RE: [mythsoc] What should be on my Christmas list?

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
      Adam,
      In addition to the many excellent scholarly works noted previously here,
      seek out -The Lord of the Rings: 1954-2004- edited by Wayne Hammond and
      Christina Scull and published by Marquette University Press. Based on
      presentations made at the conference so titled at Marquette three years
      ago, it includes chapters by many of those named hitherto, including
      Rateliff, Anderson, Shippey, Garth, Burns, Flieger, Chance, Scull,
      Hammond-20 selections in all, most unavailable elsewhere.

      -The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien-, edited by Humphrey Carpenter, is also a
      worthy addition to your bookshelf.

      Your Christmas list is getting quite long. I hope you've been a very
      good boy.

      Mike Foster

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
        Wow. Thanks to all for the excellent suggestions.

        A few of those I've already been through - the "old standbys" like
        Carpenter's 'The Letters of JRR Tolkien' and 'The Inklings' (I was
        very happy to find an affordable old hardcover edition of the latter
        recently on Barnes & Noble.com).

        This really helps to narrow down the field a bit, at least
        concerning where I should investigate next. Makes for a bit of a
        long Christmas list, like Mike suggested, but after all,
        I'm "always" a good boy. ;)

        ---------
        Adam S.

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Smith" <amsmith0903@...> wrote:

        > I've really only been diving back into Tolkien scholarship for the
        > past year or so. There's been such an explosion of Tolkien-
        related
        > studies in the past few years that I'll never be able to keep up
        > with everything (or even most) of what is written.
        >
        > I'm curious what books others have really enjoyed? Suggestions?
        >
        > From a personal perspective, I can happily recommend some of the
        > books I've recently read:
        >
        > 'The History of the Hobbit' by John Rateliff
        > 'JRR Tolkien: Author of the Century' by Tom Shippey
        > 'The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary' by
        > Peter Gilliver
        > 'Interrupted Music' by Verlyn Fleiger
        >
        > I've already seen some glowing reviews for 'The Company They Keep'
        > and 'Tolkien & The Great War'. Are there others I shouldn't miss?

      • bernip
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
          From: "Jason Fisher" <visualweasel@...>

          >> The Scull & Hammond duo is one I keep nearby as reference
          >> no matter what I'm reading because it adds depth to other books.
          >
          > Me too. Kipling, Dickens, Kafka, doesn't matter. Like a good barbecue
          > sauce*, the Scull & Hammond set makes anything better! ;-)
          >

          > * Yes, I am from Texas, so BBQ is never far from my mind.

          Okay, that made me laugh. "Scull & Hammond" even sounds like a condiment!
          (Waves hi to Wayne and Christina)

          Berni
        • Larry Swain
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
            > Okay, that made me laugh. "Scull & Hammond" even sounds like a condiment!
            > (Waves hi to Wayne and Christina)

            Or a dish of British food: "I'll have the Bubble and Squeak with Hammond and Scull on the side"

            Larry Swain

            Powered by Outblaze
          • Kim Jaudon
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 21, 2007
              Oh man - I needed a good laugh today!!

              Does anyone have an opinion on The Keys of Middle Earth, by Stuart Lee and Elizabeth Solopova? I just received it as a gift, and am wondering where to file it in the "books to be read" on my bedstand.