Re: Fw: JRR Tolkien letters for sale

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 21, 2007
      >>---"Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:
      << What you and I may find mundane and uninteresting... >>

      And thus Vincent's question, I guess, and when I first saw his post,
      I was glad he'd asked what I'd initially thought: certainly the
      letters don't look like much, to my uneducated glance. But setting
      aside the letters' value as collectibles, what use might they have
      for researchers? It might be interesting to list the possibilities --
      a holiday exercise here in the U.S. There are several subscribers
      to this list who have worked with Tolkien's manuscripts: what do they
      see in these documents? I have no such expertise myself, but will
      toss out a few notes and questions.

      The first thought that occurs to me is that Scull and Hammond's
      _Chronology_ makes it possible to slot these letters more precisely
      into other events in Tolkien's life than used to be possible. The 20
      Oct. 1965 letter to Wheeler is one of at least two that Tolkien wrote
      that day; the other was to Clyde Klby. Tolkien apparently dealt with
      a glut of correspondence at that time: he was away from approximately
      5 Oct. to 15 Oct., and also suffering an infection in his arm; he
      arrived "home to find a heap of letters awaiting him", and five days
      later, Rayner Unwin wrote him that Allen & Unwin had been
      forwarding "a constant stream of fan mail" (_Chronology_, 645).

      For the date of the second letter, 10 Jan. 1966, the _Chronology_
      (652) says only that in that week, Tolkien heard from Joy Hill that
      an agreement had been reached with Donald Swann for _The Road Goes
      Ever On_.

      On 1 Aug. 1966, the date of the third letter to Wheeler, from
      Tolkien's assistant "P.M.J." (that's Phyllis M. Jenkinson --
      _Chronology_, 648), Tolkien was again writing to Kilby (671).

      Did P.M.J. type the first two letters? S&H have her as Toklien's
      secretary by 6 Dec. 1965, postdating the first letter by two months
      (648). Is "Ballantyne" in the first letter her mistake, and is that
      Tolkien's handwritten correction of "i" for "y"?

      What prompted Tolkien's postscript there, about Ace's apparent legal
      right to sell the pirated copy of _LotR_?

      What did Wheeler want Tolkien to write? What's up with Tolkien's
      comment about his "special good wishes" being of little use to
      Wheeler?

      In Wheeler's 1987 letter to Christopher Tolkien, he says he'd sent
      JRRT two essay by Jared Lobdell, from the Aug. 1966 and July-Aug.
      1967 issues of _Rally_. The items at the Wheeler web site include
      the former article, "Words That Sound Like Castles". (I was glad of
      the opportunity to read it.) The latter article is called "From
      Middle-earth to the Silent Planet", according to Judith Johnson's
      bibiography, which also reveals that Lobdell wrote a different
      article titled "Words That Sound Like Castles" for _National Review_
      in 1967.

      But among the correspondence is a carbon copy of the letter from
      Wheeler to JRRT of 22 Aug. 1966 with which he sent the Aug. 1966
      _Rally_. There is no copy of the letter he sent with the July-Aug.
      1967 issue. However, there is a response from Tolkien's secretary of
      1 Aug. 1966 thanking Wheeler for a copy of _Rally_. Either the date
      of that letter is wrong, or Wheeler sent yet another, earlier issue
      of _Rally_ to Tolkien. Does anyone know if that's correct, and if
      so, what that issue included?

      -Merlin DeTardo
    • Vincent Ferré
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 22, 2007
        that's a very clever comment, merlin :-)

        but there are still so many things to say about the published letters (the selection by carpenter & ch. tolkien) and about the most important ones among the letters that Wayne & Christina have traced, that I am still in doubt !

        very best wishes to all,
        vincent

      • mwilt
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 22, 2007
          But setting
          aside the letters' value as collectibles, what use might they have
          for researchers? It might be interesting to list the possibilities --
          a holiday exercise here in the U.S.
          ***

          Far be it from me to participate in "holiday exercises" except the raising of turkey leg to mouth. :-) However:

          ***
          The latter article is called "From
          Middle-earth to the Silent Planet", according to Judith Johnson's
          bibiography, which also reveals that Lobdell wrote a different
          article titled "Words That Sound Like Castles" for _National Review_
          in 1967.
          ***

          It might be the same article? The magazine "Rally" is described as a "Triple A Farm Team for the National Review" in the obituary for Mr. Wheeler published in the National Review (see the Wheeler personal web site for the obituary here http://www.pbase.com/csw62/image/85861087). It might be the article was published in Rally in 1966 and picked up by NR in 1967?

          mary

        • Merlin DeTardo
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 22, 2007
            Hassles, tassels, vassals...

            >>--- "mwilt" <mary.wilt@...> wrote:

            << Far be it from me to participate in "holiday exercises" >>

            A friend of mine organizes a wallyball outing annually on the day
            after Thanksgiving; I guess I'm in the holiday exercise habit. Not
            that it shows. (Or rather, I have the appearance of someone who only
            exercises on the holidays.)

            << "Lobdell wrote a different article titled 'Words That Sound Like
            Castles' for _National Review_ in 1967."
            It might be the same article? The magazine "Rally" is described as
            a "Triple A Farm Team for the National Review" ... might be the
            article was published in Rally in 1966 and picked up by NR in 1967? >>

            Johnson describes the 1966 article this way:
            "Praises Tolkien's creation of languages and histories for his
            characters" (_J.R.R. Tolkien: Six Decades of Criticism_, 66).

            Her description of the 1968 article is:
            "Attacks Hodgart's criticism ... finds C.S. Lewis is the best Tolkien
            critic, and suggests Tolkien's appeal is to readers who identify with
            Tolkien's imaginative life, find echoes of their imaginations in
            their work" (77).

            Richard West's J.R.R. Tolkien: An Annotated Checklist_, Revised
            Edition, explicitly says the two are "not the same" (82).

            -Merlin DeTardo
          • mwilt
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 22, 2007
              You're right, of course (and you have access to better reference books,
              too!!) they are different. I found the National Review article, if you'd
              care to see it. I don't know the rules for sending an entire article to the
              list and can't link to it.

              mary

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 7, 2008

                Hello all.  I am currently on holiday in Portugal and I happened to come

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 7, 2008
                  It's completely unauthorized and certain to never be translated and
                  published in English. The only surprising thing is that it was translated and
                  published in Portuguese. Copyright laws are rather loosely enforced in Russia.
                  There have been many unauthorized sequels and such to Tolkien published there.
                  (Tolkien has been quite popular in Russia since at least the early 1990's.
                  Much authorized and unauthorized Tolkien material has appeared since then.)
                  There are also sequels to other popular authors. The Tolkien estate can
                  prevent violation of copyright laws in much of the world, but it's harder work in
                  certain places like Russia. Someone here might want to notify the Tolkien
                  estate about the Portuguese edition.

                  Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 7, 2008
                    The author's name is more commonly transliterated as Kirill Eskov and the
                    book's title is commonly given in English as The Last Ringbearer. There's a
                    Wikipedia entry for the author. Here's an article in English about this book
                    and other Russian reactions to Tolkien:

                    _http://media.www.thespartandaily.com/media/storage/paper852/news/2004/11/10/O
                    pinioncolumnists/lord-Of.The.Rings.Spoofs.Find.A.Russian.Following-1499947.sht
                    ml_

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 7, 2008
                      That URL I mentioned in the last post might not come across for many of you.
                      Try Googling for "Kirill Eskov". The webpage that I'm referring to is at
                      the bottom of the first page for that Google search.

                      Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

                    • Grace Donaldson
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 11, 2008

                        > The author's name is more commonly transliterated as Kirill Eskov
                        and the
                        > book's title is commonly given in English as The Last
                        Ringbearer. There's a
                        > Wikipedia entry for the author. Here's an article in English
                        about this book
                        > and other Russian reactions to Tolkien:

                        _http://media.www.thespartandaily.com/media/storage/paper852/news/200
                        4/11/10/O
                        > pinioncolumnists/lord-Of.The.Rings.Spoofs.Find.A.Russian.Following-
                        1499947.sht
                        > ml_

                        (http://media.www.thespartandaily.com/media/storage/paper852/news/200
                        4/11/10/Opinioncolumnists/lord-
                        Of.The.Rings.Spoofs.Find.A.Russian.Following-1499947
                        > .shtml)

                        Ah, yes, the Goblin translations (mrntioned in one of the
                        articles)...there's something about a pickle that became a running
                        joke in my class when I was teaching LOTR in Kyrgyzstan. I tried
                        watching part of one of them, but have to confess my Russian wasn't
                        up to it; I missed most of the jokes. But my understanding was that
                        they were a kind of Russian "Weird Al" of films.

                        I have an authorized Russian translation of LOTR, but was appalled
                        to discover that a common (unauthorized) cheap paperback translation
                        chopped off the chapters in which Frodo and Sam encounter Boromir --
                        so my students who read that version weren't the least appalled by
                        the slaughtering of Boromir's character that Jackson did in the film.

                        I wasn't aware of Eskov's work; I'd be interested in struggling
                        through it in the original; maybe if I get a copy and can make it to
                        another Mythcon, I can provide unauthorized (and no doubt very poor)
                        translations of it to any who want to hear.

                        Grace