Re: The Company They Keep-review

  • amsmith0903
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
      Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
      is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
      Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
      (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
      one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
      seem hastily written.

      BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
      fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
      scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
      neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
      another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
      on one another.

      I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
      appendix. ;)

      ----------
      Adam Smith
      www.tolkien-online.com
    • Lynn Maudlin
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
        You'll enjoy it, Adam - it's a *very* engaging and entertaining,
        thought-provoking book and I'd rave more except Diana's a friend of
        mine and people will think I'm just promoting a friend's work. NO! I'm
        bouncing up and down saying, "This is the best book I've read this
        year! And I don't care who wrote it."

        -- Lynn --

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "amsmith0903" <amsmith0903@...> wrote:

        > Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
        > is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
        > Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
        > (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
        > one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
        > seem hastily written.
        >
        > BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
        > fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
        > scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
        > neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
        > another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
        > on one another.
        >
        > I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
        > appendix. ;)
        >
        > ----------
        > Adam Smith
        > www.tolkien-online.com

      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 7, 2007
          Let me chime here in that it's a WONDERFUL book, and not just because it's about the Inklings. The insights on collaborative writing and on influence are also eye-opening, and make me want to go out and co-author things. I wish I'd read her book before some of the recent discussions I've seen on my _Tolkien and Shakespeare_ so I could have been all erudite and articulate when countering people who say "but Tolkien hated Shakespeare, so how could there be any influence?" (which usually leaves me sputtering and gnashing my teeth...)

          Janet

          ________________________________

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com<mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>, "amsmith0903" <amsmith0903@...> wrote:

          > Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
          > is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
          > Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
          > (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
          > one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
          > seem hastily written.
          >
          > BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
          > fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
          > scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
          > neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
          > another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
          > on one another.
          >
          > I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
          > appendix. ;)

        • Lynn Maudlin
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 7, 2007
            yes, the examination of what we mean by "influence" and what a narrow
            (or simplistic) view we generally take... great stuff!

            BTW, Mythlore 100 just arrived yesterday and LOOKS GREAT (and also
            contains a review of *The Company They Keep* - accurate and glowing, I
            might add) - excellent work, Janet.

            -- Lynn --

            > Let me chime here in that it's a WONDERFUL book, and not just
            because it's about the Inklings. The insights on collaborative
            writing and on influence are also eye-opening, and make me want to go
            out and co-author things. I wish I'd read her book before some of the
            recent discussions I've seen on my _Tolkien and Shakespeare_ so I
            could have been all erudite and articulate when countering people who
            say "but Tolkien hated Shakespeare, so how could there be any
            influence?" (which usually leaves me sputtering and gnashing my teeth...)

            > Janet

            Behalf Of Lynn Maudlin