'" as any kind of measure of "offness" in Tolkien studies is, I think, unfair and mistaken. Tolkien was entirely comparatible with being "green", as long as you do not confuse that with either of 1) voting for the Green Party; 2) adopting the lifestyle of stereotypically "green" people.

            >Assuredly JRRT was ecologically minded but I don't know that that
            >equals "Green Party voter" (which, my impression from *this* side of
            >the pond, is fairly left-leaning in nearly all regards, yes?). But I
            >could have used the example of the folks who thought that pipeweed was
            >marijuana... (like Peter Jackson, perhaps?!!).
            >
            >All due respect to Tom Shippey, but I suspect Priscilla Tolkien and
            >Christopher Tolkien would be better at surmising how JRRT would vote
            >in today's elections.
            >
            > -- Lynn --
            >

            >--- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Merlin DeTardo" <emptyD@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> >--- "Lynn Maudlin" <lynnmaudlin@> wrote:
            >>
            >> << One might read Pinkerton's article and feel he misuses JRRT but I
            >> don't think he's any further off than the folks who saw Tolkien
            >> as "green"... >>
            >>

            >> Here's one such: Tom Shippey, in his article, "Literature, Twentieth
            >> Century, Influence of Tolkien", in _J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia_ (2006):
            >>
            >> "If he were voting today, Tolkien would certainly vote for the Green
            >> Party..."
            >>
            >> -Merlin DeTardo

          • Lynn Maudlin
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 10, 2007
              Thank you for stating it so much better than I, David. I am also a
              "little g green" so I knew what I meant, however I mangled the sense!
              (currently throttling words).

              -- Lynn --