Re: Introduction

  • Adam Smith
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 10, 2007
      Thanks for the welcome John...and it is a great pleasure to meet
      you.

      I'm about halfway through the second volume of The History of the
      Hobbit and have found it absolutely fascinating. I must say that
      you did a fantastic job not just with the research and scholarship,
      but with the organization of the piece, which reads smoothly. The
      editorial commentary does not interfere with the narrative, and I
      think that gives the volumes a flow that is missing from 'The
      History of LotR'.

      I actually live about midway between Peoria and Rockford...out in no-
      man's land, so to speak. Strangely enough, my sister-in-law also
      lives in Harvard. Small world.

      I learned at the last moment (from Mike Foster) about your speaking
      engagement at Marquette, and wish I had known earlier. I hope to
      meet with Mike's Peoria Mythsoc discussion group later this month
      for the first time, so that should be fascinating.

      ------
      Adam S.

      > Welcome to the list, Adam.
      > And thanks for the link to your website. Only had a chance to
      > glance at it so far, but looks quite interesting.
      > Where in Northern Illinois? I was just in Harvard and
      Rockford
      > last month visiting in-laws. Unfortunately, since the Chicago-
      area
      > Tolkien/Inklings discussion group ('Place of the Lion') broke up
      > years ago, I think the closest groups of like-minded people these
      > days must be Madison (the Univ. of Wisc. Tolk. Soc.) and
      Milwaukee
      > (the Burrahobbits), either of which is well worth a visit if you
      find
      yourself in those parts.
      > --John R.
      >
      > On Nov 8, 2007, at 10:37 AM, Adam Smith wrote:
      > > Hello all,
      > >
      > > I already made my first post a couple of days ago, but since I'm
      new
      > > to the board (and to the Mythopoeic Society) I thought I would
      > > introduce myself.
      > >
      > > My name is Adam Smith, I'm 30, and live in Northern Illinois.
      I've
      > > been a fan of fantasy, and particularly JRR Tolkien, for as long
      as
      > > I can remember. I first read 'The Hobbit' some time in my late
      > > elementary school years and have been hooked ever since.
      > >
      > > Earlier this year I returned to Tolkien's books after a few
      years of
      > > burnout. The movies had put what had seemed like a very private
      > > (and exclusive) love of Tolkien into the mainstream. Not that
      > > Tolkien hadn't been extremely popular and influencial before
      then,
      > > but Middle-earth was suddenly on every street corner and on the
      lips
      > > of people who had never in their life picked up a book.
      > >
      > > The movies did have a positive effect, however, in helping to
      bring
      > > forth the current resurgence of scholarship on all things
      Tolkien,
      > > and so I soon found myself once again knee-deep in Tolkien
      studies
      > > and fascinated anew by the fantasy genre.
      > >
      > > I started a website earlier this year, www.tolkien-online.com,
      as an
      > > outlet for my own personal essays & opinions, and as a source of
      > > information for others. It is a collection of various reviews,
      > > studies, and overviews.
      > >
      > > I also joined the Mythopoeic Society back in April, hoping to
      learn
      > > from others and contribute to fantasy studies.
      > >
      > > I recently stumbled across a link to this group and promptly
      > > joined. I already recognize many of the names here as prominent
      > > writers, Tolkien scholars, and active members of the Mythopoeic
      > > Society.
      > >
      > > It is wonderful to meet you all. I hope that I can also make a
      > > positive contribution to the various discussions here in the
      future.

      > > ------
      > > Adam Smith
      > > tolkien-online.com

    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 11, 2007
        Yes, silly of me to have clean forgotten about Mike's group being the
        closest one to you -- but then Illinois' internal geography was never
        my strong point. Glad you're in contact with him and will be able to
        visit the Peoria group. Pity about Marquette, but so it goes. Glad
        you're enjoying RETURN TO BAG-END. My model was, of course,
        Christopher's HISTORY OF MIDDLE-EARTH series, particularly his
        treatment of text and commentary in THE BOOK OF LOST TALES. So my
        book is deliberately designed so that those who wish can just skip
        over my parts and read Tolkien's draft as a more or less continuous
        story (and a v. good one, too).

        Most recent Tolkien acquisitions:
        (1) THE ROOTS OF TOLKIEN'S MIDDLE EARTH by Rbt S. Blackham
        (nicely illustrated guide to places in the Birmingham area that might
        have influenced Tolkien), &
        (2) THE LORD OF THE RINGS OFFICIAL STAGE COMPANION by Gary
        Russell (the companion book to the London stage musical). I assume
        they'll release an 'original cast' soundtrack and poss. dvd at some
        point, but for now this is the best bet for those of us who can't
        make it to the London production to see what they've done with the
        story.
        While in Oxford recently I picked up several 'Oxford guidebooks'
        -- pamphlets, really -- and was interested to see that Tolkien and
        also Lewis are much more prominent in them than had been the case
        last time I was there. I think the only other Oxford figure who got
        so much space was Dogdson (i.e., Lewis Carroll).
        --JDR