Re: [mythsoc] Mystical Realms Newsletter for October, 2007

  • Diane Joy Baker
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 15, 2007
      I just saw *Mr. Baggins* and *Return to Bag End* under the rubric title *History of the Hobbit* at a local Barnes and Noble. Your name on the cover. (Or it looked like it!) Congratulations!

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 16, 2007
        It's on Amazon, too (and at the top of my Christmas wish list)!

        http://www.amazon.com/History-Hobbit-John-D-Rateliff/dp/0618964401/ref=s\
        r_1_1/102-4588528-6192148?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192539022&sr=1-1

        Cathy

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Joy Baker" <dbaker021@...> wrote:

        > I just saw *Mr. Baggins* and *Return to Bag End* under the rubric
        title *History of the Hobbit* at a local Barnes and Noble. Your name on
        the cover. (Or it looked like it!) Congratulations!

      • Jef Murray
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 16, 2007
          John,

          I am reasonably sure that my comments about
          Tolkien's elves being modeled, in part, after the
          Benedictines was mentioned by Professor Bradley J.
          Birzer in his "J. R. R. Tolkien’s Sanctifying Myth:
          Understanding Middle-earth". In that book, as I
          recall, Prof. Birzer suggests that the Benedictines
          provided a model for the elves that would have been
          very familiar to Tolkien, and that the liturgical
          chanting of the Benedictines may have served as a
          model for the prominently-featured singing of the
          elves.

          I don't recollect without the book in my hands
          whether or not his comments were derived from JRRT's
          letters, but I should be able to find out. Will see
          about coming up with a page reference for you....

          Jef

          Mystical Realms - Exploring the boundaries between worlds.....
          http://www.JefMurray.com
        • John D Rateliff
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 17, 2007
            Thanks Jef; knowing it was in the Birzer book --which I have but have
            not yet read-- is enough; I'll slip a note into the book reminding me
            of the fact and be on the lookout for it when I do get around to
            reading it.
            Again, thanks for the follow-up. It's an interesting idea, and I
            want to see how good a case Prof. Birzer makes for it.
            --John R.

            On Oct 16, 2007, at 7:01 AM, Jef Murray wrote:

            > John,
            >
            > I am reasonably sure that my comments about
            > Tolkien's elves being modeled, in part, after the
            > Benedictines was mentioned by Professor Bradley J.
            > Birzer in his "J. R. R. Tolkien’s Sanctifying Myth:
            > Understanding Middle-earth". In that book, as I
            > recall, Prof. Birzer suggests that the Benedictines
            > provided a model for the elves that would have been
            > very familiar to Tolkien, and that the liturgical
            > chanting of the Benedictines may have served as a
            > model for the prominently-featured singing of the
            > elves.
            >
            > I don't recollect without the book in my hands
            > whether or not his comments were derived from JRRT's
            > letters, but I should be able to find out. Will see
            > about coming up with a page reference for you....
            >
            > Jef

            > Mystical Realms - Exploring the boundaries between worlds.....
            > http://www.JefMurray.com

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Keith Sutherland
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 17, 2007
              My wife noticed your posts and we are currently having
              a debate about the subject. My wife thanks you also.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Lynn Maudlin
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 19, 2007
                John, you just gave me a useful glimpse into how a scholar might stay
                on top of the massive pile of books that swarm at his feet... slipping
                a note inside, reminding you to look for a certain passage or element.
                I slap my own forehead and say, "Doh!"

                -- Lynn --

                > Thanks Jef; knowing it was in the Birzer book --which I have but have
                > not yet read-- is enough; I'll slip a note into the book reminding me
                > of the fact and be on the lookout for it when I do get around to
                > reading it.
                > Again, thanks for the follow-up. It's an interesting idea, and I
                > want to see how good a case Prof. Birzer makes for it.
                > --John R.
                >
                > On Oct 16, 2007, at 7:01 AM, Jef Murray wrote:
                >
                > > John,
                > >
                > > I am reasonably sure that my comments about
                > > Tolkien's elves being modeled, in part, after the
                > > Benedictines was mentioned by Professor Bradley J.
                > > Birzer in his "J. R. R. Tolkien's Sanctifying Myth:
                > > Understanding Middle-earth". In that book, as I
                > > recall, Prof. Birzer suggests that the Benedictines
                > > provided a model for the elves that would have been
                > > very familiar to Tolkien, and that the liturgical
                > > chanting of the Benedictines may have served as a
                > > model for the prominently-featured singing of the
                > > elves.
                > >
                > > I don't recollect without the book in my hands
                > > whether or not his comments were derived from JRRT's
                > > letters, but I should be able to find out. Will see
                > > about coming up with a page reference for you....
                > >
                > > Jef

                > > Mystical Realms - Exploring the boundaries between worlds.....
                > > http://www.JefMurray.com

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Anthony and Jessica
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 20, 2007
                  Anyone else, perhaps John, seen this box set? Actually just the
                  edition that comes with the two history volumes? I have it here and am
                  rereading The Hobbit, as the art and contents of John's volumes have
                  inspired me to do so and will review it a bit with the vols, but two
                  glaring errors have appeared--not entirely that bad but noticeable to
                  those paying attention:

                  1) It states that the text of this edition is based on the 1995 Harper
                  Collins publication. On page 20 Thorin pulls out the map to show
                  everyone, and the usual paranthetical(sp?) reference
                  (Look at the map in this chapter, and you will see there the runes in
                  red)
                  As we know from Doug Anderson's Annotated Hobbit this line has been
                  changed numerous times over the years to reflect the edition--it has
                  been glossed over for this one,--the map in no in the chapter but on
                  the inside covers, which are beautifully rendered but not in the
                  chapter as stated.

                  2) In the Barrels out of Bond Chapter on facing page 172 is the "Bilbo
                  comes to the Huts of the Raft elves" color illustration plate--my copy
                  has two of the same page--now this may be a glitch in binding and may
                  be unique to my copy but I am curious if others have seen this.

                  So that's all I got right now but am curious to thoughts...

                  Anthony

                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Cathy Akers-Jordan" <melisande@...>
                  wrote:

                  > It's on Amazon, too (and at the top of my Christmas wish list)!

                  http://www.amazon.com/History-Hobbit-John-D-Rateliff/dp/0618964401/ref=s\
                  > r_1_1/102-4588528-6192148?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192539022&sr=1-1
                  >
                  > Cathy
                  >
                  > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Joy Baker" <dbaker021@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I just saw *Mr. Baggins* and *Return to Bag End* under the rubric
                  > title *History of the Hobbit* at a local Barnes and Noble. Your name on
                  > the cover. (Or it looked like it!) Congratulations!

                • Jack
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 20, 2007
                    >As we know from Doug Anderson's Annotated Hobbit this line has been
                    >changed numerous times over the years to reflect the edition--it has
                    >been glossed over for this one,--the map in no in the chapter but on
                    >the inside covers, which are beautifully rendered but not in the
                    >chapter as stated.

                    Correct. In the UK edition I have, there iis no map as well.

                    >2) In the Barrels out of Bond Chapter on facing page 172 is the "Bilbo
                    >comes to the Huts of the Raft elves" color illustration plate--my copy
                    >has two of the same page--now this may be a glitch in binding and may
                    >be unique to my copy but I am curious if others have seen this.

                    Not so in the UK edition.