Benadictine Elves

  • Keith Sutherland
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2007
      I am new to this list, but would appreciate any input
      that the list members have on this subject. I am in a
      debate with my wife over the validity of Benedictine
      monks as a model for elves. I have only read published
      works, including letters by Carpenter, but have found
      no proof that Tolkien modeled the elves after monks.
      Criticism and speculation are wonderful, they stir the
      intellectual juices mightily, but Tolkien wrote quite
      a bit on his sources and never mentioned monks, as
      far as I can remember. I am open to criticism.

      http://mail.yahoo.com