Re: The Company They Keep-review

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
      I fear the next logical step is J.K.R. Tolkien... *shudder*

      So glad to know I'm not alone in finding this a very strange review--

      -- Lynn --

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Merlin DeTardo" <emptyD@...> wrote:

      > >"Mike Foster" <mafoster@> wrote:
      > << The fact that "Henry" mistook J.K. Rowling's middle initial is both
      > revelatory and something an editor should've caught. >>
      >
      > "J.K. Rowling" + "J.R.R. Tolkien" = "J.R. Rowling"?
      >
      > -Merlin DeTardo

    • David Emerson
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
        >> "J.K. Rowling" + "J.R.R. Tolkien" = "J.R. Rowling"?

        Or is it a reference to DYNASTY? :-)

        emerdavid

        PeoplePC Online
        A better way to Internet
        http://www.peoplepc.com
      • Jeremy Edmonds
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
          Along with what everyone else has said, the website doesn't exist either (at
          least not from where I am coming from.) Try

          http://upress.kent.edu/

          instead.

          Jeremy

          --
          Rown's Books
          * Tolkien, SF&F and more *
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
            Thanks for sharing the review, Joan. Reads to me as if there's some
            from the middle missing (the mention of the Apolausticks sounds like
            it's meant to introduce specific mention of several groups JRRT
            belonged to, while instead the next paragraph jumps to wrapping the
            piece up), but it might be that way in the original. Glad the book is
            getting attention, and that the piece, brief as it is, praises the
            book (and singles out David's contribution as well). Congratulations,
            both Diana and David.
            --JDR

          • Jason Fisher
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
              > So glad to know I'm not alone in finding this a very strange review

              At least there is the excellent review (by Andrew Lazo) in the new Mythlore to balance such oddities.

              Jason
            • Lynn Maudlin
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                http://www.midwestbookreview.com/rbw/nov_07.htm#henry

                It's the 12th review in the "Henry's Bookshelf" section.

                -- Lynn --

                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...> wrote:

                > Along with what everyone else has said, the website doesn't exist
                either (at
                > least not from where I am coming from.) Try
                >
                > http://upress.kent.edu/
                >
                > instead.
                >
                > Jeremy

              • Mike Foster
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                  "A David Bratman"? The appendix was done by "THE David Bratman," o

                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> .com,
                  Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...> wrote:

                  > Along with what everyone else has said, the website doesn't exist
                  either (at
                  > least not from where I am coming from.) Try
                  >
                  > http://upress. <http://upress.kent.edu/> kent.edu/
                  >
                  > instead.
                  >
                  > Jeremy

                • amsmith0903
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                    Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
                    is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
                    Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
                    (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
                    one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
                    seem hastily written.

                    BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
                    fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
                    scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
                    neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
                    another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
                    on one another.

                    I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
                    appendix. ;)

                    ----------
                    Adam Smith
                    www.tolkien-online.com
                  • Lynn Maudlin
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                      You'll enjoy it, Adam - it's a *very* engaging and entertaining,
                      thought-provoking book and I'd rave more except Diana's a friend of
                      mine and people will think I'm just promoting a friend's work. NO! I'm
                      bouncing up and down saying, "This is the best book I've read this
                      year! And I don't care who wrote it."

                      -- Lynn --

                      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "amsmith0903" <amsmith0903@...> wrote:

                      > Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
                      > is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
                      > Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
                      > (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
                      > one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
                      > seem hastily written.
                      >
                      > BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
                      > fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
                      > scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
                      > neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
                      > another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
                      > on one another.
                      >
                      > I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
                      > appendix. ;)
                      >
                      > ----------
                      > Adam Smith
                      > www.tolkien-online.com

                    • Croft, Janet B.
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 7, 2007
                        Let me chime here in that it's a WONDERFUL book, and not just because it's about the Inklings. The insights on collaborative writing and on influence are also eye-opening, and make me want to go out and co-author things. I wish I'd read her book before some of the recent discussions I've seen on my _Tolkien and Shakespeare_ so I could have been all erudite and articulate when countering people who say "but Tolkien hated Shakespeare, so how could there be any influence?" (which usually leaves me sputtering and gnashing my teeth...)

                        Janet

                        ________________________________

                        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com<mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>, "amsmith0903" <amsmith0903@...> wrote:

                        > Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
                        > is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
                        > Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
                        > (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
                        > one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
                        > seem hastily written.
                        >
                        > BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
                        > fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
                        > scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
                        > neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
                        > another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
                        > on one another.
                        >
                        > I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
                        > appendix. ;)

                      • Lynn Maudlin
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 7, 2007
                          yes, the examination of what we mean by "influence" and what a narrow
                          (or simplistic) view we generally take... great stuff!

                          BTW, Mythlore 100 just arrived yesterday and LOOKS GREAT (and also
                          contains a review of *The Company They Keep* - accurate and glowing, I
                          might add) - excellent work, Janet.

                          -- Lynn --

                          > Let me chime here in that it's a WONDERFUL book, and not just
                          because it's about the Inklings. The insights on collaborative
                          writing and on influence are also eye-opening, and make me want to go
                          out and co-author things. I wish I'd read her book before some of the
                          recent discussions I've seen on my _Tolkien and Shakespeare_ so I
                          could have been all erudite and articulate when countering people who
                          say "but Tolkien hated Shakespeare, so how could there be any
                          influence?" (which usually leaves me sputtering and gnashing my teeth...)

                          > Janet

                          Behalf Of Lynn Maudlin