Congr. to Wayne & Christina

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2007
      Saturday I saw in a bookstore the new paperback edition of Wayne &
      Christina's READER'S GUIDE to LotR. It's not a book I was expecting
      to see in paperback, much less mass market paperback, and I was
      delighted that it's getting a wider circulation.
      Also saw the new facsimile edition of MR. BLISS and, oddly
      enough, a hardcover re-release of Lin Carter's A LOOK BEHIND THE LORD
      OF THE RINGS --! And, as an associational book, the companion to the
      LotR stage musical, for those interested in the associational titles.
      So, the books new and old keep coming. Which is a good thing, sez I.
      --John R.
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 5, 2007
        John wrote:

        >Saturday I saw in a bookstore the new paperback edition of Wayne &
        >Christina's READER'S GUIDE to LotR. It's not a book I was expecting
        >to see in paperback, much less mass market paperback, and I was
        >delighted that it's getting a wider circulation.

        Our _Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion_ came out in mass market
        paperback (in the U.K., Canada, etc.) in 2005, simultaneous with the
        hardcover, so that HarperCollins could include it in boxed sets with 50th
        anniversary editions of _The Lord of the Rings_ in both formats. Next year,
        HarperCollins will reissue the _Reader's Companion_, with corrections, in
        trade paperback at the same time as a new trade paperback LR.

        Wayne and Christina

      • David Emerson
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 5, 2007
          >Saturday I saw in a bookstore the new paperback edition of Wayne &
          >Christina's READER'S GUIDE to LotR.

          In what section? I always have trouble finding books *about* Tolkien in bookstores -- they're occasionally shelved with the LOTR & HOME editions, but places like Borders or Barnes & Noble don't seem to have specific sections called "Literary Criticism" or suchlike. "Biography" might contain Humphrey Carpenter if we're lucky, but that's about it.

          emerdavid

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 5, 2007
            Let me make sure I follow this. I read this as saying that there are, or are to be, three softcover editions of the LR Reader's Companion:

            1) A British mass market pb in 2005;
            2) A US mass market in 2007;
            3) A British trade pb in 2008, which will have corrections which the above two don't.

            Do I have that correctly?

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 5, 2007
              Does the "new facsimile edition" of _Mr. Bliss_ differ in any way from the old facsimile edition of _Mr. Bliss_, or is it just a reissue? I feel a little confused, because if I were using this wording, it would be of a book which had been published before but not in facsimile, whereas the only editions of _Mr. Bliss_ I've ever seen were facsimiles.

              The hardcover re-release of Lin Carter - who published this US edition? Is this the same text released in the UK in 2004 (IIRC - my books are all still packed) semi-silently revised by Adam Roberts? (His name was on the dj but not the tp, and the updates were nowhere identified as such in the text.) You can identify it by the way he clumsily adds a description of the Silmarillion without deleting Carter's necessarily vague guesses about it (leading to the weird spectacle of an author apparently correcting himself in mid-chapter) and by the haphazard additions to the list of fantasy authors influenced by Tolkien.

              >Saturday I saw in a bookstore the new paperback edition of Wayne &
              >Christina's READER'S GUIDE to LotR. It's not a book I was expecting
              >to see in paperback, much less mass market paperback, and I was
              >delighted that it's getting a wider circulation.
              > Also saw the new facsimile edition of MR. BLISS and, oddly
              >enough, a hardcover re-release of Lin Carter's A LOOK BEHIND THE LORD
              >OF THE RINGS --! And, as an associational book, the companion to the
              >LotR stage musical, for those interested in the associational titles.
              > So, the books new and old keep coming. Which is a good thing, sez I.
              >--John R.
            • Wayne G. Hammond
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 5, 2007
                David wrote:

                >Let me make sure I follow this. I read this as saying that there are, or
                >are to be, three softcover editions of the LR Reader's Companion:
                >
                >1) A British mass market pb in 2005;
                >2) A US mass market in 2007;
                >3) A British trade pb in 2008, which will have corrections which the above
                >two don't.

                Just (1) and (3). In the U.S. the _Reader's Companion_ was published only
                in hardcover. Of course we'd be thrilled if Houghton Mifflin were to
                publish it also in paperback!

                Wayne

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 5, 2007
                  OK, then what did John Rateliff see in the bookstore? An import copy of #1, or is he in England at the moment and I missed that fact?