The Company They Keep-review

  • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 3, 2007
      From the November 2007 Midwest Book Review (reprinted by permission):

      The Company They Keep - C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien as
      Writers in a Community
      Diana Pavlac Glyer
      Kent State U. Press
      Kent, OH
      9780873388900 $45.00 www.kentstateuniveritypress.com

      The fantasy literature of C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien is so
      imaginative and idiosyncratic that one accepts that they wrote such
      lasting works somewhat obstinately and mainly privately almost as
      a hobby with little hope they would ever be published, much less
      popular. The picture of J. R. Rowling writing the beginnings of the
      first Harry Potter book sitting along at a table in an English shop
      comes to mind with this image of the earlier authors. Lewis and
      Tolkien are known to be good friends as well as professional
      colleagues at Oxford University. But as professor of English at
      Azusa Pacific U. in California Glyer puts forward, Lewis and
      Tolkien were part of a circle of academics and writers who had a
      large, discernible, and often documented influence on their works.

      From diaries, memoirs, letters, and other sources, Glyer finds that
      this influence is most evident with Tolkien. This circle which
      acquired the name "The Inklings," "modeled the behavior of poets
      and storytellers, provided feedback on his drafts, helped him
      develop his own critical faculties, recommended reading material
      that supported and shaped his imagination, and suggested that
      certain pieces be started, reworked, completed, or submitted for
      publication." Glyer continues, "It is no small matter that all of this
      early influence took place within a highly interactive group
      setting." What the author says with respect to Tolkien applies as
      well to Lewis, though not quite so overtly recognizably. In their
      turn, Tolkien and Lewis were active participants in the group
      offering the same support and suggestions to its other members.
      Shortly after arriving at Oxford as a student, Tolkien founded the
      literary society named the "Apolausticks."

      In an appendix by a David Bratman, relevant background on 17
      members of the Inklings besides Tolkien and Lewis is given. Most
      became university professors of English or medieval literature or of
      language studies, with most doing scholarly writings on literary
      criticism. This work of literary criticism and author biography is
      obviously timely given the current interest in these authors as
      evidenced by widely-popular movies made from books of theirs.
    • Lynn Maudlin
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 3, 2007
        My goodness! I'm glad to see the book reviewed but this is the
        weirdest review I've seen yet-- I wonder if the writer actually read
        the book? I guess I don't know much about the Midwest Book Review and
        its purpose, etc., but this feels a bit like damning with faint praise
        to me - except it's not praise, it's more a tiny sample, a
        hodge-podge. It smells like "Henry" skimmed the book, pulled a few
        quotes, and considered that a review. :(

        -- Lynn --

        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
          In a message dated 11/4/2007 1:32:28 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          lynnmaudlin@... writes:

          My goodness! I'm glad to see the book reviewed but this is the
          weirdest review I've seen yet-- I wonder if the writer actually read
          the book? I guess I don't know much about the Midwest Book Review and
          its purpose, etc., but this feels a bit like damning with faint praise
          to me - except it's not praise, it's more a tiny sample, a
          hodge-podge. It smells like "Henry" skimmed the book, pulled a few
          quotes, and considered that a review. :(

          I think the strangest thing about the review is that the reviewer says that
          the book is "obviously timely given the current interest in these authors as
          evidenced by widely-popular movies made from books of theirs." Right, that's
          what's most important about an author, whether there is a current movie made
          from the author's books.

        • Mike Foster
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
            The fact that "Henry" mistook J.K. Rowling's middle initial is both
            revelatory and something an editor should've caught.

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> .com,

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
              "In an appendix by a David Bratman"? What does he think I am, a relative of A. Whitney Brown?
            • Merlin DeTardo
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
                >"Mike Foster" <mafoster@...> wrote:
                << The fact that "Henry" mistook J.K. Rowling's middle initial is both
                revelatory and something an editor should've caught. >>

                "J.K. Rowling" + "J.R.R. Tolkien" = "J.R. Rowling"?

                -Merlin DeTardo
              • Lynn Maudlin
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
                  Part of a larger collection, perhaps...?! ;> Funny, something about
                  that sentence bothered me but I didn't *register* the curious "a".

                  > "In an appendix by a David Bratman"? What does he think I am, a
                  relative of A. Whitney Brown?

                • Lynn Maudlin
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
                    I fear the next logical step is J.K.R. Tolkien... *shudder*

                    So glad to know I'm not alone in finding this a very strange review--

                    -- Lynn --

                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Merlin DeTardo" <emptyD@...> wrote:

                    > >"Mike Foster" <mafoster@> wrote:
                    > << The fact that "Henry" mistook J.K. Rowling's middle initial is both
                    > revelatory and something an editor should've caught. >>
                    >
                    > "J.K. Rowling" + "J.R.R. Tolkien" = "J.R. Rowling"?
                    >
                    > -Merlin DeTardo

                  • David Emerson
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
                      >> "J.K. Rowling" + "J.R.R. Tolkien" = "J.R. Rowling"?

                      Or is it a reference to DYNASTY? :-)

                      emerdavid

                      PeoplePC Online
                      A better way to Internet
                      http://www.peoplepc.com
                    • Jeremy Edmonds
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 4, 2007
                        Along with what everyone else has said, the website doesn't exist either (at
                        least not from where I am coming from.) Try

                        http://upress.kent.edu/

                        instead.

                        Jeremy

                        --
                        Rown's Books
                        * Tolkien, SF&F and more *
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                          Thanks for sharing the review, Joan. Reads to me as if there's some
                          from the middle missing (the mention of the Apolausticks sounds like
                          it's meant to introduce specific mention of several groups JRRT
                          belonged to, while instead the next paragraph jumps to wrapping the
                          piece up), but it might be that way in the original. Glad the book is
                          getting attention, and that the piece, brief as it is, praises the
                          book (and singles out David's contribution as well). Congratulations,
                          both Diana and David.
                          --JDR

                        • Jason Fisher
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                            > So glad to know I'm not alone in finding this a very strange review

                            At least there is the excellent review (by Andrew Lazo) in the new Mythlore to balance such oddities.

                            Jason
                          • Lynn Maudlin
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                              http://www.midwestbookreview.com/rbw/nov_07.htm#henry

                              It's the 12th review in the "Henry's Bookshelf" section.

                              -- Lynn --

                              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...> wrote:

                              > Along with what everyone else has said, the website doesn't exist
                              either (at
                              > least not from where I am coming from.) Try
                              >
                              > http://upress.kent.edu/
                              >
                              > instead.
                              >
                              > Jeremy

                            • Mike Foster
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                                "A David Bratman"? The appendix was done by "THE David Bratman," o
                                Henry.

                                It's the 12th review in the "Henry's Bookshelf" section.

                                -- Lynn --

                                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> .com,
                                Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...> wrote:

                                > Along with what everyone else has said, the website doesn't exist
                                either (at
                                > least not from where I am coming from.) Try
                                >
                                > http://upress. <http://upress.kent.edu/> kent.edu/
                                >
                                > instead.
                                >
                                > Jeremy

                              • amsmith0903
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 5, 2007
                                  Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
                                  is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
                                  Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
                                  (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
                                  one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
                                  seem hastily written.

                                  BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
                                  fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
                                  scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
                                  neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
                                  another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
                                  on one another.

                                  I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
                                  appendix. ;)

                                  ----------
                                  Adam Smith
                                  www.tolkien-online.com
                                • Lynn Maudlin
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 6, 2007
                                    You'll enjoy it, Adam - it's a *very* engaging and entertaining,
                                    thought-provoking book and I'd rave more except Diana's a friend of
                                    mine and people will think I'm just promoting a friend's work. NO! I'm
                                    bouncing up and down saying, "This is the best book I've read this
                                    year! And I don't care who wrote it."

                                    -- Lynn --

                                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "amsmith0903" <amsmith0903@...> wrote:

                                    > Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
                                    > is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
                                    > Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
                                    > (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
                                    > one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
                                    > seem hastily written.
                                    >
                                    > BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
                                    > fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
                                    > scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
                                    > neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
                                    > another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
                                    > on one another.
                                    >
                                    > I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
                                    > appendix. ;)
                                    >
                                    > ----------
                                    > Adam Smith
                                    > www.tolkien-online.com

                                  • Croft, Janet B.
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 7, 2007
                                      Let me chime here in that it's a WONDERFUL book, and not just because it's about the Inklings. The insights on collaborative writing and on influence are also eye-opening, and make me want to go out and co-author things. I wish I'd read her book before some of the recent discussions I've seen on my _Tolkien and Shakespeare_ so I could have been all erudite and articulate when countering people who say "but Tolkien hated Shakespeare, so how could there be any influence?" (which usually leaves me sputtering and gnashing my teeth...)

                                      Janet

                                      ________________________________

                                      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com<mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>, "amsmith0903" <amsmith0903@...> wrote:

                                      > Reading through "Henry's" reviews in the Midwest Book Review, there
                                      > is a definite inconsistency in the length & quality of the reviews.
                                      > Some (mostly novels) are given fairly in-depth reviews. Others
                                      > (mostly non-fiction) receive the "skimmed" treatments similar to the
                                      > one given to 'The Company They Keep'. Even the reviews themselves
                                      > seem hastily written.
                                      >
                                      > BTW...I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but it sounds
                                      > fascinating and I look forward to it in the near future. From a
                                      > scholarship aspect, the Inklings as a whole have been seriously
                                      > neglected, outside of Humphrey Carpenter's book. Its great to see
                                      > another study of these fantastic writers and the influence they had
                                      > on one another.
                                      >
                                      > I'll buy it even if "some David Bratman fellow" wrote the
                                      > appendix. ;)

                                    • Lynn Maudlin
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 7, 2007
                                        yes, the examination of what we mean by "influence" and what a narrow
                                        (or simplistic) view we generally take... great stuff!

                                        BTW, Mythlore 100 just arrived yesterday and LOOKS GREAT (and also
                                        contains a review of *The Company They Keep* - accurate and glowing, I
                                        might add) - excellent work, Janet.

                                        -- Lynn --

                                        > Let me chime here in that it's a WONDERFUL book, and not just
                                        because it's about the Inklings. The insights on collaborative
                                        writing and on influence are also eye-opening, and make me want to go
                                        out and co-author things. I wish I'd read her book before some of the
                                        recent discussions I've seen on my _Tolkien and Shakespeare_ so I
                                        could have been all erudite and articulate when countering people who
                                        say "but Tolkien hated Shakespeare, so how could there be any
                                        influence?" (which usually leaves me sputtering and gnashing my teeth...)

                                        > Janet

                                        Behalf Of Lynn Maudlin