Re: [mythsoc] Re: The Company They Keep-review

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
      In a message dated 11/4/2007 1:32:28 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      lynnmaudlin@... writes:

      My goodness! I'm glad to see the book reviewed but this is the
      weirdest review I've seen yet-- I wonder if the writer actually read
      the book? I guess I don't know much about the Midwest Book Review and
      its purpose, etc., but this feels a bit like damning with faint praise
      to me - except it's not praise, it's more a tiny sample, a
      hodge-podge. It smells like "Henry" skimmed the book, pulled a few
      quotes, and considered that a review. :(

      I think the strangest thing about the review is that the reviewer says that
      the book is "obviously timely given the current interest in these authors as
      evidenced by widely-popular movies made from books of theirs." Right, that's
      what's most important about an author, whether there is a current movie made
      from the author's books.

    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
        The fact that "Henry" mistook J.K. Rowling's middle initial is both
        revelatory and something an editor should've caught.

        My goodness! I'm glad to see the book reviewed but this is the
        weirdest review I've seen yet-- I wonder if the writer actually read
        the book? I guess I don't know much about the Midwest Book Review and
        its purpose, etc., but this feels a bit like damning with faint praise
        to me - except it's not praise, it's more a tiny sample, a
        hodge-podge. It smells like "Henry" skimmed the book, pulled a few
        quotes, and considered that a review. :(

        -- Lynn --

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> .com,

        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
          "In an appendix by a David Bratman"? What does he think I am, a relative of A. Whitney Brown?
        • Merlin DeTardo
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
            >"Mike Foster" <mafoster@...> wrote:
            << The fact that "Henry" mistook J.K. Rowling's middle initial is both
            revelatory and something an editor should've caught. >>

            "J.K. Rowling" + "J.R.R. Tolkien" = "J.R. Rowling"?

            -Merlin DeTardo
          • Lynn Maudlin
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
              Part of a larger collection, perhaps...?! ;> Funny, something about
              that sentence bothered me but I didn't *register* the curious "a".

              > "In an appendix by a David Bratman"? What does he think I am, a
              relative of A. Whitney Brown?

            • Lynn Maudlin
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
                I fear the next logical step is J.K.R. Tolkien... *shudder*

                So glad to know I'm not alone in finding this a very strange review--

                -- Lynn --

                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Merlin DeTardo" <emptyD@...> wrote:

                > >"Mike Foster" <mafoster@> wrote:
                > << The fact that "Henry" mistook J.K. Rowling's middle initial is both
                > revelatory and something an editor should've caught. >>
                >
                > "J.K. Rowling" + "J.R.R. Tolkien" = "J.R. Rowling"?
                >
                > -Merlin DeTardo

              • David Emerson
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
                  >> "J.K. Rowling" + "J.R.R. Tolkien" = "J.R. Rowling"?

                  Or is it a reference to DYNASTY? :-)

                  emerdavid

                  PeoplePC Online
                  A better way to Internet
                  http://www.peoplepc.com
                • Jeremy Edmonds
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
                    Along with what everyone else has said, the website doesn't exist either (at
                    least not from where I am coming from.) Try

                    http://upress.kent.edu/

                    instead.

                    Jeremy

                    --
                    Rown's Books
                    * Tolkien, SF&F and more *
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                      Thanks for sharing the review, Joan. Reads to me as if there's some
                      from the middle missing (the mention of the Apolausticks sounds like
                      it's meant to introduce specific mention of several groups JRRT
                      belonged to, while instead the next paragraph jumps to wrapping the
                      piece up), but it might be that way in the original. Glad the book is
                      getting attention, and that the piece, brief as it is, praises the
                      book (and singles out David's contribution as well). Congratulations,
                      both Diana and David.
                      --JDR

                    • Jason Fisher
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                        > So glad to know I'm not alone in finding this a very strange review

                        At least there is the excellent review (by Andrew Lazo) in the new Mythlore to balance such oddities.

                        Jason
                      • Lynn Maudlin
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                          http://www.midwestbookreview.com/rbw/nov_07.htm#henry

                          It's the 12th review in the "Henry's Bookshelf" section.

                          -- Lynn --

                          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...> wrote:

                          > Along with what everyone else has said, the website doesn't exist
                          either (at
                          > least not from where I am coming from.) Try
                          >
                          > http://upress.kent.edu/
                          >
                          > instead.
                          >
                          > Jeremy

                        • Mike Foster
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                            "A David Bratman"? The appendix was done by "THE David Bratman," o
                            Henry.

                            It's the 12th review in the "Henry's Bookshelf" section.

                            -- Lynn --

                            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> .com,
                            Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...> wrote:

                            > Along with what everyone else has said, the website doesn't exist
                            either (at
                            > least not from where I am coming from.) Try
                            >
                            > http://upress. <http://upress.kent.edu/> kent.edu/
                            >
                            > instead.
                            >
                            > Jeremy

                          • amsmith0903
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                              Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
                              is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
                              Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
                              (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
                              one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
                              seem hastily written.

                              BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
                              fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
                              scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
                              neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
                              another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
                              on one another.

                              I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
                              appendix. ;)

                              ----------
                              Adam Smith
                              www.tolkien-online.com
                            • Lynn Maudlin
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                                You'll enjoy it, Adam - it's a *very* engaging and entertaining,
                                thought-provoking book and I'd rave more except Diana's a friend of
                                mine and people will think I'm just promoting a friend's work. NO! I'm
                                bouncing up and down saying, "This is the best book I've read this
                                year! And I don't care who wrote it."

                                -- Lynn --

                                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "amsmith0903" <amsmith0903@...> wrote:

                                > Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
                                > is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
                                > Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
                                > (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
                                > one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
                                > seem hastily written.
                                >
                                > BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
                                > fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
                                > scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
                                > neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
                                > another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
                                > on one another.
                                >
                                > I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
                                > appendix. ;)
                                >
                                > ----------
                                > Adam Smith
                                > www.tolkien-online.com

                              • Croft, Janet B.
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 7, 2007
                                  Let me chime here in that it's a WONDERFUL book, and not just because it's about the Inklings. The insights on collaborative writing and on influence are also eye-opening, and make me want to go out and co-author things. I wish I'd read her book before some of the recent discussions I've seen on my _Tolkien and Shakespeare_ so I could have been all erudite and articulate when countering people who say "but Tolkien hated Shakespeare, so how could there be any influence?" (which usually leaves me sputtering and gnashing my teeth...)

                                  Janet

                                  ________________________________

                                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com<mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>, "amsmith0903" <amsmith0903@...> wrote:

                                  > Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
                                  > is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
                                  > Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
                                  > (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
                                  > one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
                                  > seem hastily written.
                                  >
                                  > BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
                                  > fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
                                  > scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
                                  > neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
                                  > another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
                                  > on one another.
                                  >
                                  > I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
                                  > appendix. ;)

                                • Lynn Maudlin
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 7, 2007
                                    yes, the examination of what we mean by "influence" and what a narrow
                                    (or simplistic) view we generally take... great stuff!

                                    BTW, Mythlore 100 just arrived yesterday and LOOKS GREAT (and also
                                    contains a review of *The Company They Keep* - accurate and glowing, I
                                    might add) - excellent work, Janet.

                                    -- Lynn --

                                    > Let me chime here in that it's a WONDERFUL book, and not just
                                    because it's about the Inklings. The insights on collaborative
                                    writing and on influence are also eye-opening, and make me want to go
                                    out and co-author things. I wish I'd read her book before some of the
                                    recent discussions I've seen on my _Tolkien and Shakespeare_ so I
                                    could have been all erudite and articulate when countering people who
                                    say "but Tolkien hated Shakespeare, so how could there be any
                                    influence?" (which usually leaves me sputtering and gnashing my teeth...)

                                    > Janet

                                    Behalf Of Lynn Maudlin