Re: Smith of Wootton Major as beloved book of childhood

  • Vincent Ferré
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 25, 2007
      and do not forget Gandalf, in The Lord..., according to his depiction by
      Tolkien :

      "Though he may seem testy at times, has a sense of humour, and adopts a
      somewhat avuncular attitude to hobbits, he is a person of high and noble
      authority, and great dignity. The description on I p. 239 should never be
      forgotten"
      (Letters #210)

      Vincent

      I thought it was MacDonald's grand-fatherly "uncular" stance that earned
      Tolkien's distaste, and that Tolkien saw some of this in his own writing in
      _The Hobbit_, detesting it all the more. But where I read that, I can't
      remember.