Re:Beowulf: The Movie

  • SBolding
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 20, 2007
      I don't post very often, and my background is in Old French rather than English or Anglo Saxon. However one thought keeps coming back to mind when I think of films like Beowolf and other adaptations.

      Basically, there are so many people out there who will never ever pick up a copy of Beowolf and actually read it. (Let alone pick up any book and read it.) However imperfect, the film will expose a large number of these people to a great literary tradition, and there is high value in that. Who knows but that the film may just inspire one or two of them to actually pick up the book? And that would be well worth any faults the film may contain.

      I have seen this phenomenon in several friends who never read Tolkein, but after the Jackson films are now avidly working their way through the novels, discussing them with me, and truly discovering the original works. That to my way of thinking is victory.

      Sharon Bolding

      "The worm thinks it strange and foolish
      that man does not eat his books."
      Rabindranath Tagore