Re: [mythsoc] History of the Hobbit

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 5, 2007
      Many thanks, Doug, and many thanks for all who said nice things about
      the book here; I really appreciate it. I've been meaning to respond
      to each one but I've been on the road off and on for what a while now
      and it's been hard to get on-line, much less have time to make a well-
      considered response. So let me just say that after having worked on
      it for so long, it's good to have it out there, and actually have
      people reading it. I'm looking forward to hearing from folks what
      they think about specific bits in it; please let me know what parts
      you found interesting, what you agreed with and what you didn't, what
      you'd most want to know that I didn't cover, &c.
      By the way, it looks like I'm going to be able to add the missing
      appendix to the trade paperback edition due out next year in England:
      I had Appendix V drafted but had to abandon it in order to get the
      index done in time. It's a listing of the people Tolkien sent his
      author's copies of THE HOBBIT to. Not something whose absence leaves
      a gaping hole, but it's nice to be able to include it; wraps things
      up nicely.
      Thanks again to Doug and all.
      --John R.