Discussion groups in Illinois

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 11, 2007
      I suppose that, depending where you are in IL, a Wisconsin group may
      indeed be the closest. But there is an active group in Illinois, the
      West Farthing Smial, which is also affiliated with The (British)
      Tolkien Society. In fact, one of our members, here in Minnesota, is
      missing our meeting this month as he's going to be visiting the
      Illinois group.

      You could also think about trying to organize a new group in Chicago
      if that's where you are. Historically, there have actually been a
      couple of different groups active in that city, Orthanc, many, many
      years ago, and The Place of the Lion, only many years ago.

      Check the Society Directory, _Mything Persons_, if you'd like to see
      whom else lives in the area and is currently a member of the
      Mythopoeic Society, but there are also a number of other approaches
      and resources. We have a Steward (MythSoc society officer) whom is
      charged with this responsibility of assisting in this process,
      formerly a separate job, now combined with Membership. And you could
      take a look at some of the previous Stewards' ideas on the old web-
      page at
      http://www.umn.edu/~d-lena/Hermits%27Pool.html

      On Nov 11, 2007, at 5:40 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      Where in Northern Illinois? I was just in Harvard and Rockford
      last month visiting in-laws. Unfortunately, since the Chicago-area
      Tolkien/Inklings discussion group ('Place of the Lion') broke up
      years ago, I think the closest groups of like-minded people these
      days must be Madison (the Univ. of Wisc. Tolk. Soc.) and Milwaukee
      (the Burrahobbits), either of which is well worth a visit if you find
      yourself in those parts.
      --John R.

      David Lenander
      d-lena@...
      2095 Hamline Ave. N.
      Roseville, MN 55113

      651-292-8887

    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 11, 2007
        Adam has previously been invited to join us at the Far Westfarthing
        smial's meetings, the next of which is this Friday Nov. 16th at 4:30
        p.m. at the Peoria Pizza Works on Prospect Road in Peoria Heights.

        After progressing through THE HOBBIT, THE LORD OF THE RINGS, THE
        SILMARILLION, and THE CHILDREN OF HURIN at a chapter-per-month rate from
        200O up through September, with a one-off break for THE LION, THE WITCH,
        & THE WARDROBE, we're taking a short break from Tolkien.

        This month the reading is Philip Pullman's NORTHERN LIGHTS aka THE
        GOLDEN COMPASS; December will be AMERICAN GODS by Neil Gaiman. The
        group turns ten years old next month. Tom Shippey and Doug Anderson as
        well as Rivendell's own David Emerson have met with us a time or two.

        Cheers,
        Mike

        http://www.umn <http://www.umn.edu/~d-lena/Hermits%27Pool.html>

        <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> .com wrote:

        Where in Northern Illinois? I was just in Harvard and Rockford
        last month visiting in-laws. Unfortunately, since the Chicago-area
        Tolkien/Inklings discussion group ('Place of the Lion') broke up
        years ago, I think the closest groups of like-minded people these
        days must be Madison (the Univ. of Wisc. Tolk. Soc.) and Milwaukee
        (the Burrahobbits), either of which is well worth a visit if you find
        yourself in those parts.
        --John R.

        David Lenander
        d-lena@... <mailto:d-lena%40umn.edu>
        2095 Hamline Ave. N.
        Roseville, MN 55113

        651-292-8887
        http://www.umn <http://www.umn.edu/~d-lena/RIVENDELL.html>
        edu/~d-lena/RIVENDELL.html

      • David Emerson
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 11, 2007
          >... The
          >group [Far Westfarthing smial] turns ten years old next month. Tom Shippey and Doug Anderson as
          >well as Rivendell's own David Emerson have met with us a time or two.

          Not, unfortunately for me, at the same time.

          David Emerson

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com