de-lurking to introduce myself

  • marywilt
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 10, 2007
      Hello, I'm a new member of the Mythopoeic Society and have been lurking
      for a few weeks, too shy to break in and introduce myself. I am "just" a
      fan and not any kind of scholar, and am mostly hoping to learn and
      listen. In real life I am as far removed from academia as possible (I'm
      a public health nurse!) but love to read and am very interested in
      Tolkien in particular.

      I was thrilled to get an old copy (#12, 1976) of Mythlore when I joined
      the M.S. and have tried to work up nerve to introduce myself here since
      then.

      So, there. I did it.

      :-)

      mary

    • Doug Kane
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 10, 2007
        Welcome, Mary. There is no such thing as "'just' a fan!" It is the people love the works of Tolkien, Lewis, Williams, etc. that keep those works alive. So pat yourself on the back, and don't hesitate to share your observations. If there is one thing that I have learned in my brief time (mostly lurking) on this list, it is that some of the biggest names in Tolkien scholardom are after all people too, and good, kind, friendly, welcoming people at that. So don't be intimidated.

        Doug

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 10, 2007
          In a message dated 11/10/2007 11:53:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          dougkane@... writes:

          If there is one thing that I have learned in my brief time (mostly lurking)
          on this list, it is that some of the biggest names in Tolkien scholardom are
          after all people too, and good, kind, friendly, welcoming people at that.

          And, of course, nearly all of us aren't Inkling scholars.

        • Ginger McElwee
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
            Mary wrote:
            >Hello, I'm a new member of the Mythopoeic Society and have been lurking
            >for a few weeks, too shy to break in and introduce myself. I am "just" a
            >fan and not any kind of scholar, and am mostly hoping to learn and
            >listen.

            .

            Image removed by sender.

            Mary.

            I mostly lurk and am not a scholar, so I know how shy you can feel about
            joining in. I have learned a great deal and enjoyed listening to the
            discussions, especially when they get intense. The best way to benefit
            from your membership, however, is to go to a Mythcon. Next summer's is in
            Connecticut. When you put faces with all the names on the list, it is easier
            to participate. Besides you will learn things and have a wonderful time.

            Ginger McElwee

          • mwilt
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
              Thanks, everyone, for your words of welcome. I'm looking foward to being
              part of the list.

              Ginger, I am already thinking about Mythcon. :-)

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
                >I am "just" a
                >fan and not any kind of scholar, and am mostly hoping to learn and
                >listen. In real life I am as far removed from academia as possible (I'm
                >a public health nurse!) but love to read and am very interested in
                >Tolkien in particular.

                If you've joined this list, you're already more than "just" a fan.

                No need to be among the tiny percentage of people who are actual academics (i.e. professors, graduate students, etc.) to be a scholar of Tolkien. Read Shippey, Flieger, Barth, Rateliff, et al.; discuss Tolkien & his works with like-minded others; go to Mythcon; develop your own thoughts.

                Me, I'm a computer geek for a living, and my major calling is music. But I've presented papers at Mythcons and not been laughed out of the room, so if that makes me a "scholar", then you can be one too.

                emerdavid

                PeoplePC Online
                A better way to Internet
                http://www.peoplepc.com
              • aveeris523@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
                  In a message dated 11/11/07 6:38:32 AM, gingermc@... writes:

                  > Mary.
                  >
                  > I mostly lurk and am not a scholar, so I know how shy you can feel about
                  > joining in. I have learned a great deal and enjoyed listening to the
                  > discussions, especially when they get intense. The best way to benefit
                  > from your membership, however, is to go to a Mythcon. Next summer's is in
                  > Connecticut. When you put faces with all the names on the list, it is easier
                  > to participate. Besides you will learn things and have a wonderful time.
                  >
                  > Ginger McElwee

                  The really enjoyable part of the MythCons for me is the family reunion
                  aspect of the group and the casual relationship among the participants-the authors,
                  artists and researchers are just more fans, although better read. There
                  aren't the kind of walls between people you can run into at major scifi/fantasy
                  cons. We're all here because we are inspired by the literature and express it in
                  a variety of ways: music, art, costuming, writing acting (serious and silly);
                  some members have no particular specialty but love to be part of the audience.

                  Steve Gaddis

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
                    In a message dated 11/11/2007 1:18:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    emerdavid@... writes:

                    Read Shippey, Flieger, Barth, Rateliff, et al.

                    Who is Barth? I presume you don't mean Karl Barth or John Barth. I don't
                    know offhand of any Inkling scholar named Barth.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
                      Undoubtably Garth. John Garth.

                      >In a message dated 11/11/2007 1:18:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      >emerdavid@... writes:
                      >
                      >Read Shippey, Flieger, Barth, Rateliff, et al.
                      >

                      >Who is Barth? I presume you don't mean Karl Barth or John Barth. I don't
                      >know offhand of any Inkling scholar named Barth.
                      >
                      >Wendell Wagner

                    • Jeremy Edmonds
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
                        Shaken, not stirred?

                        --- David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:

                        > Undoubtably Garth. John Garth.

                        Rown's Books
                        * Tolkien, SF&F and more *
                        872 Loyalton Drive
                        Campbell, CA 95008 USA
                        (408) 396-6996
                        www.rowns.com
                      • David Emerson
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
                          >>Read Shippey, Flieger, Barth, Rateliff, et al.
                          >

                          >Who is Barth? I presume you don't mean Karl Barth or John Barth. I don't
                          >know offhand of any Inkling scholar named Barth.

                          Sorry, that was a mental typo -- I meant Garth. John Garth, _Tolkien and the Great War_ to be specific.

                          emerdavid

                          PeoplePC Online
                          A better way to Internet
                          http://www.peoplepc.com
                        • Jason Fisher
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 12, 2007
                            Hi Mary! Not to worry: all opinions are encouraged and welcome here. You don't have to be an academic; far from it. And there's no need to qualify "fan" with "just a"; we're all fans when you get right down to it. :)

                            > I was thrilled to get an old copy (#12, 1976) of Mythlore when I
                            > joined the M.S. and have tried to work up nerve to introduce
                            > myself here since then.

                            I got an old one when I joined a couple years ago, too (#10, the Tolkien memorial issue, a great addition to my collection), and I always meant to ask somebody about this. Is this the SOP for welcoming new members? Is there a big stack of old issues being slowly handed out? If so, I think that's a fantastic perk.

                            Jason