C.S. Lewis Foundation summer programs

  • Cole Matson
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 27, 2007
      Has anyone on the list attended the C.S. Lewis Foundation's summer
      seminars-in-residence at the Kilns or its Oxbridge Summer Institute at
      Oxford and Cambridge? I'm planning a trip to Britain next summer or fall,
      and am trying to decide whether to register for one or the other. The Kilns
      seminar sounds ideal, but is a little out of my current price range, whereas
      I think I can afford one week of the Summer Institute if I find cheaper
      accommodations outside of college. I would like to find out if the programs
      are as good as they sound.

      Also, does anyone have any suggestions for quality Lewis- (or
      Tolkien-)related activities? I'm planning on visiting the Kilns, the church
      at Headington Quarry, the Bird and Baby, and Magdalen College at Oxford, and
      perhaps attending a meeting of the Oxford C.S. Lewis Society. I also would
      like to visit Cambridge. I'm trying to pack as much as I can into up to
      three weeks, while also not burning myself out, which also includes visits
      to Scotland to see friends, at least a day in London, and possible visits to
      other locations I've always wanted to see (such as Arthur's Seat in Wales,
      Glastonbury, and the Isle of Man).

      Finally, I would love to meet any Mythsoc members either residing in or
      visiting Britain at that time. (My trip will almost certainly be sometime
      from July to October, probably in July and/or August. Peak traveling time, I
      know, but I have a work contract through the end of June and would like to
      visit before it gets too cold.) Consider yourself invited to a hot meal and
      friendly conversation on me.

      Cole Matson

    • Lynn Maudlin
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 29, 2007
        I know that Diana Glyer is one of the plenary speakers next summer;
        she did a workshop for them in San Diego this past summer and was very
        impressed with the quality of the operation. I am *hoping* to go (that
        may read better as "fantasizing about going") next year; will keep an
        eye out for how things develop.

        -- Lynn --