Re: [mythsoc] Re: The Company They Keep-review

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
      >> "J.K. Rowling" + "J.R.R. Tolkien" = "J.R. Rowling"?

      Or is it a reference to DYNASTY? :-)

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • Jeremy Edmonds
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
        Along with what everyone else has said, the website doesn't exist either (at
        least not from where I am coming from.) Try

        http://upress.kent.edu/

        instead.

        Jeremy

        --
        Rown's Books
        * Tolkien, SF&F and more *
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
          Thanks for sharing the review, Joan. Reads to me as if there's some
          from the middle missing (the mention of the Apolausticks sounds like
          it's meant to introduce specific mention of several groups JRRT
          belonged to, while instead the next paragraph jumps to wrapping the
          piece up), but it might be that way in the original. Glad the book is
          getting attention, and that the piece, brief as it is, praises the
          book (and singles out David's contribution as well). Congratulations,
          both Diana and David.
          --JDR

        • Jason Fisher
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
            > So glad to know I'm not alone in finding this a very strange review

            At least there is the excellent review (by Andrew Lazo) in the new Mythlore to balance such oddities.

            Jason
          • Lynn Maudlin
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
              http://www.midwestbookreview.com/rbw/nov_07.htm#henry

              It's the 12th review in the "Henry's Bookshelf" section.

              -- Lynn --

              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...> wrote:

              > Along with what everyone else has said, the website doesn't exist
              either (at
              > least not from where I am coming from.) Try
              >
              > http://upress.kent.edu/
              >
              > instead.
              >
              > Jeremy

            • Mike Foster
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                "A David Bratman"? The appendix was done by "THE David Bratman," o

                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> .com,
                Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...> wrote:

                > Along with what everyone else has said, the website doesn't exist
                either (at
                > least not from where I am coming from.) Try
                >
                > http://upress. <http://upress.kent.edu/> kent.edu/
                >
                > instead.
                >
                > Jeremy

              • amsmith0903
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                  Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
                  is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
                  Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
                  (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
                  one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
                  seem hastily written.

                  BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
                  fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
                  scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
                  neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
                  another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
                  on one another.

                  I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
                  appendix. ;)

                  ----------
                  Adam Smith
                  www.tolkien-online.com
                • Lynn Maudlin
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                    You'll enjoy it, Adam - it's a *very* engaging and entertaining,
                    thought-provoking book and I'd rave more except Diana's a friend of
                    mine and people will think I'm just promoting a friend's work. NO! I'm
                    bouncing up and down saying, "This is the best book I've read this
                    year! And I don't care who wrote it."

                    -- Lynn --

                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "amsmith0903" <amsmith0903@...> wrote:

                    > Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
                    > is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
                    > Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
                    > (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
                    > one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
                    > seem hastily written.
                    >
                    > BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
                    > fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
                    > scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
                    > neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
                    > another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
                    > on one another.
                    >
                    > I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
                    > appendix. ;)
                    >
                    > ----------
                    > Adam Smith
                    > www.tolkien-online.com

                  • Croft, Janet B.
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 7, 2007
                      Let me chime here in that it's a WONDERFUL book, and not just because it's about the Inklings. The insights on collaborative writing and on influence are also eye-opening, and make me want to go out and co-author things. I wish I'd read her book before some of the recent discussions I've seen on my _Tolkien and Shakespeare_ so I could have been all erudite and articulate when countering people who say "but Tolkien hated Shakespeare, so how could there be any influence?" (which usually leaves me sputtering and gnashing my teeth...)

                      Janet

                      ________________________________

                      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com<mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>, "amsmith0903" <amsmith0903@...> wrote:

                      > Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
                      > is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
                      > Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
                      > (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
                      > one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
                      > seem hastily written.
                      >
                      > BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
                      > fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
                      > scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
                      > neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
                      > another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
                      > on one another.
                      >
                      > I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
                      > appendix. ;)

                    • Lynn Maudlin
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 7, 2007
                        yes, the examination of what we mean by "influence" and what a narrow
                        (or simplistic) view we generally take... great stuff!

                        BTW, Mythlore 100 just arrived yesterday and LOOKS GREAT (and also
                        contains a review of *The Company They Keep* - accurate and glowing, I
                        might add) - excellent work, Janet.

                        -- Lynn --

                        > Let me chime here in that it's a WONDERFUL book, and not just
                        because it's about the Inklings. The insights on collaborative
                        writing and on influence are also eye-opening, and make me want to go
                        out and co-author things. I wish I'd read her book before some of the
                        recent discussions I've seen on my _Tolkien and Shakespeare_ so I
                        could have been all erudite and articulate when countering people who
                        say "but Tolkien hated Shakespeare, so how could there be any
                        influence?" (which usually leaves me sputtering and gnashing my teeth...)

                        > Janet

                        Behalf Of Lynn Maudlin