Introduction

  • Adam Smith
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 8, 2007
      Hello all,

      I already made my first post a couple of days ago, but since I'm new
      to the board (and to the Mythopoeic Society) I thought I would
      introduce myself.

      My name is Adam Smith, I'm 30, and live in Northern Illinois. I've
      been a fan of fantasy, and particularly JRR Tolkien, for as long as
      I can remember. I first read 'The Hobbit' some time in my late
      elementary school years and have been hooked ever since.

      Earlier this year I returned to Tolkien's books after a few years of
      burnout. The movies had put what had seemed like a very private
      (and exclusive) love of Tolkien into the mainstream. Not that
      Tolkien hadn't been extremely popular and influencial before then,
      but Middle-earth was suddenly on every street corner and on the lips
      of people who had never in their life picked up a book.

      The movies did have a positive effect, however, in helping to bring
      forth the current resurgence of scholarship on all things Tolkien,
      and so I soon found myself once again knee-deep in Tolkien studies
      and fascinated anew by the fantasy genre.

      I started a website earlier this year, www.tolkien-online.com, as an
      outlet for my own personal essays & opinions, and as a source of
      information for others. It is a collection of various reviews,
      studies, and overviews.

      I also joined the Mythopoeic Society back in April, hoping to learn
      from others and contribute to fantasy studies.

      I recently stumbled across a link to this group and promptly
      joined. I already recognize many of the names here as prominent
      writers, Tolkien scholars, and active members of the Mythopoeic
      Society.

      It is wonderful to meet you all. I hope that I can also make a
      positive contribution to the various discussions here in the future.

      ------
      Adam Smith
      tolkien-online.com
    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 10, 2007
        Welcome to the list, Adam.
        And thanks for the link to your website. Only had a chance to
        glance at it so far, but looks quite interesting.
        Where in Northern Illinois? I was just in Harvard and Rockford
        last month visiting in-laws. Unfortunately, since the Chicago-area
        Tolkien/Inklings discussion group ('Place of the Lion') broke up
        years ago, I think the closest groups of like-minded people these
        days must be Madison (the Univ. of Wisc. Tolk. Soc.) and Milwaukee
        (the Burrahobbits), either of which is well worth a visit if you find
        yourself in those parts.
        --John R.

        On Nov 8, 2007, at 10:37 AM, Adam Smith wrote:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > I already made my first post a couple of days ago, but since I'm new
        > to the board (and to the Mythopoeic Society) I thought I would
        > introduce myself.
        >
        > My name is Adam Smith, I'm 30, and live in Northern Illinois. I've
        > been a fan of fantasy, and particularly JRR Tolkien, for as long as
        > I can remember. I first read 'The Hobbit' some time in my late
        > elementary school years and have been hooked ever since.
        >
        > Earlier this year I returned to Tolkien's books after a few years of
        > burnout. The movies had put what had seemed like a very private
        > (and exclusive) love of Tolkien into the mainstream. Not that
        > Tolkien hadn't been extremely popular and influencial before then,
        > but Middle-earth was suddenly on every street corner and on the lips
        > of people who had never in their life picked up a book.
        >
        > The movies did have a positive effect, however, in helping to bring
        > forth the current resurgence of scholarship on all things Tolkien,
        > and so I soon found myself once again knee-deep in Tolkien studies
        > and fascinated anew by the fantasy genre.
        >
        > I started a website earlier this year, www.tolkien-online.com, as an
        > outlet for my own personal essays & opinions, and as a source of
        > information for others. It is a collection of various reviews,
        > studies, and overviews.
        >
        > I also joined the Mythopoeic Society back in April, hoping to learn
        > from others and contribute to fantasy studies.
        >
        > I recently stumbled across a link to this group and promptly
        > joined. I already recognize many of the names here as prominent
        > writers, Tolkien scholars, and active members of the Mythopoeic
        > Society.
        >
        > It is wonderful to meet you all. I hope that I can also make a
        > positive contribution to the various discussions here in the future.
        >
        > ------
        > Adam Smith
        > tolkien-online.com
      • Adam Smith
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 10, 2007
          Thanks for the welcome John...and it is a great pleasure to meet
          you.

          I'm about halfway through the second volume of The History of the
          Hobbit and have found it absolutely fascinating. I must say that
          you did a fantastic job not just with the research and scholarship,
          but with the organization of the piece, which reads smoothly. The
          editorial commentary does not interfere with the narrative, and I
          think that gives the volumes a flow that is missing from 'The
          History of LotR'.

          I actually live about midway between Peoria and Rockford...out in no-
          man's land, so to speak. Strangely enough, my sister-in-law also
          lives in Harvard. Small world.

          I learned at the last moment (from Mike Foster) about your speaking
          engagement at Marquette, and wish I had known earlier. I hope to
          meet with Mike's Peoria Mythsoc discussion group later this month
          for the first time, so that should be fascinating.

          ------
          Adam S.

> [...]
          studies
          > > and fascinated anew by the fantasy genre.
          > >
          > > I started a website earlier this year, www.tolkien-online.com,
          as an
          > > outlet for my own personal essays & opinions, and as a source of
          > > information for others. It is a collection of various reviews,
          > > studies, and overviews.
          > >
          > > I also joined the Mythopoeic Society back in April, hoping to
          learn
          > > from others and contribute to fantasy studies.
          > >
          > > I recently stumbled across a link to this group and promptly
          > > joined. I already recognize many of the names here as prominent
          > > writers, Tolkien scholars, and active members of the Mythopoeic
          > > Society.
          > >
          > > It is wonderful to meet you all. I hope that I can also make a
          > > positive contribution to the various discussions here in the

        • John D Rateliff
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 11, 2007
            Yes, silly of me to have clean forgotten about Mike's group being the
            closest one to you -- but then Illinois' internal geography was never
            my strong point. Glad you're in contact with him and will be able to
            visit the Peoria group. Pity about Marquette, but so it goes. Glad
            you're enjoying RETURN TO BAG-END. My model was, of course,
            Christopher's HISTORY OF MIDDLE-EARTH series, particularly his
            treatment of text and commentary in THE BOOK OF LOST TALES. So my
            book is deliberately designed so that those who wish can just skip
            over my parts and read Tolkien's draft as a more or less continuous
            story (and a v. good one, too).

            Most recent Tolkien acquisitions:
            (1) THE ROOTS OF TOLKIEN'S MIDDLE EARTH by Rbt S. Blackham
            (nicely illustrated guide to places in the Birmingham area that might
            have influenced Tolkien), &
            (2) THE LORD OF THE RINGS OFFICIAL STAGE COMPANION by Gary
            Russell (the companion book to the London stage musical). I assume
            they'll release an 'original cast' soundtrack and poss. dvd at some
            point, but for now this is the best bet for those of us who can't
            make it to the London production to see what they've done with the
            story.
            While in Oxford recently I picked up several 'Oxford guidebooks'
            -- pamphlets, really -- and was interested to see that Tolkien and
            also Lewis are much more prominent in them than had been the case
            last time I was there. I think the only other Oxford figure who got
            so much space was Dogdson (i.e., Lewis Carroll).
            --JDR