Re: What should be on my Christmas list?

  • Adam Smith
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
      Wow. Thanks to all for the excellent suggestions.

      A few of those I've already been through - the "old standbys" like
      Carpenter's 'The Letters of JRR Tolkien' and 'The Inklings' (I was
      very happy to find an affordable old hardcover edition of the latter
      recently on Barnes & Noble.com).

      This really helps to narrow down the field a bit, at least
      concerning where I should investigate next. Makes for a bit of a
      long Christmas list, like Mike suggested, but after all,
      I'm "always" a good boy. ;)

      ---------
      Adam S.

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Smith" <amsmith0903@...> wrote:

      > I've really only been diving back into Tolkien scholarship for the
      > past year or so. There's been such an explosion of Tolkien-
      related
      > studies in the past few years that I'll never be able to keep up
      > with everything (or even most) of what is written.
      >
      > I'm curious what books others have really enjoyed? Suggestions?
      >
      > From a personal perspective, I can happily recommend some of the
      > books I've recently read:
      >
      > 'The History of the Hobbit' by John Rateliff
      > 'JRR Tolkien: Author of the Century' by Tom Shippey
      > 'The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary' by
      > Peter Gilliver
      > 'Interrupted Music' by Verlyn Fleiger
      >
      > I've already seen some glowing reviews for 'The Company They Keep'
      > and 'Tolkien & The Great War'. Are there others I shouldn't miss?

    • bernip
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
        From: "Jason Fisher" <visualweasel@...>

        >> The Scull & Hammond duo is one I keep nearby as reference
        >> no matter what I'm reading because it adds depth to other books.
        >
        > Me too. Kipling, Dickens, Kafka, doesn't matter. Like a good barbecue
        > sauce*, the Scull & Hammond set makes anything better! ;-)
        >

        > * Yes, I am from Texas, so BBQ is never far from my mind.

        Okay, that made me laugh. "Scull & Hammond" even sounds like a condiment!
        (Waves hi to Wayne and Christina)

        Berni
      • Larry Swain
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
          > Okay, that made me laugh. "Scull & Hammond" even sounds like a condiment!
          > (Waves hi to Wayne and Christina)

          Or a dish of British food: "I'll have the Bubble and Squeak with Hammond and Scull on the side"

          Larry Swain

          Powered by Outblaze
        • Kim Jaudon
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 21, 2007
            Oh man - I needed a good laugh today!!

            Does anyone have an opinion on The Keys of Middle Earth, by Stuart Lee and Elizabeth Solopova? I just received it as a gift, and am wondering where to file it in the "books to be read" on my bedstand.