Re: [mythsoc] Article on John. D. Rateliff at Marquette

  • mailbox@hughes.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 10, 2007
      Jo and I drove up from Metamora to Milwaukee to attend this. John was eloquent & witty & erudite & his talk was very well-received. About 90 attended, Matt Blessing indicated. It was like a homeoming reunion in the Archives: besides John & Janice, Chuck Elston, Chris Mitchell, Jan and Jeff Long, Richard West, Bruce Leonard, Dave Hoose, Joe Kraemer, and other Tolkien folks turned up. Matt arranged a convivial innmoot at John Hawks Pub for . A splendid time as guaranteed for all.

      Mike

    • Anthony and Jessica
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 10, 2007
        I had heard of this through Mike Foster and the wonderful post talk
        get together as he mentions, a nice article for those who could not
        attend, but I had to laugh at the 1st line of the article:

        Middle Earth came to Raynor Library Thursday with a lecture on J.R.R.
        Tolkien by Tolkein historian John D. Rateliff.

        Can anyone guess the cause of the chuckle?

        Thanks nonetheless Jeremy for providing the link...:-)
        Anthony

        http://media.www.marquettetribune.org/media/storage/paper1130/news/2007/10/09/News/Middle.Earth.Meets.Marquette.Tolkien.Historian.Lectures.On.Campus-3016111.shtml

      • mailbox@hughes.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 10, 2007
          "E before I except after K," to paraphrase the old grade-school teachers' spelling rubric "I before E except after C", one of their weirder ones.

          Get it?

          Mike

        • Croft, Janet B.
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 11, 2007
            They hedged their bets by trying two spellings of Tolkien?

            Also should be Middle-earth, but that's comparatively minor!

            Janet

            ________________________________

            http://media.www.marquettetribune.org/media/storage/paper1130/news/2007/10/09/News/Middle.Earth.Meets.Marquette.Tolkien.Historian.Lectures.On.Campus-3016111.shtml <http://media.www.marquettetribune.org/media/storage/paper1130/news/2007/10/09/News/Middle.Earth.Meets.Marquette.Tolkien.Historian.Lectures.On.Campus-3016111.shtml>

            > the tinyurl below just points to the same link if your browser has
            trouble with
            > it
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/22vz2a <http://tinyurl.com/22vz2a>
            >
            > Jeremy

          • Cathy Akers-Jordan
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 13, 2007
              They can't spell Tolkien but used the word "alumnus's" correctly.

              Cathy