Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [mythsoc] The Company They Keep-review

Expand Messages
  • David Bratman
    In an appendix by a David Bratman ? What does he think I am, a relative of A. Whitney Brown?
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      "In an appendix by a David Bratman"? What does he think I am, a relative of A. Whitney Brown?
    • Merlin DeTardo
      ... J.K. Rowling + J.R.R.
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        >"Mike Foster" <mafoster@...> wrote:
        << The fact that "Henry" mistook J.K. Rowling's middle initial is both
        revelatory and something an editor should've caught. >>

        "J.K. Rowling" + "J.R.R. Tolkien" = "J.R. Rowling"?

        -Merlin DeTardo
      • Lynn Maudlin
        Part of a larger collection, perhaps...?! ; Funny, something about that sentence bothered me but I didn t *register* the curious a . ... relative of A.
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          Part of a larger collection, perhaps...?! ;> Funny, something about
          that sentence bothered me but I didn't *register* the curious "a".



          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
          >
          > "In an appendix by a David Bratman"? What does he think I am, a
          relative of A. Whitney Brown?
          >
        • Lynn Maudlin
          I fear the next logical step is J.K.R. Tolkien... *shudder* So glad to know I m not alone in finding this a very strange review-- -- Lynn --
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            I fear the next logical step is J.K.R. Tolkien... *shudder*

            So glad to know I'm not alone in finding this a very strange review--

            -- Lynn --


            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Merlin DeTardo" <emptyD@...> wrote:
            >
            > >"Mike Foster" <mafoster@> wrote:
            > << The fact that "Henry" mistook J.K. Rowling's middle initial is both
            > revelatory and something an editor should've caught. >>
            >
            > "J.K. Rowling" + "J.R.R. Tolkien" = "J.R. Rowling"?
            >
            > -Merlin DeTardo
            >
          • David Emerson
            ... Or is it a reference to DYNASTY? :-) emerdavid ________________________________________ PeoplePC Online A better way to Internet http://www.peoplepc.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              >> "J.K. Rowling" + "J.R.R. Tolkien" = "J.R. Rowling"?
              >>

              Or is it a reference to DYNASTY? :-)

              emerdavid

              ________________________________________
              PeoplePC Online
              A better way to Internet
              http://www.peoplepc.com
            • Jeremy Edmonds
              Along with what everyone else has said, the website doesn t exist either (at least not from where I am coming from.) Try http://upress.kent.edu/ instead.
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
              • 0 Attachment
                Along with what everyone else has said, the website doesn't exist either (at
                least not from where I am coming from.) Try

                http://upress.kent.edu/

                instead.

                Jeremy


                --- Joan.Marie.Verba@... wrote:

                > From the November 2007 Midwest Book Review (reprinted by permission):
                >
                > The Company They Keep - C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien as
                > Writers in a Community
                > Diana Pavlac Glyer
                > Kent State U. Press
                > Kent, OH
                > 9780873388900 $45.00 www.kentstateuniveritypress.com
                >
                > The fantasy literature of C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien is so
                > imaginative and idiosyncratic that one accepts that they wrote such
                > lasting works somewhat obstinately and mainly privately almost as
                > a hobby with little hope they would ever be published, much less
                > popular. The picture of J. R. Rowling writing the beginnings of the
                > first Harry Potter book sitting along at a table in an English shop
                > comes to mind with this image of the earlier authors. Lewis and
                > Tolkien are known to be good friends as well as professional
                > colleagues at Oxford University. But as professor of English at
                > Azusa Pacific U. in California Glyer puts forward, Lewis and
                > Tolkien were part of a circle of academics and writers who had a
                > large, discernible, and often documented influence on their works.
                >
                > From diaries, memoirs, letters, and other sources, Glyer finds that
                > this influence is most evident with Tolkien. This circle which
                > acquired the name "The Inklings," "modeled the behavior of poets
                > and storytellers, provided feedback on his drafts, helped him
                > develop his own critical faculties, recommended reading material
                > that supported and shaped his imagination, and suggested that
                > certain pieces be started, reworked, completed, or submitted for
                > publication." Glyer continues, "It is no small matter that all of this
                > early influence took place within a highly interactive group
                > setting." What the author says with respect to Tolkien applies as
                > well to Lewis, though not quite so overtly recognizably. In their
                > turn, Tolkien and Lewis were active participants in the group
                > offering the same support and suggestions to its other members.
                > Shortly after arriving at Oxford as a student, Tolkien founded the
                > literary society named the "Apolausticks."
                >
                > In an appendix by a David Bratman, relevant background on 17
                > members of the Inklings besides Tolkien and Lewis is given. Most
                > became university professors of English or medieval literature or of
                > language studies, with most doing scholarly writings on literary
                > criticism. This work of literary criticism and author biography is
                > obviously timely given the current interest in these authors as
                > evidenced by widely-popular movies made from books of theirs.
                >
                >


                --
                Rown's Books
                * Tolkien, SF&F and more *
                872 Loyalton Drive
                Campbell, CA 95008 USA
                (408) 396-6996
                www.rowns.com
              • John D Rateliff
                Thanks for sharing the review, Joan. Reads to me as if there s some from the middle missing (the mention of the Apolausticks sounds like it s meant to
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                • 0 Attachment
                  Thanks for sharing the review, Joan. Reads to me as if there's some
                  from the middle missing (the mention of the Apolausticks sounds like
                  it's meant to introduce specific mention of several groups JRRT
                  belonged to, while instead the next paragraph jumps to wrapping the
                  piece up), but it might be that way in the original. Glad the book is
                  getting attention, and that the piece, brief as it is, praises the
                  book (and singles out David's contribution as well). Congratulations,
                  both Diana and David.
                  --JDR


                  On Nov 3, 2007, at 8:00 PM, Joan.Marie.Verba@... wrote:
                  > From the November 2007 Midwest Book Review (reprinted by permission):
                  >
                  > The Company They Keep - C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien as
                  > Writers in a Community
                  > Diana Pavlac Glyer
                  > Kent State U. Press
                  > Kent, OH
                  > 9780873388900 $45.00 www.kentstateuniveritypress.com
                  >
                  > The fantasy literature of C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien is so
                  > imaginative and idiosyncratic that one accepts that they wrote such
                  > lasting works somewhat obstinately and mainly privately almost as
                  > a hobby with little hope they would ever be published, much less
                  > popular. The picture of J. R. Rowling writing the beginnings of the
                  > first Harry Potter book sitting along at a table in an English shop
                  > comes to mind with this image of the earlier authors. Lewis and
                  > Tolkien are known to be good friends as well as professional
                  > colleagues at Oxford University. But as professor of English at
                  > Azusa Pacific U. in California Glyer puts forward, Lewis and
                  > Tolkien were part of a circle of academics and writers who had a
                  > large, discernible, and often documented influence on their works.
                  >
                  > From diaries, memoirs, letters, and other sources, Glyer finds that
                  > this influence is most evident with Tolkien. This circle which
                  > acquired the name "The Inklings," "modeled the behavior of poets
                  > and storytellers, provided feedback on his drafts, helped him
                  > develop his own critical faculties, recommended reading material
                  > that supported and shaped his imagination, and suggested that
                  > certain pieces be started, reworked, completed, or submitted for
                  > publication." Glyer continues, "It is no small matter that all of this
                  > early influence took place within a highly interactive group
                  > setting." What the author says with respect to Tolkien applies as
                  > well to Lewis, though not quite so overtly recognizably. In their
                  > turn, Tolkien and Lewis were active participants in the group
                  > offering the same support and suggestions to its other members.
                  > Shortly after arriving at Oxford as a student, Tolkien founded the
                  > literary society named the "Apolausticks."
                  >
                  > In an appendix by a David Bratman, relevant background on 17
                  > members of the Inklings besides Tolkien and Lewis is given. Most
                  > became university professors of English or medieval literature or of
                  > language studies, with most doing scholarly writings on literary
                  > criticism. This work of literary criticism and author biography is
                  > obviously timely given the current interest in these authors as
                  > evidenced by widely-popular movies made from books of theirs.
                • Jason Fisher
                  ... At least there is the excellent review (by Andrew Lazo) in the new Mythlore to balance such oddities. Jason
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                  • 0 Attachment
                    > So glad to know I'm not alone in finding this a very strange review

                    At least there is the excellent review (by Andrew Lazo) in the new Mythlore to balance such oddities.

                    Jason
                  • Lynn Maudlin
                    http://www.midwestbookreview.com/rbw/nov_07.htm#henry It s the 12th review in the Henry s Bookshelf section. -- Lynn -- ... either (at
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                    • 0 Attachment
                      http://www.midwestbookreview.com/rbw/nov_07.htm#henry

                      It's the 12th review in the "Henry's Bookshelf" section.

                      -- Lynn --

                      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > Along with what everyone else has said, the website doesn't exist
                      either (at
                      > least not from where I am coming from.) Try
                      >
                      > http://upress.kent.edu/
                      >
                      > instead.
                      >
                      > Jeremy
                      >
                      >
                    • Mike Foster
                      A David Bratman ? The appendix was done by THE David Bratman, o Henry. ... From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mythsoc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Lynn
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                      • 0 Attachment
                        "A David Bratman"? The appendix was done by "THE David Bratman," o
                        Henry.

                        -----Original Message-----
                        From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mythsoc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                        Of Lynn Maudlin
                        Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 5:25 PM
                        To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
                        Subject: [mythsoc] Re: The Company They Keep-review

                        http://www.midwestb
                        <http://www.midwestbookreview.com/rbw/nov_07.htm#henry>
                        ookreview.com/rbw/nov_07.htm#henry

                        It's the 12th review in the "Henry's Bookshelf" section.

                        -- Lynn --

                        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> .com,
                        Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > Along with what everyone else has said, the website doesn't exist
                        either (at
                        > least not from where I am coming from.) Try
                        >
                        > http://upress. <http://upress.kent.edu/> kent.edu/
                        >
                        > instead.
                        >
                        > Jeremy
                        >
                        >



                        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                      • amsmith0903
                        Reading through Henry s reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews. Some (mostly novels)
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
                          is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
                          Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
                          (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
                          one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
                          seem hastily written.

                          BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
                          fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
                          scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
                          neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
                          another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
                          on one another.

                          I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
                          appendix. ;)

                          ----------
                          Adam Smith
                          www.tolkien-online.com
                        • Lynn Maudlin
                          You ll enjoy it, Adam - it s a *very* engaging and entertaining, thought-provoking book and I d rave more except Diana s a friend of mine and people will think
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                          • 0 Attachment
                            You'll enjoy it, Adam - it's a *very* engaging and entertaining,
                            thought-provoking book and I'd rave more except Diana's a friend of
                            mine and people will think I'm just promoting a friend's work. NO! I'm
                            bouncing up and down saying, "This is the best book I've read this
                            year! And I don't care who wrote it."

                            -- Lynn --


                            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "amsmith0903" <amsmith0903@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
                            > is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
                            > Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
                            > (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
                            > one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
                            > seem hastily written.
                            >
                            > BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
                            > fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
                            > scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
                            > neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
                            > another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
                            > on one another.
                            >
                            > I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
                            > appendix. ;)
                            >
                            > ----------
                            > Adam Smith
                            > www.tolkien-online.com
                            >
                          • Croft, Janet B.
                            Let me chime here in that it s a WONDERFUL book, and not just because it s about the Inklings. The insights on collaborative writing and on influence are also
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 7, 2007
                            • 0 Attachment
                              Let me chime here in that it's a WONDERFUL book, and not just because it's about the Inklings. The insights on collaborative writing and on influence are also eye-opening, and make me want to go out and co-author things. I wish I'd read her book before some of the recent discussions I've seen on my _Tolkien and Shakespeare_ so I could have been all erudite and articulate when countering people who say "but Tolkien hated Shakespeare, so how could there be any influence?" (which usually leaves me sputtering and gnashing my teeth...)


                              Janet

                              ________________________________
                              From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mythsoc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Lynn Maudlin
                              Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 6:16 PM
                              To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
                              Subject: [mythsoc] Re: The Company They Keep-review


                              You'll enjoy it, Adam - it's a *very* engaging and entertaining,
                              thought-provoking book and I'd rave more except Diana's a friend of
                              mine and people will think I'm just promoting a friend's work. NO! I'm
                              bouncing up and down saying, "This is the best book I've read this
                              year! And I don't care who wrote it."

                              -- Lynn --

                              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com<mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>, "amsmith0903" <amsmith0903@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
                              > is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
                              > Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
                              > (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
                              > one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
                              > seem hastily written.
                              >
                              > BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
                              > fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
                              > scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
                              > neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
                              > another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
                              > on one another.
                              >
                              > I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
                              > appendix. ;)
                              >
                              > ----------
                              > Adam Smith
                              > www.tolkien-online.com
                              >



                              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                            • Lynn Maudlin
                              yes, the examination of what we mean by influence and what a narrow (or simplistic) view we generally take... great stuff! BTW, Mythlore 100 just arrived
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 7, 2007
                              • 0 Attachment
                                yes, the examination of what we mean by "influence" and what a narrow
                                (or simplistic) view we generally take... great stuff!

                                BTW, Mythlore 100 just arrived yesterday and LOOKS GREAT (and also
                                contains a review of *The Company They Keep* - accurate and glowing, I
                                might add) - excellent work, Janet.

                                -- Lynn --


                                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > Let me chime here in that it's a WONDERFUL book, and not just
                                because it's about the Inklings. The insights on collaborative
                                writing and on influence are also eye-opening, and make me want to go
                                out and co-author things. I wish I'd read her book before some of the
                                recent discussions I've seen on my _Tolkien and Shakespeare_ so I
                                could have been all erudite and articulate when countering people who
                                say "but Tolkien hated Shakespeare, so how could there be any
                                influence?" (which usually leaves me sputtering and gnashing my teeth...)
                                >
                                >
                                > Janet
                                >
                                > ________________________________
                                > From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mythsoc@yahoogroups.com] On
                                Behalf Of Lynn Maudlin
                                > Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 6:16 PM
                                > To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
                                > Subject: [mythsoc] Re: The Company They Keep-review
                                >
                                >
                                > You'll enjoy it, Adam - it's a *very* engaging and entertaining,
                                > thought-provoking book and I'd rave more except Diana's a friend of
                                > mine and people will think I'm just promoting a friend's work. NO! I'm
                                > bouncing up and down saying, "This is the best book I've read this
                                > year! And I don't care who wrote it."
                                >
                                > -- Lynn --
                                >
                                > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com<mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                "amsmith0903" <amsmith0903@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
                                > > is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
                                > > Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
                                > > (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
                                > > one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
                                > > seem hastily written.
                                > >
                                > > BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
                                > > fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
                                > > scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
                                > > neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
                                > > another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
                                > > on one another.
                                > >
                                > > I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
                                > > appendix. ;)
                                > >
                                > > ----------
                                > > Adam Smith
                                > > www.tolkien-online.com
                                > >
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                                >
                              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.