Re: [mythsoc] Harry online

  • LSolarion@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 15, 2000
      << The prize went
      to Postcards From No Man's Land by Aidan Chambers, a book which deals with
      real-life issues such as adultery, euthanasia and homosexuality.

      And some people are concernewd about *Harry's* influence! And what's so great
      about "real life issues" as reading matter anyway? Can't we deal with them in
      "real life" (which is what you're stuck with when you're not reading)? Sounds
      like the old "escapist" jibe thrown at anyone reading anything imaginative. I
      love Tolkien's response to that one: who are the people most concerned with
      escapees? Jailers!

      And who says the Potter books don't deal with "real life" issues? They
      wouldn't be so popular if real life people didn't identify with them.
      Steve (bemusedly annoyed)