Re: Charles de Lint

  • MrHaggard
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 27, 2007
      Lisa,

      Thanks for the review some of these titles I've never heard of.

      Mrhaggard

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Padol <lpadol@...> wrote:

      > I liked Moonheart, though I had a nit-pick problem with Spiritwalk
      (a
      > character described as being taller than another character in the
      first
      > is described as being almost as tall in the second).
      >
      > Jack the Giant Killer and Drink Down the Moon are popcorn reads,
      but
      > darned fine popcorn. When I read them, I thought, "Ah, this is what
      > White Wolf was trying to achieve with its [1st and 2nd edition]
      > roleplaying game _Changeling_. White Wolf didn't succeed."
      >
      > I had some nits with Trader, but overall liked it. I really liked
      > Someplace to Be Flying, and I think that's my favorite of de
      Lint's to
      > date.
      >
      > I didn't like Forests of the Heart as much, but there was one
      lovely
      > subtle bit I really liked.
      >
      > I enjoyed Mulengro, but don't remember a heck of a lot of details.
      >
      > I mostly enjoyed Memory and Dream, but thought that the rhetoric
      > demanded a different ending, even though de Lint played absolutely
      fair
      > and foreshadowed a key point.
      >
      > A lot of de Lint's stuff is set in the same imaginary town, and
      for me,
      > this starts to build a problem, as too much magical weird stuff
      goes on
      > after a while. I really hated Spirits in the Wires, for just that
      > reason.
      >
      > His short fiction leaves me dissatisfied most of the time. I'm not
      sure
      > why.
      >
      > I did not care for The Onion Girl, but I think if I'd read it
      without
      > having read several other de Lint books with the same characters
      first,
      > I'd have liked it better.
      >
      > I'm mixed about Widdershins. I don't like a lot of the answers de
      Lint

      _______________
      > Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's
      updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.

    • Jack
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 27, 2007
        We did an entire edition on Charles de Lint

        greenmanreview.com/oneoffs/charlesdelint.html
      • alexeik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 27, 2007
          I liked Moonheart, though I had a nit-pick problem with Spiritwalk (a
          character described as being taller than another character in the first
          is described as being almost as tall in the second).

          Jack the Giant Killer and Drink Down the Moon are popcorn reads, but
          darned fine popcorn. When I read them, I thought, "Ah, this is what
          White Wolf was trying to achieve with its [1st and 2nd edition]
          roleplaying game _Changeling_. White Wolf didn't succeed."

          I had some nits with Trader, but overall liked it. I really liked
          Someplace to Be Flying, and I think that's my favorite of de Lint's to
          date.

          <<

          I think De Lint's best book by far is _The Little Country_, although (perhaps because it's untypically set in Cornwall rather than in his more familiar Newford setting) it isn't as well known as some of his others. _Someplace to Be Flying_ would be my second favourite. _Moonheart_ is a relatively early work which initially gained him a lot of renown but which (in my opinion) has paled in comparison with some of his later achievements.
          ?? Whether or not you really enjoy the Newford novels depends on whether you like the kind of Bohemian, folk-music-club social set that is his consistent focus. I find I've gotten a little tired of these people over the years, but others may have a different reaction.
          Alexei

          RECENT ACTIVITY

          1

          New Members

          Visit Your Group

          Yahoo! News

          Get it all here

          Breaking news to

          entertainment news

          Drive Traffic

          Sponsored Search

          can help increase

          your site traffic.

          Cat Groups

          on Yahoo! Groups

          discuss everything

          related to cats.

          .

        • Jack
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 27, 2007
            >Whether or not you really enjoy the Newford novels depends on whether you like the kind of Bohemian, folk-music-club social set that is his consistent focus. I find I've gotten a little tired of these people over the years, but others may have a different reaction.

            Errr... Some of the Newford novels really aren't at all about the 'Bohemian, folk-music-club social set', i.e. Forests of the Heart which is brilliant in both its use of multiple mythologies and its story.
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 27, 2007
              At 03:40 PM 9/27/2007 -0400, alexeik@... wrote:

              >I think De Lint's best book by far is _The Little Country_

              As far as my de Lint experience goes I would certainly agree. It's a
              subtle book with two interweaving stories that goes beyond pushing the
              usual de Lint buttons, though it does that too.
            • John D Rateliff
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 27, 2007
                As others have said, JACK THE GIANT KILLER is pleasant enough fluff,
                one of the best in the (admittedly uneven) Windling 'Fairy Tales'
                series. The sequel, DRINK DOWN THE MOON, is not quite as good but
                still readable. Stay away from GREENMANTLE, which is a real dud. I
                wasn't able to make myself read THE LITTLE COUNTRY; perhaps I shd
                give it another try.
                Has anyone read his newest book, LITTLE (GRRL) LOST?
                --JDR
              • Cathy Akers-Jordan
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 28, 2007
                  Thank you to everyone who posted about Charles de Lint! Now I have a
                  few titles to look for. :)

                  Cathy
                • alexeik@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 29, 2007
                    Errr... Some of the Newford novels really aren't at all about the 'Bohemian, folk-music-club social set', i.e. Forests of the Heart which is brilliant in both its use of multiple mythologies and its story.

                    _._,___

                    <<
                    Just to show how individual reactions can vary, even though I liked some aspects of the story, I wasn't at all impressed with its "use of multiple mythologies". I felt it tended to reduce all of them to a rather shallow, New Agey common denominator. I was also annoyed by the facile ethnic stereotyping. In my opinion, when De Lint tries to cover so many disparate themes at once he loses his focus, and the story turns out much weaker than one could expect. I far preferred _Someplace to Be Flying_, where the "multiple mythologies" are limited to contrasting Old World and New World versions of the same archetypes (eg, Coyote vs. Reynard the Fox), which gives space to explore them at far greater depth.
                    Alexei

                  • Diane Joy Baker
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 1, 2007
                      Wait 'til you read *Memory and Dream.* That's my fave de Lint. ---djb