Re: [mythsoc] Mythies on the radio

  • Walter Padgett
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2007
      I'd be very interested in listening in, but the station's website doesn't
      seem to offer any streaming of programs, archives or anything like that. Is
      there going to be any recording of the interview?

      BTW, I think John Rateliff is going to be giving his conference at Marquette
      tomorrow:

      On October 4, 2007, 4:00 p.m. there will be a conference by John D.
      Rateliff as part of the 50th anniversary celebration: "'A Kind of
      Elvish Craft': Tolkien as Literary Craftsman", at Raynor Library's
      Conference Center.

      http://www.marquette.edu/library/information/news/2007/Rateliff.html

      Looks like your discussions will be taking place all at about the same time.

      Good luck!

      Walter

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 5, 2007
        The radio interview yesterday went well, I think. We talked about the
        reasons for LOTR's continuing popularity, particularly its moral
        imperatives, something lacking in many adventure fantasies - of particular
        importance, I think, is the urgent concern of the heroes not to do evil in
        the name of good.

        The station kept the whole broadcast on tape, they told us, and I'll be
        picking up a CD copy later on. Then we can decide what to do with it, if
        anything. Cast it into the River Anduin and let it roll down to the Sea
        where it may rest until the End, possibly.
      • Walter Padgett
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 5, 2007
          Hey!

          I'm glad you'll be getting a recording. I, for one, would love to hear it.

          Walter

          On 10/5/07, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:

          > The radio interview yesterday went well, I think. We talked about the
          > reasons for LOTR's continuing popularity, particularly its moral
          > imperatives, something lacking in many adventure fantasies - of particular
          > importance, I think, is the urgent concern of the heroes not to do evil in
          > the name of good.
          >
          > The station kept the whole broadcast on tape, they told us, and I'll be
          > picking up a CD copy later on. Then we can decide what to do with it, if
          > anything. Cast it into the River Anduin and let it roll down to the Sea
          > where it may rest until the End, possibly.

        • Lynn Maudlin
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 5, 2007
            me too--

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Walter Padgett" <wpadgett@...> wrote:

            > Hey!
            >
            > I'm glad you'll be getting a recording. I, for one, would love to
            hear it.

            > Walter
            >

            > On 10/5/07, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > The radio interview yesterday went well, I think. We talked
            about the
            > > reasons for LOTR's continuing popularity, particularly its moral
            > > imperatives, something lacking in many adventure fantasies - of
            particular
            > > importance, I think, is the urgent concern of the heroes not to do
            evil in
            > > the name of good.
            > >
            > > The station kept the whole broadcast on tape, they told us, and
            I'll be
            > > picking up a CD copy later on. Then we can decide what to do with
            it, if
            > > anything. Cast it into the River Anduin and let it roll down to
            the Sea
            > > where it may rest until the End, possibly.

          • Linda DeMars
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 5, 2007
              And me.

              Linda C. DeMars

              On 10/5/07, Lynn Maudlin <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:

              > me too--
              >
              > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>, "Walter
              > Padgett" <wpadgett@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hey!
              > >
              > > I'm glad you'll be getting a recording. I, for one, would love to
              > hear it.
              > >
              > > Walter
              > >

              > > On 10/5/07, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > The radio interview yesterday went well, I think. We talked
              > about the
              > > > reasons for LOTR's continuing popularity, particularly its moral
              > > > imperatives, something lacking in many adventure fantasies - of
              > particular
              > > > importance, I think, is the urgent concern of the heroes not to do
              > evil in
              > > > the name of good.
              > > >
              > > > The station kept the whole broadcast on tape, they told us, and
              > I'll be
              > > > picking up a CD copy later on. Then we can decide what to do with
              > it, if
              > > > anything. Cast it into the River Anduin and let it roll down to
              > the Sea
              > > > where it may rest until the End, possibly.

            • Berni Phillips
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 5, 2007
                And, hey, your wife would like to hear it, too!

                >> > I'm glad you'll be getting a recording. I, for one, would love to
                >> hear it.
                >> >
                >> > Walter

                >> about the
                >> particular