RE: [mythsoc] Age for Hobbit

  • Ginger McElwee
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2007
      Interestingly, I cannot remember when I read The Hobbit for the first time,
      but I know I was in high school. I read LOR immediately afterwards, and
      then reread them many times before I graduated. I didn't discover CS Lewis
      until I was in my mid twenties and was thinking about converting to
      Christianity. An Episcopal priest who knew I loved Tolkien loaned me copies
      of Decent into Hell by Williams and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.
      He apparently knew me well because I loved both books and began reading
      everything I could find by Lewis and Williams.

      Ginger

    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2007
        Since everyone else has chimed in ...

        I was 7 or 8 years old when I first read The Hobbit. I don't remember precisely, but that first paperback, which I believe my mother bought new at the time, was a 1977 printing. Contrast that with the fact that I was, uhhh, 36 when I first read The Chronicles of Narnia. :)

        I don't think there's any particular lower age limit for The Hobbit. Even where the style or language might be beyond a child's current reading comprehension, this represents an opportunity to learn. In fact, I'd probably go so far as to say that kids ought to consistently read *beyond* their prescribed "age level". I always did. At the same age I read The Hobbit, I was also reading The Iliad and The Odyssey, and that did me no harm (and probably a lot of good).

        Jason
      • Sara Ciborski
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 1, 2007
          I will chime in because maybe I win the prize for being the oldest: I
          was 35 when I first read The Hobbit, and I did so only because someone
          gave me the Ballantine four-book paperback box set (The Hobbit + LotR)
          for Christmas--and I wanted to read the books in the right order. If The
          Fellowship of the Rings had not been right at hand, next in the box, I
          might not have gone on, as I thought The Hobbit was good but not great.
          Now after many readings of everything Tolkien wrote it has become a
          beloved re-read. Last year I read it to my eight-year old grandson. He
          wasn't able to fully appreciate the moral subtleties at the end, but
          otherwise thoroughly enjoyed it. My biggest current challenge these days
          as a grandmother is to prevent his seeing the Jackson films before he
          reads LotR (or ever).

          Sara Ciborski

          Jason Fisher wrote:
          > Since everyone else has chimed in ...
          >
          > I was 7 or 8 years old when I first read The Hobbit. I don't remember precisely, but that first paperback, which I believe my mother bought new at the time, was a 1977 printing. Contrast that with the fact that I was, uhhh, 36 when I first read The Chronicles of Narnia. :)
          >
          > I don't think there's any particular lower age limit for The Hobbit. Even where the style or language might be beyond a child's current reading comprehension, this represents an opportunity to learn. In fact, I'd probably go so far as to say that kids ought to consistently read *beyond* their prescribed "age level". I always did. At the same age I read The Hobbit, I was also reading The Iliad and The Odyssey, and that did me no harm (and probably a lot of good).
          >
          > Jason

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • John D Rateliff
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 5, 2007
            Many thanks, Doug, and many thanks for all who said nice things about
            the book here; I really appreciate it. I've been meaning to respond
            to each one but I've been on the road off and on for what a while now
            and it's been hard to get on-line, much less have time to make a well-
            considered response. So let me just say that after having worked on
            it for so long, it's good to have it out there, and actually have
            people reading it. I'm looking forward to hearing from folks what
            they think about specific bits in it; please let me know what parts
            you found interesting, what you agreed with and what you didn't, what
            you'd most want to know that I didn't cover, &c.
            By the way, it looks like I'm going to be able to add the missing
            appendix to the trade paperback edition due out next year in England:
            I had Appendix V drafted but had to abandon it in order to get the
            index done in time. It's a listing of the people Tolkien sent his
            author's copies of THE HOBBIT to. Not something whose absence leaves
            a gaping hole, but it's nice to be able to include it; wraps things
            up nicely.
            Thanks again to Doug and all.
            --John R.