Re: The Company They Keep-review

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
      >"Mike Foster" <mafoster@...> wrote:
      << The fact that "Henry" mistook J.K. Rowling's middle initial is both
      revelatory and something an editor should've caught. >>

      "J.K. Rowling" + "J.R.R. Tolkien" = "J.R. Rowling"?

      -Merlin DeTardo
    • Lynn Maudlin
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
        Part of a larger collection, perhaps...?! ;> Funny, something about
        that sentence bothered me but I didn't *register* the curious "a".

        > "In an appendix by a David Bratman"? What does he think I am, a
        relative of A. Whitney Brown?

      • Lynn Maudlin
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
          I fear the next logical step is J.K.R. Tolkien... *shudder*

          So glad to know I'm not alone in finding this a very strange review--

          -- Lynn --

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Merlin DeTardo" <emptyD@...> wrote:

          > >"Mike Foster" <mafoster@> wrote:
          > << The fact that "Henry" mistook J.K. Rowling's middle initial is both
          > revelatory and something an editor should've caught. >>
          >
          > "J.K. Rowling" + "J.R.R. Tolkien" = "J.R. Rowling"?
          >
          > -Merlin DeTardo

        • David Emerson
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
            >> "J.K. Rowling" + "J.R.R. Tolkien" = "J.R. Rowling"?

            Or is it a reference to DYNASTY? :-)

            emerdavid

            PeoplePC Online
            A better way to Internet
            http://www.peoplepc.com
          • Jeremy Edmonds
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
              Along with what everyone else has said, the website doesn't exist either (at
              least not from where I am coming from.) Try

              http://upress.kent.edu/

              instead.

              Jeremy

              --
              Rown's Books
              * Tolkien, SF&F and more *
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                Thanks for sharing the review, Joan. Reads to me as if there's some
                from the middle missing (the mention of the Apolausticks sounds like
                it's meant to introduce specific mention of several groups JRRT
                belonged to, while instead the next paragraph jumps to wrapping the
                piece up), but it might be that way in the original. Glad the book is
                getting attention, and that the piece, brief as it is, praises the
                book (and singles out David's contribution as well). Congratulations,
                both Diana and David.
                --JDR

              • Jason Fisher
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                  > So glad to know I'm not alone in finding this a very strange review

                  At least there is the excellent review (by Andrew Lazo) in the new Mythlore to balance such oddities.

                  Jason
                • Lynn Maudlin
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                    http://www.midwestbookreview.com/rbw/nov_07.htm#henry

                    It's the 12th review in the "Henry's Bookshelf" section.

                    -- Lynn --

                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...> wrote:

                    > Along with what everyone else has said, the website doesn't exist
                    either (at
                    > least not from where I am coming from.) Try
                    >
                    > http://upress.kent.edu/
                    >
                    > instead.
                    >
                    > Jeremy

                  • Mike Foster
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                      "A David Bratman"? The appendix was done by "THE David Bratman," o

                      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> .com,
                      Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...> wrote:

                      > Along with what everyone else has said, the website doesn't exist
                      either (at
                      > least not from where I am coming from.) Try
                      >
                      > http://upress. <http://upress.kent.edu/> kent.edu/
                      >
                      > instead.
                      >
                      > Jeremy

                    • amsmith0903
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                        Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
                        is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
                        Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
                        (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
                        one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
                        seem hastily written.

                        BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
                        fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
                        scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
                        neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
                        another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
                        on one another.

                        I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
                        appendix. ;)

                        ----------
                        Adam Smith
                        www.tolkien-online.com
                      • Lynn Maudlin
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                          You'll enjoy it, Adam - it's a *very* engaging and entertaining,
                          thought-provoking book and I'd rave more except Diana's a friend of
                          mine and people will think I'm just promoting a friend's work. NO! I'm
                          bouncing up and down saying, "This is the best book I've read this
                          year! And I don't care who wrote it."

                          -- Lynn --

                          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "amsmith0903" <amsmith0903@...> wrote:

                          > Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
                          > is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
                          > Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
                          > (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
                          > one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
                          > seem hastily written.
                          >
                          > BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
                          > fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
                          > scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
                          > neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
                          > another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
                          > on one another.
                          >
                          > I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
                          > appendix. ;)
                          >
                          > ----------
                          > Adam Smith
                          > www.tolkien-online.com

                        • Croft, Janet B.
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 7, 2007
                            Let me chime here in that it's a WONDERFUL book, and not just because it's about the Inklings. The insights on collaborative writing and on influence are also eye-opening, and make me want to go out and co-author things. I wish I'd read her book before some of the recent discussions I've seen on my _Tolkien and Shakespeare_ so I could have been all erudite and articulate when countering people who say "but Tolkien hated Shakespeare, so how could there be any influence?" (which usually leaves me sputtering and gnashing my teeth...)

                            Janet

                            ________________________________

                            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com<mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>, "amsmith0903" <amsmith0903@...> wrote:

                            > Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
                            > is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
                            > Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
                            > (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
                            > one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
                            > seem hastily written.
                            >
                            > BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
                            > fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
                            > scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
                            > neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
                            > another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
                            > on one another.
                            >
                            > I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
                            > appendix. ;)

                          • Lynn Maudlin
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 7, 2007
                              yes, the examination of what we mean by "influence" and what a narrow
                              (or simplistic) view we generally take... great stuff!

                              BTW, Mythlore 100 just arrived yesterday and LOOKS GREAT (and also
                              contains a review of *The Company They Keep* - accurate and glowing, I
                              might add) - excellent work, Janet.

                              -- Lynn --

                              > Let me chime here in that it's a WONDERFUL book, and not just
                              because it's about the Inklings. The insights on collaborative
                              writing and on influence are also eye-opening, and make me want to go
                              out and co-author things. I wish I'd read her book before some of the
                              recent discussions I've seen on my _Tolkien and Shakespeare_ so I
                              could have been all erudite and articulate when countering people who
                              say "but Tolkien hated Shakespeare, so how could there be any
                              influence?" (which usually leaves me sputtering and gnashing my teeth...)

                              > Janet

                              Behalf Of Lynn Maudlin