Re: Terri Windling, Charles De Lint

  • FrMacKen@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 15, 1999
      To Anyone who Is Interested;
      I have read The Little Country by DeLint, and found it to be a great
      read.
      My favourites would include
      1. The Lord of The Rings (of course)
      2. Thomas The Rhymer -Ellen Kushner
      3. The Pendragon Cycle (Taliesin, Merlin, Arthur) by Stephen Lawhead
      (Fresh blending of the Arthurian Legends with the ancient Welsh
      Mabinogion and the Atlantis myth)
      4.Merlin's Booke- An anthology by Jane Yolen
      5. The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror (the Fourth Annual Collection)
      This is the best of all the series. I can't say enough for this series. So
      much heart and soul goes into this anthology. In a field choked with many
      Tolkien-esque rip-offs, this proves that there are shining examples in the
      fantasy genre. Many kudos to Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling. And while I am
      on my soapbox, I would like to say that Jane Yolen is the most eloquent
      fantasy author of our time. Tolkien was a genius, but Yolen is, at least in
      my mind, heir apparent. Pick up one of her stories, and see what I mean. Her
      stlye is not as grand as Tolkien's, but she is no less effective.
      6. The Wizard of Earthsea - Ursula LeGuin
      These are just some of my favourite books.
      Why didn't Ralph Bashki ever finish the animated film of The Lord of
      the Rings? Although key scenes were written out, and lines spoken by wrong
      characters, I still think it was a worthy project. I am alone in this matter?
      Thank you,
      Ron
    • Cat Eldridge
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 16, 1999
        We have a goodly number of reviews on the Folk Tales website
        <<http://www.folk-tales.com> of books by Charles de Lint, and a number
        of reviews for collections done by Terri Windling. There's even a
        review of her first novel The Wood Wife.
        focus on books, music, and other good things of a folk nature. Our
        focus is primarily folk music from Celtic trad such as Alasdair Fraser
        to more folk rockier groups like Moving Hearts and Taxi Chain, fiction
        of a related nature such as the wonderful novels of Charles de Lint,
        and non-fiction books (mostly folklore and music related) related to
        these subjects as our readers are interested in all of these subjects.
        Of course, we will cover other subjects: concert reviews, upcoming
        major festivals, author profiles, even in depth profiles of performers
        grace our website.</color></fontfamily>)

        Cat Eldridge, publisher of Folk Tales