Re: [mythsoc] de-lurking to introduce myself

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
      In a message dated 11/11/2007 1:18:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      emerdavid@... writes:

      Read Shippey, Flieger, Barth, Rateliff, et al.

      Who is Barth? I presume you don't mean Karl Barth or John Barth. I don't
      know offhand of any Inkling scholar named Barth.

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
        Undoubtably Garth. John Garth.

        >In a message dated 11/11/2007 1:18:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        >emerdavid@... writes:
        >
        >Read Shippey, Flieger, Barth, Rateliff, et al.
        >

        >Who is Barth? I presume you don't mean Karl Barth or John Barth. I don't
        >know offhand of any Inkling scholar named Barth.
        >
        >Wendell Wagner

      • Jeremy Edmonds
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
          Shaken, not stirred?

          --- David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:

          > Undoubtably Garth. John Garth.

          Rown's Books
          * Tolkien, SF&F and more *
          872 Loyalton Drive
          Campbell, CA 95008 USA
          (408) 396-6996
          www.rowns.com
        • David Emerson
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
            >>Read Shippey, Flieger, Barth, Rateliff, et al.
            >

            >Who is Barth? I presume you don't mean Karl Barth or John Barth. I don't
            >know offhand of any Inkling scholar named Barth.

            Sorry, that was a mental typo -- I meant Garth. John Garth, _Tolkien and the Great War_ to be specific.

            emerdavid

            PeoplePC Online
            A better way to Internet
            http://www.peoplepc.com
          • Jason Fisher
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 12, 2007
              Hi Mary! Not to worry: all opinions are encouraged and welcome here. You don't have to be an academic; far from it. And there's no need to qualify "fan" with "just a"; we're all fans when you get right down to it. :)

              > I was thrilled to get an old copy (#12, 1976) of Mythlore when I
              > joined the M.S. and have tried to work up nerve to introduce
              > myself here since then.

              I got an old one when I joined a couple years ago, too (#10, the Tolkien memorial issue, a great addition to my collection), and I always meant to ask somebody about this. Is this the SOP for welcoming new members? Is there a big stack of old issues being slowly handed out? If so, I think that's a fantastic perk.

              Jason