What should be on my Christmas list?

  • Adam Smith
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 19, 2007
      I've really only been diving back into Tolkien scholarship for the
      past year or so. There's been such an explosion of Tolkien-related
      studies in the past few years that I'll never be able to keep up
      with everything (or even most) of what is written.

      I'm curious what books others have really enjoyed? Suggestions?

      From a personal perspective, I can happily recommend some of the
      books I've recently read:

      'The History of the Hobbit' by John Rateliff
      'JRR Tolkien: Author of the Century' by Tom Shippey
      'The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary' by
      Peter Gilliver
      'Interrupted Music' by Verlyn Fleiger

      I've already seen some glowing reviews for 'The Company They Keep'
      and 'Tolkien & The Great War'. Are there others I shouldn't miss?
    • Sara Ciborski
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 19, 2007
        I recommend Matthew Dickerson's Following Gandalf (superb), John Garth's
        Tolkien and the Great War (excellent), and the Scull and Hammond
        Companion and Guide (endlessly fascinating).
        Sara Ciborski

        Adam Smith wrote:
        > I've really only been diving back into Tolkien scholarship for the
        > past year or so. There's been such an explosion of Tolkien-related
        > studies in the past few years that I'll never be able to keep up
        > with everything (or even most) of what is written.
        >
        > I'm curious what books others have really enjoyed? Suggestions?
        >
        > >From a personal perspective, I can happily recommend some of the
        > books I've recently read:
        >
        > 'The History of the Hobbit' by John Rateliff
        > 'JRR Tolkien: Author of the Century' by Tom Shippey
        > 'The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary' by
        > Peter Gilliver
        > 'Interrupted Music' by Verlyn Fleiger
        >
        > I've already seen some glowing reviews for 'The Company They Keep'
        > and 'Tolkien & The Great War'. Are there others I shouldn't miss?

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Merlin DeTardo
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 19, 2007
          >>"Adam Smith" <amsmith0903@...> wrote:
          << I've really only been diving back into Tolkien scholarship for the
          past year or so... I'm curious what books others have really enjoyed?
          Suggestions? >>

          First, apologies to the list for the broken links in my previous
          posting (on _Beowulf_); I just cannot make them work here.
          Now to Adam's question. I also have trouble keeping up with all the
          recent work, but looking farther back, three of my favorites are:

          _Master of Middle-earth_ by Paul Kocher (1972)
          _The Road to Middle-earth_ by Tom Shippey (1982/2003)
          _Tolkien: A Cultural Phenomenon_ by Brian Rosebury (1992/2003)

          Fine scholarship, and excellent writing too.

          -Merlin DeTardo
        • Cristina A. Montes
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 19, 2007
            >John Garth's
            > Tolkien and the Great War (excellent),

            I agree. This is excelent. I also recommend:

            "The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien" (edited by Carpenter)
            "The Philosophy of Tolkien" by Peter Kreeft
            "Tolkien: Man and Myth" by Joseph Pearce
          • David Emerson
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
              >From: Sara Ciborski <saraciborski@...>
              >
              >I recommend Matthew Dickerson's Following Gandalf (superb)...

              Funny, I didn't think much of Dickerson. It's an extended essay on the implications of LOTR, so I guess one's opinion of its value depends a lot on whether one agrees with the author's philosophy.

              But I don't remember there being all that much actual scholarship in it, so it would not be on my list of recommended scholarly books about Tolkien.

              emerdavid

              PeoplePC Online
              A better way to Internet
              http://www.peoplepc.com
            • David Emerson
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
                >From a personal perspective, I can happily recommend some of the
                >books I've recently read:
                >
                >'The History of the Hobbit' by John Rateliff
                >'JRR Tolkien: Author of the Century' by Tom Shippey
                >'The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary' by
                >Peter Gilliver
                >'Interrupted Music' by Verlyn Fleiger
                >
                >I've already seen some glowing reviews for 'The Company They Keep'
                >and 'Tolkien & The Great War'. Are there others I shouldn't miss?

                All those are excellent. Further:
                - all of Shippey's and Flieger's other works
                - Lobdell's _A Tolkien Compass_
                - collections edited by Isaacs & Zimbardo (there have been three versions of almost the same collection, and I can't recall what the latest version is called)
                - Marjorie Burns
                - collections edited by Jane Chance (tho her solo books are scholarly, I feel she too often jumps to conclusions in order to support her personal biases, so I can't wholeheartedly recommend them)

                emerdavid

                PeoplePC Online
                A better way to Internet
                http://www.peoplepc.com
              • Kim Jaudon
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
                  These are all great recommendations. The Scull & Hammond duo is one I keep nearby as reference no matter what I'm reading because it adds depth to other books. It's a set you'll use as much as simply read. I also recommend that old chestnut, The Inklings, by Carpener.

                  Adam Smith wrote:
                  > I've really only been diving back into Tolkien scholarship for the
                  > past year or so. There's been such an explosion of Tolkien-related
                  > studies in the past few years that I'll never be able to keep up
                  > with everything (or even most) of what is written.
                  >
                  > I'm curious what books others have really enjoyed? Suggestions?
                  >
                  > >From a personal perspective, I can happily recommend some of the
                  > books I've recently read:
                  >
                  > 'The History of the Hobbit' by John Rateliff
                  > 'JRR Tolkien: Author of the Century' by Tom Shippey
                  > 'The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary' by
                  > Peter Gilliver
                  > 'Interrupted Music' by Verlyn Fleiger
                  >
                  > I've already seen some glowing reviews for 'The Company They Keep'
                  > and 'Tolkien & The Great War'. Are there others I shouldn't miss?
                  >

                  > The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc org
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Sara Ciborski
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
                    What I remember about Dickerson's book that I thought was particularly
                    important, is that he refutes the perception that Tolkien's work
                    glorifies war and violence -- especially timely in the aftermath of the
                    films. He does it pretty convincingly with text and thematic analysis.
                    And yes, it would not be considered "scholarly." But it would be a shame
                    to limit one's reading to that category.
                    Sara Ciborski

                    David Emerson wrote:
                    >> From: Sara Ciborski <saraciborski@...>
                    >>
                    >> I recommend Matthew Dickerson's Following Gandalf (superb)...
                    >>

                    > Funny, I didn't think much of Dickerson. It's an extended essay on the implications of LOTR, so I guess one's opinion of its value depends a lot on whether one agrees with the author's philosophy.
                    >
                    > But I don't remember there being all that much actual scholarship in it, so it would not be on my list of recommended scholarly books about Tolkien.
                    >
                    > emerdavid

                  • Jason Fisher
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
                      > The Scull & Hammond duo is one I keep nearby as reference
                      > no matter what I'm reading because it adds depth to other books.

                      Me too. Kipling, Dickens, Kafka, doesn't matter. Like a good barbecue sauce*, the Scull & Hammond set makes anything better! ;-)

                      Jase

                      * Yes, I am from Texas, so BBQ is never far from my mind.
                    • David Emerson
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
                        >Like a good barbecue sauce, the Scull & Hammond set makes anything better!

                        A blurb you will probably not see on the paperback edition.

                        emerdavid

                        PeoplePC Online
                        A better way to Internet
                        http://www.peoplepc.com
                      • Mike Foster
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
                          Adam,
                          In addition to the many excellent scholarly works noted previously here,
                          seek out -The Lord of the Rings: 1954-2004- edited by Wayne Hammond and
                          Christina Scull and published by Marquette University Press. Based on
                          presentations made at the conference so titled at Marquette three years
                          ago, it includes chapters by many of those named hitherto, including
                          Rateliff, Anderson, Shippey, Garth, Burns, Flieger, Chance, Scull,
                          Hammond-20 selections in all, most unavailable elsewhere.

                          -The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien-, edited by Humphrey Carpenter, is also a
                          worthy addition to your bookshelf.

                          Your Christmas list is getting quite long. I hope you've been a very
                          good boy.

                          Mike Foster

                          David Emerson wrote:
                          >> From: Sara Ciborski <saraciborski@ <mailto:saraciborski%40tds.net>
                          tds.net>

                          >> I recommend Matthew Dickerson's Following Gandalf (superb)...
                          >>

                          > Funny, I didn't think much of Dickerson. It's an extended essay on the
                          implications of LOTR, so I guess one's opinion of its value depends a
                          lot on whether one agrees with the author's philosophy.

                          > But I don't remember there being all that much actual scholarship in
                          it, so it would not be on my list of recommended scholarly books about
                          Tolkien.

                          > emerdavid

                        • Adam Smith
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
                            Wow. Thanks to all for the excellent suggestions.

                            A few of those I've already been through - the "old standbys" like
                            Carpenter's 'The Letters of JRR Tolkien' and 'The Inklings' (I was
                            very happy to find an affordable old hardcover edition of the latter
                            recently on Barnes & Noble.com).

                            This really helps to narrow down the field a bit, at least
                            concerning where I should investigate next. Makes for a bit of a
                            long Christmas list, like Mike suggested, but after all,
                            I'm "always" a good boy. ;)

                            ---------
                            Adam S.

                            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Smith" <amsmith0903@...> wrote:

                            > I've really only been diving back into Tolkien scholarship for the
                            > past year or so. There's been such an explosion of Tolkien-
                            related
                            > studies in the past few years that I'll never be able to keep up
                            > with everything (or even most) of what is written.
                            >
                            > I'm curious what books others have really enjoyed? Suggestions?
                            >
                            > From a personal perspective, I can happily recommend some of the
                            > books I've recently read:
                            >
                            > 'The History of the Hobbit' by John Rateliff
                            > 'JRR Tolkien: Author of the Century' by Tom Shippey
                            > 'The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary' by
                            > Peter Gilliver
                            > 'Interrupted Music' by Verlyn Fleiger
                            >
                            > I've already seen some glowing reviews for 'The Company They Keep'
                            > and 'Tolkien & The Great War'. Are there others I shouldn't miss?

                          • bernip
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
                              From: "Jason Fisher" <visualweasel@...>

                              >> The Scull & Hammond duo is one I keep nearby as reference
                              >> no matter what I'm reading because it adds depth to other books.
                              >
                              > Me too. Kipling, Dickens, Kafka, doesn't matter. Like a good barbecue
                              > sauce*, the Scull & Hammond set makes anything better! ;-)
                              >

                              > * Yes, I am from Texas, so BBQ is never far from my mind.

                              Okay, that made me laugh. "Scull & Hammond" even sounds like a condiment!
                              (Waves hi to Wayne and Christina)

                              Berni
                            • Larry Swain
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 20, 2007
                                > Okay, that made me laugh. "Scull & Hammond" even sounds like a condiment!
                                > (Waves hi to Wayne and Christina)

                                Or a dish of British food: "I'll have the Bubble and Squeak with Hammond and Scull on the side"

                                Larry Swain

                                Powered by Outblaze
                              • Kim Jaudon
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 21, 2007
                                  Oh man - I needed a good laugh today!!

                                  Does anyone have an opinion on The Keys of Middle Earth, by Stuart Lee and Elizabeth Solopova? I just received it as a gift, and am wondering where to file it in the "books to be read" on my bedstand.