Re: "Words That Sound Like Castles"

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 22, 2007
      Hassles, tassels, vassals...

      >>--- "mwilt" <mary.wilt@...> wrote:

      << Far be it from me to participate in "holiday exercises" >>

      A friend of mine organizes a wallyball outing annually on the day
      after Thanksgiving; I guess I'm in the holiday exercise habit. Not
      that it shows. (Or rather, I have the appearance of someone who only
      exercises on the holidays.)

      << "Lobdell wrote a different article titled 'Words That Sound Like
      Castles' for _National Review_ in 1967."
      It might be the same article? The magazine "Rally" is described as
      a "Triple A Farm Team for the National Review" ... might be the
      article was published in Rally in 1966 and picked up by NR in 1967? >>

      Johnson describes the 1966 article this way:
      "Praises Tolkien's creation of languages and histories for his
      characters" (_J.R.R. Tolkien: Six Decades of Criticism_, 66).

      Her description of the 1968 article is:
      "Attacks Hodgart's criticism ... finds C.S. Lewis is the best Tolkien
      critic, and suggests Tolkien's appeal is to readers who identify with
      Tolkien's imaginative life, find echoes of their imaginations in
      their work" (77).

      Richard West's J.R.R. Tolkien: An Annotated Checklist_, Revised
      Edition, explicitly says the two are "not the same" (82).

      -Merlin DeTardo
    • mwilt
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 22, 2007
        You're right, of course (and you have access to better reference books,
        too!!) they are different. I found the National Review article, if you'd
        care to see it. I don't know the rules for sending an entire article to the
        list and can't link to it.

        mary

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 7, 2008

          Hello all.  I am currently on holiday in Portugal and I happened to come

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 7, 2008
            It's completely unauthorized and certain to never be translated and
            published in English. The only surprising thing is that it was translated and
            published in Portuguese. Copyright laws are rather loosely enforced in Russia.
            There have been many unauthorized sequels and such to Tolkien published there.
            (Tolkien has been quite popular in Russia since at least the early 1990's.
            Much authorized and unauthorized Tolkien material has appeared since then.)
            There are also sequels to other popular authors. The Tolkien estate can
            prevent violation of copyright laws in much of the world, but it's harder work in
            certain places like Russia. Someone here might want to notify the Tolkien
            estate about the Portuguese edition.

            Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 7, 2008
              The author's name is more commonly transliterated as Kirill Eskov and the
              book's title is commonly given in English as The Last Ringbearer. There's a
              Wikipedia entry for the author. Here's an article in English about this book
              and other Russian reactions to Tolkien:

              _http://media.www.thespartandaily.com/media/storage/paper852/news/2004/11/10/O
              pinioncolumnists/lord-Of.The.Rings.Spoofs.Find.A.Russian.Following-1499947.sht
              ml_

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 7, 2008
                That URL I mentioned in the last post might not come across for many of you.
                Try Googling for "Kirill Eskov". The webpage that I'm referring to is at
                the bottom of the first page for that Google search.

                Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

              • Grace Donaldson
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 11, 2008

                  > The author's name is more commonly transliterated as Kirill Eskov
                  and the
                  > book's title is commonly given in English as The Last
                  Ringbearer. There's a
                  > Wikipedia entry for the author. Here's an article in English
                  about this book
                  > and other Russian reactions to Tolkien:

                  _http://media.www.thespartandaily.com/media/storage/paper852/news/200
                  4/11/10/O
                  > pinioncolumnists/lord-Of.The.Rings.Spoofs.Find.A.Russian.Following-
                  1499947.sht
                  > ml_

                  (http://media.www.thespartandaily.com/media/storage/paper852/news/200
                  4/11/10/Opinioncolumnists/lord-
                  Of.The.Rings.Spoofs.Find.A.Russian.Following-1499947
                  > .shtml)

                  Ah, yes, the Goblin translations (mrntioned in one of the
                  articles)...there's something about a pickle that became a running
                  joke in my class when I was teaching LOTR in Kyrgyzstan. I tried
                  watching part of one of them, but have to confess my Russian wasn't
                  up to it; I missed most of the jokes. But my understanding was that
                  they were a kind of Russian "Weird Al" of films.

                  I have an authorized Russian translation of LOTR, but was appalled
                  to discover that a common (unauthorized) cheap paperback translation
                  chopped off the chapters in which Frodo and Sam encounter Boromir --
                  so my students who read that version weren't the least appalled by
                  the slaughtering of Boromir's character that Jackson did in the film.

                  I wasn't aware of Eskov's work; I'd be interested in struggling
                  through it in the original; maybe if I get a copy and can make it to
                  another Mythcon, I can provide unauthorized (and no doubt very poor)
                  translations of it to any who want to hear.

                  Grace