RE: [mythsoc] de-lurking to introduce myself

  • Ginger McElwee
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
      Mary wrote:
      >Hello, I'm a new member of the Mythopoeic Society and have been lurking
      >for a few weeks, too shy to break in and introduce myself. I am "just" a
      >fan and not any kind of scholar, and am mostly hoping to learn and
      >listen.

      .

      Image removed by sender.

      Mary.

      I mostly lurk and am not a scholar, so I know how shy you can feel about
      joining in. I have learned a great deal and enjoyed listening to the
      discussions, especially when they get intense. The best way to benefit
      from your membership, however, is to go to a Mythcon. Next summer's is in
      Connecticut. When you put faces with all the names on the list, it is easier
      to participate. Besides you will learn things and have a wonderful time.

      Ginger McElwee

    • mwilt
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
        Thanks, everyone, for your words of welcome. I'm looking foward to being
        part of the list.

        Ginger, I am already thinking about Mythcon. :-)

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
          >I am "just" a
          >fan and not any kind of scholar, and am mostly hoping to learn and
          >listen. In real life I am as far removed from academia as possible (I'm
          >a public health nurse!) but love to read and am very interested in
          >Tolkien in particular.

          If you've joined this list, you're already more than "just" a fan.

          No need to be among the tiny percentage of people who are actual academics (i.e. professors, graduate students, etc.) to be a scholar of Tolkien. Read Shippey, Flieger, Barth, Rateliff, et al.; discuss Tolkien & his works with like-minded others; go to Mythcon; develop your own thoughts.

          Me, I'm a computer geek for a living, and my major calling is music. But I've presented papers at Mythcons and not been laughed out of the room, so if that makes me a "scholar", then you can be one too.

          emerdavid

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com
        • aveeris523@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
            In a message dated 11/11/07 6:38:32 AM, gingermc@... writes:

            > Mary.
            >
            > I mostly lurk and am not a scholar, so I know how shy you can feel about
            > joining in. I have learned a great deal and enjoyed listening to the
            > discussions, especially when they get intense. The best way to benefit
            > from your membership, however, is to go to a Mythcon. Next summer's is in
            > Connecticut. When you put faces with all the names on the list, it is easier
            > to participate. Besides you will learn things and have a wonderful time.
            >
            > Ginger McElwee

            The really enjoyable part of the MythCons for me is the family reunion
            aspect of the group and the casual relationship among the participants-the authors,
            artists and researchers are just more fans, although better read. There
            aren't the kind of walls between people you can run into at major scifi/fantasy
            cons. We're all here because we are inspired by the literature and express it in
            a variety of ways: music, art, costuming, writing acting (serious and silly);
            some members have no particular specialty but love to be part of the audience.

            Steve Gaddis

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
              In a message dated 11/11/2007 1:18:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              emerdavid@... writes:

              Read Shippey, Flieger, Barth, Rateliff, et al.

              Who is Barth? I presume you don't mean Karl Barth or John Barth. I don't
              know offhand of any Inkling scholar named Barth.

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
                Undoubtably Garth. John Garth.

                >In a message dated 11/11/2007 1:18:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                >emerdavid@... writes:
                >
                >Read Shippey, Flieger, Barth, Rateliff, et al.
                >

                >Who is Barth? I presume you don't mean Karl Barth or John Barth. I don't
                >know offhand of any Inkling scholar named Barth.
                >
                >Wendell Wagner

              • Jeremy Edmonds
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
                  Shaken, not stirred?

                  --- David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:

                  > Undoubtably Garth. John Garth.

                  Rown's Books
                  * Tolkien, SF&F and more *
                  872 Loyalton Drive
                  Campbell, CA 95008 USA
                  (408) 396-6996
                  www.rowns.com
                • David Emerson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
                    >>Read Shippey, Flieger, Barth, Rateliff, et al.
                    >

                    >Who is Barth? I presume you don't mean Karl Barth or John Barth. I don't
                    >know offhand of any Inkling scholar named Barth.

                    Sorry, that was a mental typo -- I meant Garth. John Garth, _Tolkien and the Great War_ to be specific.

                    emerdavid

                    PeoplePC Online
                    A better way to Internet
                    http://www.peoplepc.com
                  • Jason Fisher
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 12, 2007
                      Hi Mary! Not to worry: all opinions are encouraged and welcome here. You don't have to be an academic; far from it. And there's no need to qualify "fan" with "just a"; we're all fans when you get right down to it. :)

                      > I was thrilled to get an old copy (#12, 1976) of Mythlore when I
                      > joined the M.S. and have tried to work up nerve to introduce
                      > myself here since then.

                      I got an old one when I joined a couple years ago, too (#10, the Tolkien memorial issue, a great addition to my collection), and I always meant to ask somebody about this. Is this the SOP for welcoming new members? Is there a big stack of old issues being slowly handed out? If so, I think that's a fantastic perk.

                      Jason