Mythies on the radio

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2007
      Assuming that all is unchanged from what I was told last month, Edith Crowe and I, as representatives of the Mythopoeic Society, will be interviewed tomorrow on the radio. Topic, of course, is Tolkien and the Inklings. Larry Grant on KKUP, noon-3 PM Thursday. There'll be lots to talk about. Anyone within the tiny reception area of 91.5 FM in Cupertino, California, is welcome to listen.
    • Walter Padgett
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2007
        I'd be very interested in listening in, but the station's website doesn't
        seem to offer any streaming of programs, archives or anything like that. Is
        there going to be any recording of the interview?

        BTW, I think John Rateliff is going to be giving his conference at Marquette
        tomorrow:

        On October 4, 2007, 4:00 p.m. there will be a conference by John D.
        Rateliff as part of the 50th anniversary celebration: "'A Kind of
        Elvish Craft': Tolkien as Literary Craftsman", at Raynor Library's
        Conference Center.

        http://www.marquette.edu/library/information/news/2007/Rateliff.html

        Looks like your discussions will be taking place all at about the same time.

        Good luck!

        Walter

        On 10/3/07, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:

        > Assuming that all is unchanged from what I was told last month, Edith
        > Crowe and I, as representatives of the Mythopoeic Society, will be
        > interviewed tomorrow on the radio. Topic, of course, is Tolkien and the
        > Inklings. Larry Grant on KKUP, noon-3 PM Thursday. There'll be lots to talk
        > about. Anyone within the tiny reception area of 91.5 FM in Cupertino,
        > California, is welcome to listen.

      • Lynn Maudlin
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2007
          oooh, coolness! Do they offer streaming?

          -- Lynn --

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 5, 2007
            The radio interview yesterday went well, I think. We talked about the
            reasons for LOTR's continuing popularity, particularly its moral
            imperatives, something lacking in many adventure fantasies - of particular
            importance, I think, is the urgent concern of the heroes not to do evil in
            the name of good.

            The station kept the whole broadcast on tape, they told us, and I'll be
            picking up a CD copy later on. Then we can decide what to do with it, if
            anything. Cast it into the River Anduin and let it roll down to the Sea
            where it may rest until the End, possibly.
          • Walter Padgett
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 5, 2007
              Hey!

              I'm glad you'll be getting a recording. I, for one, would love to hear it.

              Walter

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 5, 2007
                me too--

                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Walter Padgett" <wpadgett@...> wrote:

                > Hey!
                >
                > I'm glad you'll be getting a recording. I, for one, would love to
                hear it.

                > Walter
                >

                > On 10/5/07, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > The radio interview yesterday went well, I think. We talked
                about the
                > > reasons for LOTR's continuing popularity, particularly its moral
                > > imperatives, something lacking in many adventure fantasies - of
                particular
                > > importance, I think, is the urgent concern of the heroes not to do
                evil in
                > > the name of good.
                > >
                > > The station kept the whole broadcast on tape, they told us, and
                I'll be
                > > picking up a CD copy later on. Then we can decide what to do with
                it, if
                > > anything. Cast it into the River Anduin and let it roll down to
                the Sea
                > > where it may rest until the End, possibly.

              • Linda DeMars
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 5, 2007
                  And me.

                  Linda C. DeMars

                  On 10/5/07, Lynn Maudlin <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:

                  > me too--
                  >
                  > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>, "Walter
                  > Padgett" <wpadgett@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hey!
                  > >
                  > > I'm glad you'll be getting a recording. I, for one, would love to
                  > hear it.
                  > >
                  > > Walter
                  > >

                  > > On 10/5/07, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > The radio interview yesterday went well, I think. We talked
                  > about the
                  > > > reasons for LOTR's continuing popularity, particularly its moral
                  > > > imperatives, something lacking in many adventure fantasies - of
                  > particular
                  > > > importance, I think, is the urgent concern of the heroes not to do
                  > evil in
                  > > > the name of good.
                  > > >
                  > > > The station kept the whole broadcast on tape, they told us, and
                  > I'll be
                  > > > picking up a CD copy later on. Then we can decide what to do with
                  > it, if
                  > > > anything. Cast it into the River Anduin and let it roll down to
                  > the Sea
                  > > > where it may rest until the End, possibly.

                • Berni Phillips
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 5, 2007
                    And, hey, your wife would like to hear it, too!

                    >> > I'm glad you'll be getting a recording. I, for one, would love to
                    >> hear it.
                    >> >
                    >> > Walter

                    >> about the
                    >> particular