Re: [mythsoc] Congr. to Wayne & Christina

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2007
      Does the "new facsimile edition" of _Mr. Bliss_ differ in any way from the old facsimile edition of _Mr. Bliss_, or is it just a reissue? I feel a little confused, because if I were using this wording, it would be of a book which had been published before but not in facsimile, whereas the only editions of _Mr. Bliss_ I've ever seen were facsimiles.

      The hardcover re-release of Lin Carter - who published this US edition? Is this the same text released in the UK in 2004 (IIRC - my books are all still packed) semi-silently revised by Adam Roberts? (His name was on the dj but not the tp, and the updates were nowhere identified as such in the text.) You can identify it by the way he clumsily adds a description of the Silmarillion without deleting Carter's necessarily vague guesses about it (leading to the weird spectacle of an author apparently correcting himself in mid-chapter) and by the haphazard additions to the list of fantasy authors influenced by Tolkien.

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 5, 2007
        David wrote:

        >Let me make sure I follow this. I read this as saying that there are, or
        >are to be, three softcover editions of the LR Reader's Companion:
        >
        >1) A British mass market pb in 2005;
        >2) A US mass market in 2007;
        >3) A British trade pb in 2008, which will have corrections which the above
        >two don't.

        Just (1) and (3). In the U.S. the _Reader's Companion_ was published only
        in hardcover. Of course we'd be thrilled if Houghton Mifflin were to
        publish it also in paperback!

        Wayne

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 5, 2007
          OK, then what did John Rateliff see in the bookstore? An import copy of #1, or is he in England at the moment and I missed that fact?