Re: The Company They Keep-review

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
      http://www.midwestbookreview.com/rbw/nov_07.htm#henry

      It's the 12th review in the "Henry's Bookshelf" section.

      -- Lynn --

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...> wrote:

      > Along with what everyone else has said, the website doesn't exist
      either (at
      > least not from where I am coming from.) Try
      >
      > http://upress.kent.edu/
      >
      > instead.
      >
      > Jeremy

    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
        "A David Bratman"? The appendix was done by "THE David Bratman," o

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> .com,
        Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...> wrote:

        > Along with what everyone else has said, the website doesn't exist
        either (at
        > least not from where I am coming from.) Try
        >
        > http://upress. <http://upress.kent.edu/> kent.edu/
        >
        > instead.
        >
        > Jeremy

      • amsmith0903
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
          Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
          is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
          Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
          (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
          one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
          seem hastily written.

          BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
          fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
          scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
          neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
          another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
          on one another.

          I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
          appendix. ;)

          ----------
          Adam Smith
          www.tolkien-online.com
        • Lynn Maudlin
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
            You'll enjoy it, Adam - it's a *very* engaging and entertaining,
            thought-provoking book and I'd rave more except Diana's a friend of
            mine and people will think I'm just promoting a friend's work. NO! I'm
            bouncing up and down saying, "This is the best book I've read this
            year! And I don't care who wrote it."

            -- Lynn --

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "amsmith0903" <amsmith0903@...> wrote:

            > Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
            > is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
            > Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
            > (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
            > one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
            > seem hastily written.
            >
            > BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
            > fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
            > scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
            > neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
            > another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
            > on one another.
            >
            > I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
            > appendix. ;)
            >
            > ----------
            > Adam Smith
            > www.tolkien-online.com

          • Croft, Janet B.
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 7, 2007
              Let me chime here in that it's a WONDERFUL book, and not just because it's about the Inklings. The insights on collaborative writing and on influence are also eye-opening, and make me want to go out and co-author things. I wish I'd read her book before some of the recent discussions I've seen on my _Tolkien and Shakespeare_ so I could have been all erudite and articulate when countering people who say "but Tolkien hated Shakespeare, so how could there be any influence?" (which usually leaves me sputtering and gnashing my teeth...)

              Janet

              ________________________________

              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com<mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>, "amsmith0903" <amsmith0903@...> wrote:

              > Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
              > is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
              > Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
              > (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
              > one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
              > seem hastily written.
              >
              > BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
              > fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
              > scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
              > neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
              > another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
              > on one another.
              >
              > I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
              > appendix. ;)

            • Lynn Maudlin
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 7, 2007
                yes, the examination of what we mean by "influence" and what a narrow
                (or simplistic) view we generally take... great stuff!

                BTW, Mythlore 100 just arrived yesterday and LOOKS GREAT (and also
                contains a review of *The Company They Keep* - accurate and glowing, I
                might add) - excellent work, Janet.

                -- Lynn --

                > Let me chime here in that it's a WONDERFUL book, and not just
                because it's about the Inklings. The insights on collaborative
                writing and on influence are also eye-opening, and make me want to go
                out and co-author things. I wish I'd read her book before some of the
                recent discussions I've seen on my _Tolkien and Shakespeare_ so I
                could have been all erudite and articulate when countering people who
                say "but Tolkien hated Shakespeare, so how could there be any
                influence?" (which usually leaves me sputtering and gnashing my teeth...)

                > Janet

                Behalf Of Lynn Maudlin