Re: [mythsoc] de-lurking to introduce myself

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
      >I am "just" a
      >fan and not any kind of scholar, and am mostly hoping to learn and
      >listen. In real life I am as far removed from academia as possible (I'm
      >a public health nurse!) but love to read and am very interested in
      >Tolkien in particular.

      If you've joined this list, you're already more than "just" a fan.

      No need to be among the tiny percentage of people who are actual academics (i.e. professors, graduate students, etc.) to be a scholar of Tolkien. Read Shippey, Flieger, Barth, Rateliff, et al.; discuss Tolkien & his works with like-minded others; go to Mythcon; develop your own thoughts.

      Me, I'm a computer geek for a living, and my major calling is music. But I've presented papers at Mythcons and not been laughed out of the room, so if that makes me a "scholar", then you can be one too.

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • aveeris523@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
        In a message dated 11/11/07 6:38:32 AM, gingermc@... writes:

        > Mary.
        >
        > I mostly lurk and am not a scholar, so I know how shy you can feel about
        > joining in. I have learned a great deal and enjoyed listening to the
        > discussions, especially when they get intense. The best way to benefit
        > from your membership, however, is to go to a Mythcon. Next summer's is in
        > Connecticut. When you put faces with all the names on the list, it is easier
        > to participate. Besides you will learn things and have a wonderful time.
        >
        > Ginger McElwee

        The really enjoyable part of the MythCons for me is the family reunion
        aspect of the group and the casual relationship among the participants-the authors,
        artists and researchers are just more fans, although better read. There
        aren't the kind of walls between people you can run into at major scifi/fantasy
        cons. We're all here because we are inspired by the literature and express it in
        a variety of ways: music, art, costuming, writing acting (serious and silly);
        some members have no particular specialty but love to be part of the audience.

        Steve Gaddis

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
          In a message dated 11/11/2007 1:18:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          emerdavid@... writes:

          Read Shippey, Flieger, Barth, Rateliff, et al.

          Who is Barth? I presume you don't mean Karl Barth or John Barth. I don't
          know offhand of any Inkling scholar named Barth.

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
            Undoubtably Garth. John Garth.

            >In a message dated 11/11/2007 1:18:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            >emerdavid@... writes:
            >
            >Read Shippey, Flieger, Barth, Rateliff, et al.
            >

            >Who is Barth? I presume you don't mean Karl Barth or John Barth. I don't
            >know offhand of any Inkling scholar named Barth.
            >
            >Wendell Wagner

          • Jeremy Edmonds
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
              Shaken, not stirred?

              --- David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:

              > Undoubtably Garth. John Garth.

              Rown's Books
              * Tolkien, SF&F and more *
              872 Loyalton Drive
              Campbell, CA 95008 USA
              (408) 396-6996
              www.rowns.com
            • David Emerson
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
                >>Read Shippey, Flieger, Barth, Rateliff, et al.
                >

                >Who is Barth? I presume you don't mean Karl Barth or John Barth. I don't
                >know offhand of any Inkling scholar named Barth.

                Sorry, that was a mental typo -- I meant Garth. John Garth, _Tolkien and the Great War_ to be specific.

                emerdavid

                PeoplePC Online
                A better way to Internet
                http://www.peoplepc.com
              • Jason Fisher
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 12, 2007
                  Hi Mary! Not to worry: all opinions are encouraged and welcome here. You don't have to be an academic; far from it. And there's no need to qualify "fan" with "just a"; we're all fans when you get right down to it. :)

                  > I was thrilled to get an old copy (#12, 1976) of Mythlore when I
                  > joined the M.S. and have tried to work up nerve to introduce
                  > myself here since then.

                  I got an old one when I joined a couple years ago, too (#10, the Tolkien memorial issue, a great addition to my collection), and I always meant to ask somebody about this. Is this the SOP for welcoming new members? Is there a big stack of old issues being slowly handed out? If so, I think that's a fantastic perk.

                  Jason