Re: [mythsoc] What should be on my Christmas list?

  • Kim Jaudon
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
      These are all great recommendations. The Scull & Hammond duo is one I keep nearby as reference no matter what I'm reading because it adds depth to other books. It's a set you'll use as much as simply read. I also recommend that old chestnut, The Inklings, by Carpener.

      Sara Ciborski wrote:

      I recommend Matthew Dickerson's Following Gandalf (superb), John Garth's
      Tolkien and the Great War (excellent), and the Scull and Hammond
      Companion and Guide (endlessly fascinating) .
      Sara Ciborski

      Adam Smith wrote:
      > I've really only been diving back into Tolkien scholarship for the
      > past year or so. There's been such an explosion of Tolkien-related
      > studies in the past few years that I'll never be able to keep up
      > with everything (or even most) of what is written.
      >
      > I'm curious what books others have really enjoyed? Suggestions?
      >
      > >From a personal perspective, I can happily recommend some of the
      > books I've recently read:
      >
      > 'The History of the Hobbit' by John Rateliff
      > 'JRR Tolkien: Author of the Century' by Tom Shippey
      > 'The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary' by
      > Peter Gilliver
      > 'Interrupted Music' by Verlyn Fleiger
      >
      > I've already seen some glowing reviews for 'The Company They Keep'
      > and 'Tolkien & The Great War'. Are there others I shouldn't miss?
      >

      > The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc org
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Sara Ciborski
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
        What I remember about Dickerson's book that I thought was particularly
        important, is that he refutes the perception that Tolkien's work
        glorifies war and violence -- especially timely in the aftermath of the
        films. He does it pretty convincingly with text and thematic analysis.
        And yes, it would not be considered "scholarly." But it would be a shame
        to limit one's reading to that category.
        Sara Ciborski

        David Emerson wrote:
        >> From: Sara Ciborski <saraciborski@...>
        >>
        >> I recommend Matthew Dickerson's Following Gandalf (superb)...
        >>

        > Funny, I didn't think much of Dickerson. It's an extended essay on the implications of LOTR, so I guess one's opinion of its value depends a lot on whether one agrees with the author's philosophy.
        >
        > But I don't remember there being all that much actual scholarship in it, so it would not be on my list of recommended scholarly books about Tolkien.
        >
        > emerdavid

      • Jason Fisher
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
          > The Scull & Hammond duo is one I keep nearby as reference
          > no matter what I'm reading because it adds depth to other books.

          Me too. Kipling, Dickens, Kafka, doesn't matter. Like a good barbecue sauce*, the Scull & Hammond set makes anything better! ;-)

          Jase

          * Yes, I am from Texas, so BBQ is never far from my mind.
        • David Emerson
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
            >Like a good barbecue sauce, the Scull & Hammond set makes anything better!

            A blurb you will probably not see on the paperback edition.

            emerdavid

            PeoplePC Online
            A better way to Internet
            http://www.peoplepc.com
          • Mike Foster
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
              Adam,
              In addition to the many excellent scholarly works noted previously here,
              seek out -The Lord of the Rings: 1954-2004- edited by Wayne Hammond and
              Christina Scull and published by Marquette University Press. Based on
              presentations made at the conference so titled at Marquette three years
              ago, it includes chapters by many of those named hitherto, including
              Rateliff, Anderson, Shippey, Garth, Burns, Flieger, Chance, Scull,
              Hammond-20 selections in all, most unavailable elsewhere.

              -The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien-, edited by Humphrey Carpenter, is also a
              worthy addition to your bookshelf.

              Your Christmas list is getting quite long. I hope you've been a very
              good boy.

              Mike Foster

              David Emerson wrote:
              >> From: Sara Ciborski <saraciborski@ <mailto:saraciborski%40tds.net>
              tds.net>

              >> I recommend Matthew Dickerson's Following Gandalf (superb)...
              >>

              > Funny, I didn't think much of Dickerson. It's an extended essay on the
              implications of LOTR, so I guess one's opinion of its value depends a
              lot on whether one agrees with the author's philosophy.

              > But I don't remember there being all that much actual scholarship in
              it, so it would not be on my list of recommended scholarly books about
              Tolkien.

              > emerdavid

            • Adam Smith
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
                Wow. Thanks to all for the excellent suggestions.

                A few of those I've already been through - the "old standbys" like
                Carpenter's 'The Letters of JRR Tolkien' and 'The Inklings' (I was
                very happy to find an affordable old hardcover edition of the latter
                recently on Barnes & Noble.com).

                This really helps to narrow down the field a bit, at least
                concerning where I should investigate next. Makes for a bit of a
                long Christmas list, like Mike suggested, but after all,
                I'm "always" a good boy. ;)

                ---------
                Adam S.

                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Smith" <amsmith0903@...> wrote:

                > I've really only been diving back into Tolkien scholarship for the
                > past year or so. There's been such an explosion of Tolkien-
                related
                > studies in the past few years that I'll never be able to keep up
                > with everything (or even most) of what is written.
                >
                > I'm curious what books others have really enjoyed? Suggestions?
                >
                > From a personal perspective, I can happily recommend some of the
                > books I've recently read:
                >
                > 'The History of the Hobbit' by John Rateliff
                > 'JRR Tolkien: Author of the Century' by Tom Shippey
                > 'The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary' by
                > Peter Gilliver
                > 'Interrupted Music' by Verlyn Fleiger
                >
                > I've already seen some glowing reviews for 'The Company They Keep'
                > and 'Tolkien & The Great War'. Are there others I shouldn't miss?

              • bernip
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
                  From: "Jason Fisher" <visualweasel@...>

                  >> The Scull & Hammond duo is one I keep nearby as reference
                  >> no matter what I'm reading because it adds depth to other books.
                  >
                  > Me too. Kipling, Dickens, Kafka, doesn't matter. Like a good barbecue
                  > sauce*, the Scull & Hammond set makes anything better! ;-)
                  >

                  > * Yes, I am from Texas, so BBQ is never far from my mind.

                  Okay, that made me laugh. "Scull & Hammond" even sounds like a condiment!
                  (Waves hi to Wayne and Christina)

                  Berni
                • Larry Swain
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
                    > Okay, that made me laugh. "Scull & Hammond" even sounds like a condiment!
                    > (Waves hi to Wayne and Christina)

                    Or a dish of British food: "I'll have the Bubble and Squeak with Hammond and Scull on the side"

                    Larry Swain

                    Powered by Outblaze
                  • Kim Jaudon
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 21, 2007
                      Oh man - I needed a good laugh today!!

                      Does anyone have an opinion on The Keys of Middle Earth, by Stuart Lee and Elizabeth Solopova? I just received it as a gift, and am wondering where to file it in the "books to be read" on my bedstand.