Re: [mythsoc] Re: Charles de Lint

  • Jack
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 27, 2007
      >Whether or not you really enjoy the Newford novels depends on whether you like the kind of Bohemian, folk-music-club social set that is his consistent focus. I find I've gotten a little tired of these people over the years, but others may have a different reaction.

      Errr... Some of the Newford novels really aren't at all about the 'Bohemian, folk-music-club social set', i.e. Forests of the Heart which is brilliant in both its use of multiple mythologies and its story.
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 27, 2007
        At 03:40 PM 9/27/2007 -0400, alexeik@... wrote:

        >I think De Lint's best book by far is _The Little Country_

        As far as my de Lint experience goes I would certainly agree. It's a
        subtle book with two interweaving stories that goes beyond pushing the
        usual de Lint buttons, though it does that too.
      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 27, 2007
          As others have said, JACK THE GIANT KILLER is pleasant enough fluff,
          one of the best in the (admittedly uneven) Windling 'Fairy Tales'
          series. The sequel, DRINK DOWN THE MOON, is not quite as good but
          still readable. Stay away from GREENMANTLE, which is a real dud. I
          wasn't able to make myself read THE LITTLE COUNTRY; perhaps I shd
          give it another try.
          Has anyone read his newest book, LITTLE (GRRL) LOST?
          --JDR
        • Cathy Akers-Jordan
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 28, 2007
            Thank you to everyone who posted about Charles de Lint! Now I have a
            few titles to look for. :)

            Cathy
          • alexeik@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 29, 2007
              Errr... Some of the Newford novels really aren't at all about the 'Bohemian, folk-music-club social set', i.e. Forests of the Heart which is brilliant in both its use of multiple mythologies and its story.

              _._,___

              <<
              Just to show how individual reactions can vary, even though I liked some aspects of the story, I wasn't at all impressed with its "use of multiple mythologies". I felt it tended to reduce all of them to a rather shallow, New Agey common denominator. I was also annoyed by the facile ethnic stereotyping. In my opinion, when De Lint tries to cover so many disparate themes at once he loses his focus, and the story turns out much weaker than one could expect. I far preferred _Someplace to Be Flying_, where the "multiple mythologies" are limited to contrasting Old World and New World versions of the same archetypes (eg, Coyote vs. Reynard the Fox), which gives space to explore them at far greater depth.
              Alexei

            • Diane Joy Baker
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 1, 2007
                Wait 'til you read *Memory and Dream.* That's my fave de Lint. ---djb