Re: [mythsoc] The Company They Keep-review

  • Jeremy Edmonds
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
      Along with what everyone else has said, the website doesn't exist either (at
      least not from where I am coming from.) Try

      http://upress.kent.edu/

      instead.

      Jeremy

      --
      Rown's Books
      * Tolkien, SF&F and more *
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
        Thanks for sharing the review, Joan. Reads to me as if there's some
        from the middle missing (the mention of the Apolausticks sounds like
        it's meant to introduce specific mention of several groups JRRT
        belonged to, while instead the next paragraph jumps to wrapping the
        piece up), but it might be that way in the original. Glad the book is
        getting attention, and that the piece, brief as it is, praises the
        book (and singles out David's contribution as well). Congratulations,
        both Diana and David.
        --JDR

      • Jason Fisher
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
          > So glad to know I'm not alone in finding this a very strange review

          At least there is the excellent review (by Andrew Lazo) in the new Mythlore to balance such oddities.

          Jason
        • Lynn Maudlin
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
            http://www.midwestbookreview.com/rbw/nov_07.htm#henry

            It's the 12th review in the "Henry's Bookshelf" section.

            -- Lynn --

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...> wrote:

            > Along with what everyone else has said, the website doesn't exist
            either (at
            > least not from where I am coming from.) Try
            >
            > http://upress.kent.edu/
            >
            > instead.
            >
            > Jeremy

          • Mike Foster
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
              "A David Bratman"? The appendix was done by "THE David Bratman," o

              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> .com,
              Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...> wrote:

              > Along with what everyone else has said, the website doesn't exist
              either (at
              > least not from where I am coming from.) Try
              >
              > http://upress. <http://upress.kent.edu/> kent.edu/
              >
              > instead.
              >
              > Jeremy

            • amsmith0903
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
                is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
                Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
                (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
                one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
                seem hastily written.

                BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
                fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
                scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
                neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
                another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
                on one another.

                I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
                appendix. ;)

                ----------
                Adam Smith
                www.tolkien-online.com
              • Lynn Maudlin
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                  You'll enjoy it, Adam - it's a *very* engaging and entertaining,
                  thought-provoking book and I'd rave more except Diana's a friend of
                  mine and people will think I'm just promoting a friend's work. NO! I'm
                  bouncing up and down saying, "This is the best book I've read this
                  year! And I don't care who wrote it."

                  -- Lynn --

                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "amsmith0903" <amsmith0903@...> wrote:

                  > Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
                  > is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
                  > Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
                  > (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
                  > one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
                  > seem hastily written.
                  >
                  > BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
                  > fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
                  > scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
                  > neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
                  > another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
                  > on one another.
                  >
                  > I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
                  > appendix. ;)
                  >
                  > ----------
                  > Adam Smith
                  > www.tolkien-online.com

                • Croft, Janet B.
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 7, 2007
                    Let me chime here in that it's a WONDERFUL book, and not just because it's about the Inklings. The insights on collaborative writing and on influence are also eye-opening, and make me want to go out and co-author things. I wish I'd read her book before some of the recent discussions I've seen on my _Tolkien and Shakespeare_ so I could have been all erudite and articulate when countering people who say "but Tolkien hated Shakespeare, so how could there be any influence?" (which usually leaves me sputtering and gnashing my teeth...)

                    Janet

                    ________________________________

                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com<mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>, "amsmith0903" <amsmith0903@...> wrote:

                    > Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
                    > is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
                    > Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
                    > (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
                    > one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
                    > seem hastily written.
                    >
                    > BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
                    > fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
                    > scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
                    > neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
                    > another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
                    > on one another.
                    >
                    > I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
                    > appendix. ;)

                  • Lynn Maudlin
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 7, 2007
                      yes, the examination of what we mean by "influence" and what a narrow
                      (or simplistic) view we generally take... great stuff!

                      BTW, Mythlore 100 just arrived yesterday and LOOKS GREAT (and also
                      contains a review of *The Company They Keep* - accurate and glowing, I
                      might add) - excellent work, Janet.

                      -- Lynn --

                      > Let me chime here in that it's a WONDERFUL book, and not just
                      because it's about the Inklings. The insights on collaborative
                      writing and on influence are also eye-opening, and make me want to go
                      out and co-author things. I wish I'd read her book before some of the
                      recent discussions I've seen on my _Tolkien and Shakespeare_ so I
                      could have been all erudite and articulate when countering people who
                      say "but Tolkien hated Shakespeare, so how could there be any
                      influence?" (which usually leaves me sputtering and gnashing my teeth...)

                      > Janet

                      Behalf Of Lynn Maudlin