History of the Hobbit

  • Cathy Akers-Jordan
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 16, 2007
      It's on Amazon, too (and at the top of my Christmas wish list)!

      http://www.amazon.com/History-Hobbit-John-D-Rateliff/dp/0618964401/ref=s\
      r_1_1/102-4588528-6192148?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192539022&sr=1-1

      Cathy

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Joy Baker" <dbaker021@...> wrote:

      > I just saw *Mr. Baggins* and *Return to Bag End* under the rubric
      title *History of the Hobbit* at a local Barnes and Noble. Your name on
      the cover. (Or it looked like it!) Congratulations!

      Benedictines.
      > --John R.
      > (sorry to be slow in responding, but I've been away in the Midwest
      > and am just starting to play catch-up on my email)

    • Jef Murray
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 16, 2007
        John,

        I am reasonably sure that my comments about
        Tolkien's elves being modeled, in part, after the
        Benedictines was mentioned by Professor Bradley J.
        Birzer in his "J. R. R. Tolkien’s Sanctifying Myth:
        Understanding Middle-earth". In that book, as I
        recall, Prof. Birzer suggests that the Benedictines
        provided a model for the elves that would have been
        very familiar to Tolkien, and that the liturgical
        chanting of the Benedictines may have served as a
        model for the prominently-featured singing of the
        elves.

        I don't recollect without the book in my hands
        whether or not his comments were derived from JRRT's
        letters, but I should be able to find out. Will see
        about coming up with a page reference for you....

        Jef

        Mystical Realms - Exploring the boundaries between worlds.....
        http://www.JefMurray.com
      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 17, 2007
          Thanks Jef; knowing it was in the Birzer book --which I have but have
          not yet read-- is enough; I'll slip a note into the book reminding me
          of the fact and be on the lookout for it when I do get around to
          reading it.
          Again, thanks for the follow-up. It's an interesting idea, and I
          want to see how good a case Prof. Birzer makes for it.
          --John R.

          On Oct 16, 2007, at 7:01 AM, Jef Murray wrote:

          > John,
          >
          > I am reasonably sure that my comments about
          > Tolkien's elves being modeled, in part, after the
          > Benedictines was mentioned by Professor Bradley J.
          > Birzer in his "J. R. R. Tolkien’s Sanctifying Myth:
          > Understanding Middle-earth". In that book, as I
          > recall, Prof. Birzer suggests that the Benedictines
          > provided a model for the elves that would have been
          > very familiar to Tolkien, and that the liturgical
          > chanting of the Benedictines may have served as a
          > model for the prominently-featured singing of the
          > elves.
          >
          > I don't recollect without the book in my hands
          > whether or not his comments were derived from JRRT's
          > letters, but I should be able to find out. Will see
          > about coming up with a page reference for you....
          >
          > Jef

          > Mystical Realms - Exploring the boundaries between worlds.....
          > http://www.JefMurray.com

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Keith Sutherland
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 17, 2007
            My wife noticed your posts and we are currently having
            a debate about the subject. My wife thanks you also.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Lynn Maudlin
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 19, 2007
              John, you just gave me a useful glimpse into how a scholar might stay
              on top of the massive pile of books that swarm at his feet... slipping
              a note inside, reminding you to look for a certain passage or element.
              I slap my own forehead and say, "Doh!"

              -- Lynn --

              > Thanks Jef; knowing it was in the Birzer book --which I have but have
              > not yet read-- is enough; I'll slip a note into the book reminding me
              > of the fact and be on the lookout for it when I do get around to
              > reading it.
              > Again, thanks for the follow-up. It's an interesting idea, and I
              > want to see how good a case Prof. Birzer makes for it.
              > --John R.
              >
              > On Oct 16, 2007, at 7:01 AM, Jef Murray wrote:
              >
              > > John,
              > >
              > > I am reasonably sure that my comments about
              > > Tolkien's elves being modeled, in part, after the
              > > Benedictines was mentioned by Professor Bradley J.
              > > Birzer in his "J. R. R. Tolkien's Sanctifying Myth:
              > > Understanding Middle-earth". In that book, as I
              > > recall, Prof. Birzer suggests that the Benedictines
              > > provided a model for the elves that would have been
              > > very familiar to Tolkien, and that the liturgical
              > > chanting of the Benedictines may have served as a
              > > model for the prominently-featured singing of the
              > > elves.
              > >
              > > I don't recollect without the book in my hands
              > > whether or not his comments were derived from JRRT's
              > > letters, but I should be able to find out. Will see
              > > about coming up with a page reference for you....
              > >
              > > Jef

              > > Mystical Realms - Exploring the boundaries between worlds.....
              > > http://www.JefMurray.com

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Anthony and Jessica
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 20, 2007
                Anyone else, perhaps John, seen this box set? Actually just the
                edition that comes with the two history volumes? I have it here and am
                rereading The Hobbit, as the art and contents of John's volumes have
                inspired me to do so and will review it a bit with the vols, but two
                glaring errors have appeared--not entirely that bad but noticeable to
                those paying attention:

                1) It states that the text of this edition is based on the 1995 Harper
                Collins publication. On page 20 Thorin pulls out the map to show
                everyone, and the usual paranthetical(sp?) reference
                (Look at the map in this chapter, and you will see there the runes in
                red)
                As we know from Doug Anderson's Annotated Hobbit this line has been
                changed numerous times over the years to reflect the edition--it has
                been glossed over for this one,--the map in no in the chapter but on
                the inside covers, which are beautifully rendered but not in the
                chapter as stated.

                2) In the Barrels out of Bond Chapter on facing page 172 is the "Bilbo
                comes to the Huts of the Raft elves" color illustration plate--my copy
                has two of the same page--now this may be a glitch in binding and may
                be unique to my copy but I am curious if others have seen this.

                So that's all I got right now but am curious to thoughts...

                Anthony

                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Cathy Akers-Jordan" <melisande@...>
                wrote:

                > It's on Amazon, too (and at the top of my Christmas wish list)!

                http://www.amazon.com/History-Hobbit-John-D-Rateliff/dp/0618964401/ref=s\
                > r_1_1/102-4588528-6192148?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192539022&sr=1-1
                >
                > Cathy
                >
                > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Joy Baker" <dbaker021@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I just saw *Mr. Baggins* and *Return to Bag End* under the rubric
                > title *History of the Hobbit* at a local Barnes and Noble. Your name on
                > the cover. (Or it looked like it!) Congratulations!

              • Jack
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 20, 2007
                  >As we know from Doug Anderson's Annotated Hobbit this line has been
                  >changed numerous times over the years to reflect the edition--it has
                  >been glossed over for this one,--the map in no in the chapter but on
                  >the inside covers, which are beautifully rendered but not in the
                  >chapter as stated.

                  Correct. In the UK edition I have, there iis no map as well.

                  >2) In the Barrels out of Bond Chapter on facing page 172 is the "Bilbo
                  >comes to the Huts of the Raft elves" color illustration plate--my copy
                  >has two of the same page--now this may be a glitch in binding and may
                  >be unique to my copy but I am curious if others have seen this.

                  Not so in the UK edition.