_Vinyar Tengwar_ 41

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2000
      _Vinyar Tengwar_ 41 has been published.

      This 40-page issue features three items from Tolkien's linguistic papers:

      o "Etymological Notes on the _Ósanwe-kenta_", a list of roots and
      derivatives associated with the c. 1959-60 essay.
      o "From _The Shibboleth of Fëanor_", featuring passages and notes
      excluded from the c. 1968 essay as published in _The Peoples of
      Middle-earth_.
      o "Notes on _Óre_", a c. 1968 discussion of the history,
      significance, and usage of this Quenya word, touching on moral and
      metaphysical matters.

      In addition, Ivan Derzhanski contributes an article on "The Fëanorian
      Tengwar and the Typology of Phonetic Writing Systems"; and Arden
      Smith's popular column "Transitions in Translations" returns with a
      look at how translators deal (or fail to deal) with the "Proudfoots"
      vs. "ProudFEET!" distinction, plus extensive contributions from Ivan
      Derzhanski on Bulgarian and Russian translations.

      For more information on _Vinyar Tengwar_, see:

      http://www.elvish.org/VT/

      | |
      | Ars longa, vita brevis. |