Re: [mythsoc] Re: Introduction &c

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 11, 2007
      Yes, silly of me to have clean forgotten about Mike's group being the
      closest one to you -- but then Illinois' internal geography was never
      my strong point. Glad you're in contact with him and will be able to
      visit the Peoria group. Pity about Marquette, but so it goes. Glad
      you're enjoying RETURN TO BAG-END. My model was, of course,
      Christopher's HISTORY OF MIDDLE-EARTH series, particularly his
      treatment of text and commentary in THE BOOK OF LOST TALES. So my
      book is deliberately designed so that those who wish can just skip
      over my parts and read Tolkien's draft as a more or less continuous
      story (and a v. good one, too).

      Most recent Tolkien acquisitions:
      (1) THE ROOTS OF TOLKIEN'S MIDDLE EARTH by Rbt S. Blackham
      (nicely illustrated guide to places in the Birmingham area that might
      have influenced Tolkien), &
      (2) THE LORD OF THE RINGS OFFICIAL STAGE COMPANION by Gary
      Russell (the companion book to the London stage musical). I assume
      they'll release an 'original cast' soundtrack and poss. dvd at some
      point, but for now this is the best bet for those of us who can't
      make it to the London production to see what they've done with the
      story.
      While in Oxford recently I picked up several 'Oxford guidebooks'
      -- pamphlets, really -- and was interested to see that Tolkien and
      also Lewis are much more prominent in them than had been the case
      last time I was there. I think the only other Oxford figure who got
      so much space was Dogdson (i.e., Lewis Carroll).
      --JDR