Re: [mythsoc] What should be on my Christmas list?

  • Sara Ciborski
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
      What I remember about Dickerson's book that I thought was particularly
      important, is that he refutes the perception that Tolkien's work
      glorifies war and violence -- especially timely in the aftermath of the
      films. He does it pretty convincingly with text and thematic analysis.
      And yes, it would not be considered "scholarly." But it would be a shame
      to limit one's reading to that category.
      Sara Ciborski

      David Emerson wrote:
      >> From: Sara Ciborski <saraciborski@...>
      >>
      >> I recommend Matthew Dickerson's Following Gandalf (superb)...
      >>

      > Funny, I didn't think much of Dickerson. It's an extended essay on the implications of LOTR, so I guess one's opinion of its value depends a lot on whether one agrees with the author's philosophy.
      >
      > But I don't remember there being all that much actual scholarship in it, so it would not be on my list of recommended scholarly books about Tolkien.
      >
      > emerdavid

    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
        > The Scull & Hammond duo is one I keep nearby as reference
        > no matter what I'm reading because it adds depth to other books.

        Me too. Kipling, Dickens, Kafka, doesn't matter. Like a good barbecue sauce*, the Scull & Hammond set makes anything better! ;-)

        Jase

        * Yes, I am from Texas, so BBQ is never far from my mind.
      • David Emerson
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
          >Like a good barbecue sauce, the Scull & Hammond set makes anything better!

          A blurb you will probably not see on the paperback edition.

          emerdavid

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com
        • Mike Foster
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
            Adam,
            In addition to the many excellent scholarly works noted previously here,
            seek out -The Lord of the Rings: 1954-2004- edited by Wayne Hammond and
            Christina Scull and published by Marquette University Press. Based on
            presentations made at the conference so titled at Marquette three years
            ago, it includes chapters by many of those named hitherto, including
            Rateliff, Anderson, Shippey, Garth, Burns, Flieger, Chance, Scull,
            Hammond-20 selections in all, most unavailable elsewhere.

            -The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien-, edited by Humphrey Carpenter, is also a
            worthy addition to your bookshelf.

            Your Christmas list is getting quite long. I hope you've been a very
            good boy.

            Mike Foster

            David Emerson wrote:
            >> From: Sara Ciborski <saraciborski@ <mailto:saraciborski%40tds.net>
            tds.net>

            >> I recommend Matthew Dickerson's Following Gandalf (superb)...
            >>

            > Funny, I didn't think much of Dickerson. It's an extended essay on the
            implications of LOTR, so I guess one's opinion of its value depends a
            lot on whether one agrees with the author's philosophy.

            > But I don't remember there being all that much actual scholarship in
            it, so it would not be on my list of recommended scholarly books about
            Tolkien.

            > emerdavid

          • Adam Smith
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
              Wow. Thanks to all for the excellent suggestions.

              A few of those I've already been through - the "old standbys" like
              Carpenter's 'The Letters of JRR Tolkien' and 'The Inklings' (I was
              very happy to find an affordable old hardcover edition of the latter
              recently on Barnes & Noble.com).

              This really helps to narrow down the field a bit, at least
              concerning where I should investigate next. Makes for a bit of a
              long Christmas list, like Mike suggested, but after all,
              I'm "always" a good boy. ;)

              ---------
              Adam S.

              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Smith" <amsmith0903@...> wrote:

              > I've really only been diving back into Tolkien scholarship for the
              > past year or so. There's been such an explosion of Tolkien-
              related
              > studies in the past few years that I'll never be able to keep up
              > with everything (or even most) of what is written.
              >
              > I'm curious what books others have really enjoyed? Suggestions?
              >
              > From a personal perspective, I can happily recommend some of the
              > books I've recently read:
              >
              > 'The History of the Hobbit' by John Rateliff
              > 'JRR Tolkien: Author of the Century' by Tom Shippey
              > 'The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary' by
              > Peter Gilliver
              > 'Interrupted Music' by Verlyn Fleiger
              >
              > I've already seen some glowing reviews for 'The Company They Keep'
              > and 'Tolkien & The Great War'. Are there others I shouldn't miss?

            • bernip
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
                From: "Jason Fisher" <visualweasel@...>

                >> The Scull & Hammond duo is one I keep nearby as reference
                >> no matter what I'm reading because it adds depth to other books.
                >
                > Me too. Kipling, Dickens, Kafka, doesn't matter. Like a good barbecue
                > sauce*, the Scull & Hammond set makes anything better! ;-)
                >

                > * Yes, I am from Texas, so BBQ is never far from my mind.

                Okay, that made me laugh. "Scull & Hammond" even sounds like a condiment!
                (Waves hi to Wayne and Christina)

                Berni
              • Larry Swain
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
                  > Okay, that made me laugh. "Scull & Hammond" even sounds like a condiment!
                  > (Waves hi to Wayne and Christina)

                  Or a dish of British food: "I'll have the Bubble and Squeak with Hammond and Scull on the side"

                  Larry Swain

                  Powered by Outblaze
                • Kim Jaudon
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 21, 2007
                    Oh man - I needed a good laugh today!!

                    Does anyone have an opinion on The Keys of Middle Earth, by Stuart Lee and Elizabeth Solopova? I just received it as a gift, and am wondering where to file it in the "books to be read" on my bedstand.