Re: [mythsoc] de-lurking to introduce myself

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
      >>Read Shippey, Flieger, Barth, Rateliff, et al.
      >

      >Who is Barth? I presume you don't mean Karl Barth or John Barth. I don't
      >know offhand of any Inkling scholar named Barth.

      Sorry, that was a mental typo -- I meant Garth. John Garth, _Tolkien and the Great War_ to be specific.

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 12, 2007
        Hi Mary! Not to worry: all opinions are encouraged and welcome here. You don't have to be an academic; far from it. And there's no need to qualify "fan" with "just a"; we're all fans when you get right down to it. :)

        > I was thrilled to get an old copy (#12, 1976) of Mythlore when I
        > joined the M.S. and have tried to work up nerve to introduce
        > myself here since then.

        I got an old one when I joined a couple years ago, too (#10, the Tolkien memorial issue, a great addition to my collection), and I always meant to ask somebody about this. Is this the SOP for welcoming new members? Is there a big stack of old issues being slowly handed out? If so, I think that's a fantastic perk.

        Jason